Photo

January 31, 2015 - COLUMBUS, OH (Schottenstein Center at OSU)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 ledhead

ledhead

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Worth it just for Jack's Bob Dylan impression.

#3 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

Freaking awesome show !!!!! Got rail with my kid - so much to tell. Grateful he came to Columbus!

#4 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

^^^^^awesome for you

Did he paint his face white like Dylan?

#5 ledhead

ledhead

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:52 PM

No just a story about how he came to record You Know That I Know

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, a very funny story with a hilarious impression of a phone call with Bob in which Jack let slip that he apparently didn't recognize poison ivy when he was weeding around his irises.  One of a few moments of spontaneity tonight that had me really kicking myself that I delayed my flight from NYC to Columbus so that I could get a few hours sleep in NY.  I swore after Radio City that I would never again see Jack from a seat, that I would do whatever I had to to see him from the rail.  I bent that rule for this show and was reminded of why I'd set it in the first place. There's just too much disconnect when I have to spend the night bobbing my head and craning my neck to see the stage around people who are constantly leaning over to have conversations with the people next to and in front of them and making out with their girlfriend right in front of me.  That tall, bald motherfucker at Schottenstein doesn't know how much willpower it took for me to not launch myself down two rows and punch him in the head.

Other than that, there was also Black Bat Licorice into Broken Boy Soldier, which would've melted my brain if I'd been down front but still got me fairly excited up in the seats, and a snippet of Let's Build a Home and Suzy Lee.  Oh, and Cannon/(crap, I was excited over this one but am drawing a blank, why isn't it on setlist.fm yet?)/Pipeline/Cannon.  There can never be enough Pipeline.

So, did anyone get Jack's full drink recipe?  I got Coca-Cola, Red Bull, pineapple juice, Kahlua, vodka, and Ohio tap water, but there were three or four more ingredients that I can't remember.

#7 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, a very funny story with a hilarious impression of a phone call with Bob in which Jack let slip that he apparently didn't recognize poison ivy when he was weeding around his irises.  One of a few moments of spontaneity tonight that had me really kicking myself that I delayed my flight from NYC to Columbus so that I could get a few hours sleep in NY.  I swore after Radio City that I would never again see Jack from a seat, that I would do whatever I had to to see him from the rail.  I bent that rule for this show and was reminded of why I'd set it in the first place. There's just too much disconnect when I have to spend the night bobbing my head and craning my neck to see the stage around people who are constantly leaning over to have conversations with the people next to and in front of them and making out with their girlfriend right in front of me.  That tall, bald motherfucker at Schottenstein doesn't know how much willpower it took for me to not launch myself down two rows and punch him in the head.

Other than that, there was also Black Bat Licorice into Broken Boy Soldier, which would've melted my brain if I'd been down front but still got me fairly excited up in the seats, and a snippet of Let's Build a Home and Suzy Lee.  Oh, and Cannon/(crap, I was excited over this one but am drawing a blank, why isn't it on setlist.fm yet?)/Pipeline/Cannon.  There can never be enough Pipeline.

So, did anyone get Jack's full drink recipe?  I got Coca-Cola, Red Bull, pineapple juice, Kahlua, vodka, and Ohio tap water, but there were three or four more ingredients that I can't remember.

whiskey was in there..something unintelligible...can't remeber more

Kali - u sure get around ;)

#8 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

Story about girl n maumee, Ohio was funny till he lost his thought

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

I kind of though that was on purpose, that he was leading us on to make us think he was going to tell the whole story with no intention to do so because he really wanted to make a different kind of point.  

#10 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

What was that story about? 

#11 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

I kind of though that was on purpose, that he was leading us on to make us think he was going to tell the whole story with no intention to do so because he really wanted to make a different kind of point.  

That, or give the guy time to clean up or fix his guitar or whatever...

#12 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:15 AM

Great show. The second half/encore started with a blistering version of Fell In Love With a Girl. It was my first time hearing it live, so I was pumped. Great to hear good chunks of let's build a home and all of Suzy Lee. He also teased Bound to Pack It Up. A lot of great songs I had yet to hear in person. Jack was in a very good mood and it was a solid show. Prints were sold out when I arrived.

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

I think I saw you ^^ down at the end of the row, but I had no voice yesterday so wasn't sure you'd be able to hear me if I came down to say hello.

#14 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

How was the sound?

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

What was the story about the girl in Maumee about?

#16 ledhead

ledhead

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

Sound was fairly good for an arena. There were points when the heavy instrumentation on some songs got jumbled together, but everything sounded good to me for the most part.

I also loved Jack's spiel about Ohio and Michigan coming together during the band intro. As a proud Ohioan and OSU fan it really made me laugh.

Edited by ledhead, 01 February 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#17 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

^^^^^ :) He's quite entertaining when he want's to be. Glad you all had a good show.

#18 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

Shaylee, he didn't go into any details, just told us that he once knew a girl in Maumee then went into a spiel (that's the new word to replace "rant", thank you for using it just now, ledhead) about how it doesn't matter if you have 15 girlfriends or 6 wives or however many husbands or boyfriends, what matters is do you feel good right now??  And then he went into Three Women. 

I'm drawing a blank at the moment-- What was the context again when he was listing all the cities in Ohio?

#19 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

So he was in a chatty mood? I wish he had been chattier in Austin.

#20 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Shaylee, he didn't go into any details, just told us that he once knew a girl in Maumee then went into a spiel (that's the new word to replace "rant", thank you for using it just now, ledhead) about how it doesn't matter if you have 15 girlfriends or 6 wives or however many husbands or boyfriends, what matters is do you feel good right now??  And then he went into Three Women. 

I'm drawing a blank at the moment-- What was the context again when he was listing all the cities in Ohio?

I think he was just saying thanks to everyone that came and started to name a lot of them. I loved the moment he called the two roadies out to make him that drink. There are multiple great pics of that on the site. Were you wearing the stripes/greenhornes shirt? If so, I may have noticed your face. I was the shorter dude next to the very tall white gentlemen with the big curly fro haha.

Also a couple of funny pics of when someone spiller Jack's drink and he threw his hands up in the air.

Edited by Ak1nney, 01 February 2015 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users