Photo

February 2, 2015 - NORMAN, OK (McCasland Fieldhouse at OU)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hope Helen, Sam, and Angie have a tremendous time!

#3 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

I found this via twitter:

https://twitter.com/...492032787038208

To recap: Jack White hates the OU Daily, lawyers, journalists and OU's smoking ban. He loves guacamole, philosophy classes and rocking out

#4 stripe81

stripe81

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

Here is a review of the show from my sister. I was working the merch table all night and listened from the lobby. -Hank

First off, the show was ridiculously incredible. Maybe my favorite solo Jack show I've seen.. I was so happy he didn't let the OU Daily mess cause him to play a short set - instead he played for almost 3 hours! He made a comment about it (in Jack White fashion, of course) and I don't remember all of it, but he said something along the lines of "I had 3 reporters in my dressing room with a camera and a magnifying glass." He also joked about the Freedom of Information Act 2 or 3 times. Later on in the show, he took another jab (I'm assuming) by suggesting everyone who has the money or means to take a Philosophy class at school, and steer clear of the Law and Journalism classes. "Just because it's legal.....doesn't make it right!" and "Just because you can type it on a computer....doesn't make it true!" are the quotes I remember from that part.

Towards the beginning of the show, Jack went to the left side of the stage and leaned in towards the crowd looking. He waved over a security guard and had him pull two little girls from the front row. They were moved to side stage and stayed there for the rest of the night. Jack went over there multiple times while he was playing and interacted with them. I talked to them and their mom after the show, and they were very excited! They love Jack! The oldest gal was only 10. :)

Here are the songs I can remember off the top of my head:
(First 3 songs he played - in order)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
High Ball Stepper
Lazaretto

(Out of order/off the top of my head. *** = my favorites from this particular live show)
Hotel Yorba
Three Women *** (incredible energy during this one, at the end he said "And that's a true story!" haha.)
Top Yourself ***
I'm Slowly Turning into You ***
Temporary Ground
Just One Drink
The Black Bat Licorice 
I Fought Piranha's
Let's Build A Home
John the Revelator (possibly during Let's Build A Home, I can't remember for sure)
Cannon
Ball and Biscuit 
The Rose With The Broken Neck

Encore: 
Icky Thump (first song of encore - the energy was killer. the curtains opened and Jack was standing on the monitor.)

(out of order)
Steady As She Goes
Fell in Love with a Girl
We're Going to Be Friends
Love Interruption 
Blunderbuss/I'm Waiting For the Man (Velvet Underground)
Broken Boy Soldier
Would You Fight For My Love? (second to last)
Seven Nation Army (last)

At the end of the show, he said "If you've got a mother, go home and hug her and tell her you love her."

At some point, he talked about Woody Guthrie and Wanda Jackson being from Oklahoma. He said "Woody be like..!" and went into a snippet of "This Land is Your Land". Then he said "Wanda be like..!" and went into "Let's Have A Party". Awesome. He of course told the crowd how much he loves Oklahoma, he said "I'm usually in Tulsa.. I'm happy to be here tonight. I just get a good feeling in Oklahoma!"

During another song (I think Ball and Biscuit), he said "Don't let people tell you what to feel, who to listen to, or what to think" a few times in place of other lyrics.

Overall, the show was completely brilliant. I'm still shocked at how long he played, and how excited he was the whole time. Like I said, probably my favorite time I've seen Jack solo.

Also, don't pay any attention to the OU Daily's extremely pathetic review of the show. Jack's vocals sounded great. And their ridiculous comment about Daru's drumming "not fitting" the arrangement of Hotel Yorba? Nonsense. Daru played so well. Killed it. Every band member played an excellent show and they all seemed to really be enjoying it. 

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, I'm certainly leaving songs out. I really wish I would have kept a set list on my phone. Hopefully someone else was here and can fill in whatever I've missed!
- Christy

Icky Thump
http://youtu.be/f6qzemUCiJY

Edited by stripe81, 03 February 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#5 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great show.

I Fought Piranhas, Let's Build a Home, and Broken Boy Soldier all in the same show? Damn

#6 Little Jellybee

Little Jellybee

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thank you for your great review!!  OU daily reminds me of a 5 year old kid, someone make them listen to "effect and cause" please.

#7 showbiz78

showbiz78

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

just took the time to create an OU account because i had a genius comment

almost as good as george's "well the jerk store called, and they ran out of you..."

is this a college newspaper, or high school? really, really proud of myself. 

#8 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Sounds like a great show!!! Glad you had a good time. He seems to really be enjoying himself these last few shows.

That's good, he deserves it.

#9 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Of the 3 shows I saw on this leg, this was my favorite. My hometown! 💗 Btw, the OU Daily is a joke around here. Please don't think it represents all of us Normanites.

#10 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

I can't believe they printed the bloody catering contract.  It'd be one thing to list one weird item (such as somebody demanding all the green M&Ms be removed from the bowl), but to actually print the entire thing?  Why don't they just send someone over to whatever diner Jack and Co. choose to eat at in the near future, and write down every item they eat?  Fucking ignorant.  Even more ignorant that they act like Jack's being the ass in this situation.

I don't know...I don't think that's going to help OU draw any bigger artists there in the future.  And they brought it on themselves, to be honest.  And the students suffer as a result.

Edited by J.C., 05 February 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#11 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yes, let's please keep discussing the idiotic misstep of a college newspaper. That's the most noteworthy part of the evening.

Anyway! I was beside those two girls and stood next to the youngest girl's father for 3.3 billion hours before the show and had a lot of time to talk to him (we were both at the Okc stripes show in 2003!), as well as his daughter before and during the show. Her birthday is the same as mine, so we bonded over being Valentine babies. She could barely peep her eyes over the rail, so anytime Jack would come over to our side I would try to step back from the rail, hoping to make her a little more visible. I was hoping he pull them side of stage, but if not, I thought maybe he'd let them watch from the other side of the rail because she just could not see, and security were being dicks about it.

I felt like the mood of the show shifted when he pulled them onstage. At the start of the show he was having all kinds of equipment problems and seemed to be quite frustrated. It felt very tense to me, but after the girls were side of stage, his mood seemed to lighten and he was more smiley and talkative.

Shout outs to Woody Guthrie and Wanda Jackson!
Let's Build a Home!
John the Revelator!
Cannon!
Fell In Love with a Girl! (Fast!)
Broken Boy Solder!
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground on piano!
I Fought Piranhas!

Such a great show. The Albuqurque show the next night was quite a contrast. He barely spoke or smiled at all to the audience at that one, whereas he was quite smiley and chatty at this one.

Edited by Angelina79, 05 February 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#12 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

I'm glad the show itself came off well.

#13 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Anyways, here's a Letter To The Editor that the folks who organized this concert sent to the newspaper.  I think it's pretty reasonable:

http://www.oudaily.c...326b26d0e6.html

We have already been contacted by several music industry professionals
expressing their dismay at the OU Daily's reaction to such a popular
concert on our campus, including William Morris Endeavor’s President of Music
who was so upset about the article that he said WME would never play an OU show again.

Hopefully it blows over, and the paper, even if it doesn't represent the position of most of its students, more carefully considers what it prints in the future.  I can understand them wanting to keep track of how the money from student fees is being managed (especially when it comes to entertainment properties which only cater to a segment of the student body, at best), but using it as a platform to mock artists in an article before a show does not engender goodwill.

Edited by J.C., 06 February 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#14 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

The rider is pretty fine. Sort of endearing in a weird way.

#15 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Posting the rider online was purely clickbait (as were all the follow-up articles, such as "Jack White is a thin-skinned asshole").  They knew what they were doing, as do all the websites who bring up the guacamole recipe as the point of contention.  Sometimes they put specific instructions in those riders just to make sure the people reading them are paying attention.  That said, I've heard of people having nut allergies where they couldn't even be in the same room as a peanut (I'm allergic to peanuts, but I can be in the same vicinity as them), but the banana one is new to me, assuming it wasn't intended as a joke.

Again, I can understand them not wanting to spend a ridiculous amount on entertainment with student fees, but if they really want to clamp down on that, they should just limit themselves to low-cost performances by relatively unknown artists looking for attention.  Or take some sort of poll amongst the student body before booking an artist (say, you have to reach a certain threshold, percentage-wise, before going ahead with plans).

#16 angelfaery3

angelfaery3

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:09 AM

of course jack makes food requests, he has to eat something everyday. he's an adult so i'm pretty sure he makes his own decisions about his meals on a daily basis. posting about the money in the contract wasn't classy or need to know info but blacklisting for being "mocked"? why would Layne Ferguson lie about that? any threat to freedom of press in unacceptable. Jack trying to silence Emily Sharp looks insane, not the lack of bananas.

#17 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

WME is blacklisting to protect their clients from having their personal info leaked in the future.

#18 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

For maybe 15 hot seconds in a medley Jack played this riff:

Thank you Helen for placing it!! :)

I'm trying to remember when this happened... I feel like it was before Let's Have a Party or maybe just during a jam? Does anyone recall?

#19 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

It's a pretty bare-bones guac recipe.  That's mostly what's offensive.

#20 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

what's offensive is when people put mayo or other weird stuff into their guac.  i think this is a solid recipe, especially if you want some heat.  personally, i like to go with just avocado, onion, tomato, lemon, and some salt and pepper.  too many ingredients downgrade the wonderfulness of the avocado.  

will we see jack in an avocado commercial now?  

Edited by stripes42, 07 February 2015 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users