#1 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Per latest News at TMR.com--  http://thirdmanrecor...single-spotted/

Recently Third Man Records has been made aware of the discovery of two different copies found by two separate individuals of the 2nd single by the Upholsterers. This duo, comprising of actual upholsterers Jack White and Brian Muldoon, pressed 100 copies of this single and proceeded to hide them in furniture being reupholstered by Muldoon in 2004, in celebration of his 25th year in the business. In celebration of these discoveries, Third Man would like to share with everyone the cover art for this single, done by noted Detroit artist Gordon Newton.

SetRatioSize700700-upholst2.jpg

SetRatioSize700700-Uphost.jpg

"Your furniture was always dead... I was just afraid to tell you"  Haha, love that!

#2 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Interesting how the single was no where to be found and then all of the sudden they are found in two different locations by two different people.

#3 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Should have been three...

#4 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,801 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:24 AM

Cool!

#5 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Cooler than ice cream !!!

How long will it take before it is on EBay ?

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

Interesting how the single was no where to be found and then all of the sudden they are found in two different locations by two different people.

Dominic posted about this on FB. I asked if he could tell us anything about how they were found and all he said was "Oh, there's nothing to share! There are records in couches and upholsterers are finding them..."

#7 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Sound like a convincing story. A lot.

#8 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

My jaw actually dropped open when I read about this. These records had become almost mythological. 

#9 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

Exactly, almost seems too good to be true. The Holy Grail of Jack White vinyl.

#10 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

I'm always suspicious, but I want to believe this.

#11 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Good way to stir interest and provide a backstory to an upcoming Upholsterers release. 

#12 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

I've been thinking about this a lot since the news came out & IMO it doesn't seem impossible for the discovery of the 7"s to be legit. Sure the circumstances are weird, but the whole thing was incredibly weird from the get go. If this was just a sneaky way to promote a new release I'd expect there to be more info out there, track names etc, so little "hey, isn't this cool?" footnote of a story TMR posted makes me think it's more likely to be real. And if there is to be a new Upholsterers release why not just come out & promote it like anything else? TMR is definitely no stranger to eccentric marketing tactics but this'd be a straight up lie, which doesn't seem like them. And like most lies it'd be figured out sooner or later which'd make them look like assholes, so why risk alienating fans for the sake of what'd most likely be a one off release? I dunno. The whole thing is so strange.

In the end though the legitimacy of the story doesn't matter a whit to me, if there's unheard Upholsters tracks out there I just want to hear them ASAP. So please get on that, TMR  :lol: 

#13 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

I would like to believe that TMR would not lie to us.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

I believe that Third Man might elaborate or embellish, either to hype something or to mislead us in order to create mystery.  I believe that they sometimes tell us one thing and then change their minds and do another.  But I don't believe that they would just completely fabricate something like this.  My feeling is they left the details vague so that people wouldn't immediately track down the folks who found these and harass them, and for that reason I mentioned above-- The thrill of the mystery of it.  Whether this announcement is a precedent for something to follow, as some folks are guessing/hoping, we'll just have to wait and see. 

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

#15 Hanska

Hanska

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think its a lie to create promotion.

#16 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

I think the story of them putting the singles in couches is true, but I think them being found by two people around the same time may not be. It's a good way to support what has been said all along about there being singles hidden in couches and if they're going to be in the next or future Vault package (which I think is likely) this discovery would make their release of them seem more "organic". I don't know. Maybe I'm overthinking it. 

#17 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, I would like to hear some specifics... who found them?  How did they find them?  I assume it was two different people, not connected to one another?

#18 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

I assume it was two different people, not connected to one another?

Correct

#19 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:51 AM

Can nobody else here remember when/how we first found out about these? It was in 2006 or 2007 (I think, such a long time ago) when Sean (The nice Irish guy, he doesn't post here any more and I don't remember his username) did a radio show for his college, or something along those lines, and interviewed Brian Muldoon, with Brian just casually dropping the information in. So I'm quite certain they really are kicking around in furniture, we've known about it for over 5 years.

Maybe TMR want to do a release or Vault now though. I hope they do, would love to hear it.

#20 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

I (almost) believe everything about this story except the art work on the singles. Smacks of DW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users