5 replies to this topic

#1 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

That photo Chris Rock posted a while back really was a tip-off (no Q-Tip pun intended, really).  Jack and several others are featured on the upcoming Tribe Called Quest album.-- http://www.nytimes.c...d=pl-share&_r=0

When Jack White came to the studio, things fell right into place. “We recorded so many tracks and ideas,” he said. “It’s one of those scenarios where we’re so excited to finally get to work together that it was exploding in a whole different direction. We really didn’t know what we were doing, it was just a ‘hurry up and press record’ kind of moment.” (Q-Tip and Jack White connected when he asked to do an old Tribe song called “Excursions” in his stage show. They learned they were mutual admirers of each other’s work.) Jack White came to the studio without his own gear. “He just took a guitar off the wall and plugged it in and just got his wizard on,” Q-Tip said.

#2 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

I don't even care that Jack is a part of it (though that's pretty cool). I'm just ecstatic that there's a final album

#3 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Cool.

#4 YDKWLI

YDKWLI

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

Any thoughts on the new album? And on the parts Jack plays?

I wonder which parts exactly he plays, the list with credits Pitchfork posted today, doesn't match entirely with the Facebook post on Jack's page:

"A Tribe Called Quest’s new album is out now! Jack White worked on several tracks on the record, contributing and collaborating in many ways, from writing musical parts, to performing bass, guitar, and piano and also co-production. Check out the tracks “Ego,” “The Donald,” and “Solid Wall of Sound," as well as other tracks and surprises"

I can't find any piano nor bass credits in the credits list, but I do hear a lot of parts throughout the entire album that could definitely be him.

Also, the guitar solo at the end of "Lost Somebody" starts at 3:33, so no doubt about that one (but isn't credited either).

#5 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

I wondered if it was him playing guitar on Movin's Backwards.  I'm gonna have to check out that Chris Sholar guy.

I listened to it a few times today while out driving around. I'm going to need a lyric sheet to make out all the words, but overall I'm really digging it. Doubt it'll turn me into a full-fledged hip-hop fan, but there are a few songs that I really like.

#6 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

I listened to it a few times today while out driving around. I'm going to need a lyric sheet to make out all the words, but overall I'm really digging it. Doubt it'll turn me into a full-fledged hip-hop fan, but there are a few songs that I really like.

If you do decide to listen to more hip hop, Kendrick Lamar is a really good person to listen to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users