Photo

January 24, 2015 - AUSTIN, TX (Austin Music Hall)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 hardertobe

hardertobe

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Let the excitement begin!

There were about six people in line this morning at 10am when I was driving past the venue. I wonder how many are there now.

Edited by hardertobe, 24 January 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

*sigh*  So sad about this show. I thought I was going to have to work all the way through today, so I made arrangements only for the Sunday show. On Thursday, I realized that I was getting stuff at work wrapped up and that I probably wouldn't have to work today after all. But it would have cost probably $500 or more to change my travel arrangements and get a ticket to the show, so here I sit, knowing I could have been in line with Helen and Sam right now.  I know they're going to have a tremendous time tonight, and the three of us will have a tremendous time together tomorrow night.

#4 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

That's a bummer :/

Hopefully audio from this show (and every other show) will appear at some point

#5 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Kali must suffer for our sins. ;)

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

I'll suffer for my own sins, thanks very much, there've certainly been enough of them. I don't need yours piled on top.

Shaylee just posed on FB that Chicano Batman, the opening act, is comically bad.

#7 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

Welp, I sure hope there's audio and/or video for this show. A person from Swirl said, Charlie Sexton played Ball and Biscuit with Jack and Broken Boy Soldier was played twice in full. One in the beginning of the show and the other at the end of the encore.

Edited by matthewvh, 25 January 2015 - 01:35 AM.

#8 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

Rhetorical question: Who else gives you I Fought Piranhas, Broken Boy Soldier twice, John the Revelator, Ball and Biscuit with Charlie Sexton (as mentioned) and A Closer Walk With Thee, among others? I mean, come on, who else?

Btw the first BBS was quite near the beginning of the show.

Edited by Aquamarine, 25 January 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#9 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

Whoa, that's amazing.

And yes, my mistake. I misread his post

#10 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

Damn Aqua, that sounds glorious. Dear gods do I hope Jack brings BBS & John the Revelator to NYC next week.

#11 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:35 AM

Was Charlies hair in a perfect pompadour quaff???? God when his first album PICTURES FOR PLEASURE came out so many moons ago, He sent this gay mans heart a flutter just a little fucking bit, with his matinee idol good looks and retro twangy guitar style. He even made the beginning years of Dylan's never ending tour bearable. Would think he would have a fun time guitar wrangling with jack, THAT must have been a pleasure to watch.

Edited by avard, 25 January 2015 - 06:39 AM.

#12 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

They were having a blast together. Jack was all smiles.

#13 hardertobe

hardertobe

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

Great concert. Jack was very happy and energetic. He spent a lot of time with each song, drawing out lyrics, tons of amazing guitar work and soloing. The band was, of course on it, and the crowd definitely exceeded my expectations.  There was a bunch of really good interaction; the crowd participation to Slowly Turning Into You was really spooky in a good way (not the "woooo" part, but the repeated slow chanting of "slowly turning into you... and I'm slowly turning intoooooo yoouuuuuuuuuu.. and I'm slowly turning intooooo youuuuuuuuu." 

I think the setlist above is exactly accurate.  I didn't know the old gospel song he played, but it was fun.

Fought Piranhas was a great surprise, and Apple Blossom with Jack on the piano.

Icky Thump coming out after the intermission is so powerful.

I hadn't seen him do Broken Boy Solider in a long time.   He did do it twice!!  It appeared to me that during the first verse of the second time, he realized he was repeating the song.... no matter, he then inserted some alternate lyrics, then let the guitar take over. 

The venue's sound really was as bad as many reviews online.  Lile Mae's vocals (who I really enjoy) were tough to hear (as were the openers). Jack himself wasn't too affected by it.

Such great music and a great time.

#14 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

Review:

http://music.blog.au...usic-hall-show/

#15 gibsona07

gibsona07

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

I'd love to hear a recording of Just a Closer Walk With Thee. Also, being a big big fan of Bob Dylan's current touring set-up, I'm excited by the thought of Charlie joining jack. B)

#16 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Review:

http://music.blog.au...usic-hall-show/

This reads like it was written by a 12 year old and then proof-read by an adult who gave up before the last paragraph. 

#17 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I just posted it because it was the only review I saw at the time, but OK.

#18 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

We joked that he repeated Broken Boy Soldier because I made it in for the second set.  Obviously I don't believe that, but I was still damned grateful for it.  Made up for me missing all the great stuff in the first set.

#19 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

oh, that's it!^^ so glad you got to see the second half!

#20 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

How'd you get in for the second set?  Scalpers outside selling tickets for cheap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users