225 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Now that nearly everyone has received their 22 package... let the speculation begin.

I imagine that the new package will be announced early in January?

I'm going to guess something to do with The Dead Weather in order to build hype for their new album that they've started recording. 

Will they continue to impress after the magnificence of Vault 22? or dial it down?

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

We'll know within one to two weeks. 

#3 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

I'm kinda hoping it'll be Dead Weather stuff because I'll most likely have to sit out on this one. I'm not into them as much as I am interested in Jack solo, TWS, and Racs. But who knows... I'll might cave in and get it depending on what it is.

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

That reminds me, I still haven't listened to the DW single that came with Vault 21...

#5 Gerrit

Gerrit

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

its ten years since GBMS

Edited by Gerrit, 25 December 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#6 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

its ten years since GBMS

I could see that in the second or third quarter.

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Will GBMS be a Vault package, an RSD release, both, or neither?

#8 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

Will GBMS be a Vault package, an RSD release, both, or neither?

Maybe both? Like Elephant did for record store day with the limited edition release and then a standard black vinyl release. Then for the vault, the 2005 performance in which they played every GBMS track at one of the Chicago shows?

#9 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

if they wanna do a GBMS vault release, it'd be a great idea to do that Live Album origin concept.

The general public needs a vinyl version of the album, it should not by any means be limited to the people in The Vault.

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 25 December 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

The general public needs a vinyl version of the album, it should not by any means be limited to the people in The Vault.

I've said that in previous conversations, too. But sometimes it seems like anything that people really want automatically enters their brain as "Vault release!". 

The problem with doing the original idea of the live studio recording of GBMS now, though, is... who's going to play the songs with Jack?  I highly doubt Meg would come out of retirement for it, and I can imagine that, while some folks would probably really dig it, a whole lot of people might take serious issue with Jack recording those songs with his current band or anyone else.  Or have people become accepting enough by now for that to not cause controversy?

#11 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

I could see them releasing that Chicago show where they played it straight through as the vault release. GBMS will definitely not be limited to vault only.

#12 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

I've said that in previous conversations, too. But sometimes it seems like anything that people really want automatically enters their brain as "Vault release!". 

The problem with doing the original idea of the live studio recording of GBMS now, though, is... who's going to play the songs with Jack?  I highly doubt Meg would come out of retirement for it, and I can imagine that, while some folks would probably really dig it, a whole lot of people might take serious issue with Jack recording those songs with his current band or anyone else.  Or have people become accepting enough by now for that to not cause controversy?

I don't care if he wants to record it with other people. As long as it's not labeled as "The White Stripes"

#13 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

It would be a crime to record it live or whatever with another group of people.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

I don't care if he wants to record it with other people. As long as it's not labeled as "The White Stripes"

It would be a crime to record it live or whatever with another group of people.

Yup, that's what I expected. Same dichotomy of opinion as when the Blunderbuss tour began and people wondered if he was going to play Stripes songs solo.

#15 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yup, that's what I expected. Same dichotomy of opinion as when the Blunderbuss tour began and people wondered if he was going to play Stripes songs solo.

I wasn't huge on stripes covers in the beginning, but I grew to accept it. Re-recording an entire album with other people and getting away with it by calling it live... I don't think that would go over with the die hards. Huge difference between just doing something from an album at a show live vs. recording a full piece of art in a studio for a proper release. Jack wouldn't do it. With Jack being the biggest fan of the White Stripes music, I think he would see the issue with it. I might sound like a complete snob, but I feel like the only people that would be into it are the people that just haven't dug deep enough into the band to see why it wouldn't be special to do it that way. Now if it's Jack and Meg, no issue.

- Not pointing fingers, just having conversation. Most people on this board are pretty big fans.

#16 outlaw

outlaw

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

And who would sing "Passive manipulation"?

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

^^ Excellent question.

I wasn't huge on stripes covers in the beginning, but I grew to accept it. Re-recording an entire album with other people and getting away with it by calling it live... I don't think that would go over with the die hards. Huge difference between just doing something from an album at a show live vs. recording a full piece of art in a studio for a proper release. Jack wouldn't do it. With Jack being the biggest fan of the White Stripes music, I think he would see the issue with it. I might sound like a complete snob, but I feel like the only people that would be into it are the people that just haven't dug deep enough into the band to see why it wouldn't be special to do it that way. Now if it's Jack and Meg, no issue.

- Not pointing fingers, just having conversation. Most people on this board are pretty big fans.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with you.  I did not have an issue with Stripes covers at his solo shows, and I can see how it could be very interesting to hear what he'd do with those songs with a full band.  But there's a big difference between covering a few songs and re-doing an entire album.  An album is a snap-shot of where those musicians were at that time.  While re-recording the whole thing with new musicians could end up creating brand new and fresh versions of those songs, it would also run the risk of becoming something that Jack recently said he tries to avoid as much as possible-- an exercise in nostalgia.

#18 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of alternate mix of gbms as vault release, I think that most of people around here are pretty much aware that the overall sound and production were propably biggest milestone on tws discography in terms of influencing already a whole next generation of rock bands, and it became something that sorta paved a way for things that were yet to come for Jack.

That Bering sai

#19 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Sorry for post cut in half but I type on the phone because I have insomnia :S

- that beeing said Id love to see how much it could be done with it if Jack would take those tapes into tmr studio and fiddle around with them for a bit
Coda by Led zepps is a good example, all these tracks were recorded over ten years or so, but with a bit of tinkering Page managed to give them all really coherent sound, so maybe something in reverse could be done with gbms?

#20 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

On a second thought it feels s bit like s nostalgia trip but still if like to see that Bering done with couple tracks like album singles ;)

Anyway it sounds more like somewthing we might be seeing on 20th anniversary rather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users