21 replies to this topic

#1 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Soo this'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

https://twitter.com/...829881732141056

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

My uneducated guess is it's a compilation of excerpts from old interviews. 

#3 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Yeah that could very well be the case. 

#4 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

One of the downsides of books like that, for people who've followed artists' careers pretty closely, is they usually consist primarily of stuff we already know.  Perhaps there'll be a few anecdotes in there that we're not familiar with, though. 

#5 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

One of the downsides of books like that, for people who've followed artists' careers pretty closely, is they usually consist primarily of stuff we already know.  Perhaps there'll be a few anecdotes in there that we're not familiar with, though. 

I'll never know because I won't bother haha

#6 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

Edited by J.C., 04 June 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#7 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

The odd thing is that I (and I assume many others) found out about this through TMR's denouncement announcement of this.

#8 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

Yep. That's how I found out about it.

#9 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, you get "authorized" biographies (in book and/or film form) that often play it pretty safe, usually not revealing anything particularly new, and then you get these "unauthorized" ones that may dig up some interesting, obscure info, but often have a trashier bend.

#10 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

That gave me a flashback to this Get Behind Me Satan era message:

Meg and I also forgot to give you advice about books about our band. Here it is ... don't buy them. They are all horrendous, but Especially stay away from "fell in love with a band" by chris handyside. What a load of excrement he got published! Absolute Shit in our opinion, despite a luke warm review from the new york times. Chris is Another one of our "friends", more so a detroit opportunist, who saw to it to ask all The wrong people, the wrong questions, and have it printed. Of course you realize you can write a book, put someone's picture on the cover, and their names, and not have to get permission or give them a dime for it ... or have any ethics about it at all really. Well chris knew that! Having read it after tea on Sundays (which meg and I do with all the books about Ourselves) we really got tired of hearing lies about some things that never happened. Another shit horrible book about the band is everett trues book. Both of these Are more about cashing a check from publishers who could really care less, than informing a fan about the band. Note to anyone else interested in writing books about us: Why don't you wait thirty years first ... and then write about a band that you actually like.

source

#11 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

thanks for digging that up, Colin!

#12 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I had never seen that. Thanks for posting that, Colin!

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Damn, I wish I'd been around for those messages. They reallyreallyreally make me wish he'd stop with the silliness of Vault chat and go back to just writing stuff like that.

#14 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

I would be for that, but at times it's nice to ask him a question. I really enjoy going into the webarchive and looking at all of those old posts from the website

Edited by matthewvh, 04 June 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

That gave me a flashback to this Get Behind Me Satan era message:source

I thought of this too, but I think a lot of Jack's anger toward Chris Handyside stemmed from Handyside's review of Get Behind Me Satan and suggestion that Jack's marriage was a farce. Chris Handyside actually did get input from The White Stripes' close friends and associates when he wrote Fell In Love With a Band. 

Here is Chris Handyside's review of Get Behind Me Satan.

http://www.metrotime...5/06/08/yo-jack

Sounds like there was some bad blood there.

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 04 June 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#16 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:14 AM

thank you Colin, I had never read that. I have read handyside's (and Ever the Truth's) books several times. Yeah, Chris seemed to have fallen out of love with the band, given that the book was rather gushy and the GBMS review sounded like it was written by a spurned ex.

Damn, I wish I'd been around for those messages. They reallyreallyreally make me wish he'd stop with the silliness of Vault chat and go back to just writing stuff like that.

Yup. Matthew, I'm very happy if Jack answers your questions in that zoo--no, stampede that is the Vault chat. I'm sure your questions are meaningful and as such I hope you are one of those names that Jack VaultChat seems to recognize and answer. I think extended personal messages and Chatfest can coexist.

#17 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,805 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

If it makes at least an half-arsed attempt at critical analysis of White's work rather than just rehashing details of his life it could be bit of fun.

#18 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

If only. Those were the days where he could post stuff like that and it wouldn't be picked up by one single site. It was for the fans. Very intimate and great to read/see. If he did that now, any and every part of it that had any sort of relevance to anything popular would be scrutinized and he'd be the old grouch.

#19 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,805 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:37 AM

I wonder if trucker can log in and let us know what he thinks.

#20 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,189 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users