31 replies to this topic

#21 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

I once owned brokenboysoldiers.com (right when this came out) and had mock up of a website.  Unfortunately, it never came to be...

What was your plan with that, out of curiosity...

#22 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

Toy repair business.

#23 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

^  That made me giggle.

#24 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

B)

#25 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

I always wanted a copy of that copper colored version of BBS that they brought out during the Racontwoers Record Store Day year. Any leads on a relatively cheap one?

#26 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

I've seen a few come up recently over on Facebook for around $200.

I still kick myself a little bit over that record...  The first time I road-tripped to Nashville, I offered here at the LR to pick things up for people and ship them when I got home.  One guy whose name I can't recall asked if I could try to get him a copper BBS.  So I asked for one in the shop, and apparently got the last one in the box. Dunno if it was THE last one, or just the last one they happened to have in the store at the moment, but anyway, when I stopped at a motel that night, I opened it up (it wasn't shrink-wrapped) and spread it out to look at it. It was gorgeous. The artwork on that album is probably my favorite of any of Jack's records, and the copper lps really are pretty.  It crossed my mind ever so briefly to tell the guy here in the LR that I wasnt' able to get one and just keep it, but I didn't, I went ahead and sent it to him when I got home.

Tried to get one a few years ago when TMR had their crazy Refresh-A-Thon sale, but missed it.  Oh well. The black vinyl version is beautiful, too.

Edited by Kali Durga, 11 June 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#27 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm not big on a lot of the Jack collectible stuff, but I wouldn't mind having the copper of that either.

#28 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

I'm like my Saboteurs vinyl.

I think I have that, now I'm not sure.

#29 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

A bit late to the party, but let's talk this album!

I was 19 years old, it was the end of my second semester of college.  I remember everyone being pumped about this band, about this album. Listening to Steady as She Goes/Store Bought Bones on that black & green website... Jack was in his PRIME at this moment as a songwriter. Hot off the heels of WBC, Elephant, Get Behind Me Satan, what could he possibly be doing with this new band!? My expectations honestly were not high, I viewed it as a side project. Little did I know that this was no throw away record, it was the next Jack White album through and through. And who was this other guy, Brendan Benson? A few friends liked him, but I wasn't familiar with his material. I remember buying this album the day it came out, and I was blown away by the sheer quality of it. I remember everything about it, the smell of the ink in the cd booklet, the artwork, keeping it in the CD player in my car for most of the summer. This was an important album to me for many reasons:

-I went out and bought One Mississippi, Lapalco, and The Alternative to Love. Broken Boy Solders made me a huge BB fan

-I actually was very influenced by the style this band had. I loved the clothes they wore, that strange combination of country/indie/70's/Orson Wells (hah).

-It really made me realize how Jack was indeed the real deal. He had already released some masterpieces as The White Stripes, but here he was branching off out of his comfort zone and still making amazing music.

All in all, just good memories. It was an album that made me wish I was in a band, and made me appreciate that such great talent existed in modern music. I will always wish that Jack & Brendan wrote more songs together, this band had so much unfinished business.

While I do enjoy modern Jack White music, I do miss having new releasing that were of this caliber in the quality department. It was a great time to be a fan, I'm happy I got to live through it.  

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 03 July 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#30 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

It's interesting that you say Jack was out of his comfort zone, when I saw them in 2006, I felt like Jack seemed downright breezy, loose, unpressured, as close to comfortable as he could get.

#31 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,439 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Sorry, I'm an idiot and just saw this.

I had it set up very similiar to whitestripes.net just with a more black/white look.  It was just going to be a news site/discog and I was going to link to this forum.  I never quite finished it and then the band started to fade away.

#32 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

I was at that House of Blues show in Cleveland, too! It was a great concert. It means a lot to me, too, because it was one of the first times that I spent time out with my now-wife. It would have been perfect, but our recently dumped friend Steve tagged along, too. Fucking Steve...

Only a month of two ago, we put in the bootleg of the show and felt the strongest urge to go see a concert. It has been SOOO long since I've been listening to a band, and then went to see them live. I've been at festivals where there are musicians playing, some of them really damn cool like Tal National:
But I just haven't been listening to new music enough to actually search anything out.

I remember grabbing this cd the day it came out. I think I went up to my room, listened to it, then I had to take a shower. I grabbed my old cd player, plugged it into the bathroom, and listened to it again in the shower! Looking at it now, I wouldn't call it the best cd (freaking "Call it a Day," man...), but some of the stuff on there is just magical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users