#21 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Why don't I like Blues on two trees....

To me it just sounds like Jack playing around in the studio, trying to be weird. It's interesting to a certain degree, but it's not something I'd want to listen to regularly in the slightest. Once in a great while I'll put it on, and I mean yeah, it stands out because its so unconventional, but to me it really isn't a work of art. It doesn't make me feel anything.

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 12 February 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#22 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

I hadn't actually listened to any of the Blunderbuss or Lazaretto B-sides until today.  Yes, I know, I'm a terrible "fan".

I really like Machine Gun Silhouette, Parallel, and.........this.  This would be the Jack White track I would listen to if I wanted to drink a Martini.  It actually reminds me a bit of a more produced version of Look Me Over Closely.  Obviously, it wouldn't be remotely palatable to members of his audience who only want raw, garagey material from him, but many of those folks have fallen away in the past five years anyways.

Edited by J.C., 14 February 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#23 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

This would be the Jack White track I would listen to if I wanted to drink a Martini.

I've begun to picture Jack dancing around in a top hat and tails, a la Fred Astaire, when I listen to it. The martini fits right in.

#24 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Indeed.

#25 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

I find it funny when some folks get all annoyed with him doing something outside of his typical wheelhouse.  It's a freakin' B-side!  Who cares?! :lol:

#26 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

But when has Jack ever had a "typical wheelhouse"?  Wasn't the b-side of the first WS single a Marlene Dietrich cover, for Pete's sake?  Anyone who has an issue with him doing stuff like this needs to remember that one and stop trying to fit him into some kind of mold that's never fit him to begin with.  I would doubt Jack thinks of himself as having a wheelhouse at all, much less a typical one.

#27 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

I was just referring to punkish blues-rock.  Obviously, he's worked outside those parameters right from the get-go, but some casual listeners don't seem to remember that at times.

#28 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

There's definitely a percentage of his fan base that wants albums full of "Seven Nation Army" and "Ball and Biscuit" clones, but most of those people wouldn't pay attention to his b-sides.  They might listen to 15 seconds of "Blue Light, Red Light" and then make a snide remark in the comments section wherever they heard the song, but that's as far as it goes.  None of them were ever going to buy the single anyway.

But even among the hardcore fans there will always be people who want Jack to return to an earlier style of music.  For some that means before his solo material.  For others it means before he started experimenting on Get Behind Me Satan.  Heck, there are even some who think it was all down hill after the first album.

But the truth is that Kali is right - he never really did have a wheelhouse.  And while I totally understand the tendency to get nostalgic for a past era of his music if you aren't connecting as strongly to the new material, the mistake is believing that returning to a familiar style would result in the same level of quality.

#29 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

..... the mistake is believing that returning to a familiar style would result in the same level of quality.

Or the same level of care, interest, or effort on Jack's part.  If he wanted to make music in exactly the same style as before, he would.

#30 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

Exactly.

Oh, and by the way, Jack announced in Vault chat yesterday that the Black Bat Licorice video is coming out today. 

#31 Jack White Mini me!

Jack White Mini me!

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

Video is out, it's interactive and pretty damn cool 

#32 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

And here's a link, for anyone who's not sure where to find it--  http://jackwhiteiii....ackbatlicorice/

Version "3" for me, thanks. 

#33 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

That video is so damn cool. I love the illustrated one. So cool switching back and forth between them. Well, done.

#34 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

I can't play with it as much as I'd like to here at work, this is making me itch to get home and fiddle about with my 3 and B buttons.  Shame we didn't have a snow day today instead of yesterday!

#35 ariabee

ariabee

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Dying to get home to play around with the video. Such a clever idea for the video :)

#36 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

I can't play with it as much as I'd like to here at work, this is making me itch to get home and fiddle about with my 3 and B buttons.  Shame we didn't have a snow day today instead of yesterday!

Kinky.

I love how Jack keeps surprising us.  Good man.

#37 outlaw

outlaw

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

It's so much fun playing around with the videos.

Wasn't there something similar last year or the year before with a Bob Dylan video? Like one video over different TV-stations?

#38 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

Very fucking cool. Those animated dancing bats are the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

#39 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Great video. I like flipping between the B and the 3. This is off topic but I love Ben Blackwell's leather jacket with the tiger patch.

0a799d36989f74c4d805027e597e6957_zpse9ea

#40 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

I'm gonna hassle my local alternative rock radio station (The Peak) to play TBBL.  They didn't play WYFFML, and it'd be nice if they played at least two songs off the current album (this and Lazaretto, which was in fairly heavy rotation a while back).  I mean, heck, they did a "Check This Out" for High Ball Stepper (which was probably a little too raw for their format) and Just One Drink (probably too retro-sounding), so I don't know why they can't do one for TBBL.  This is a song that deserves to be out there, for all to hear.

ETA:  The Zone, out of Victoria, BC, already has it in rotation.

Edited by J.C., 18 February 2015 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users