69 replies to this topic

#41 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well, that's good.  Maybe the rock radio stations will play that.

#42 jokrogel

jokrogel

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Parallel may be Ikey's last studio performance. He plays piano and moog on it. See back cover: http://thirdmanstore...my-love-7-vinyl

#43 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

kind of ironic-- ikey's last performance is on a song written by his successor

#44 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

When I went back to parallel I thought this would be awesome for Ikey to play.

#45 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

Received my 7" this evening.  I think that if I were one of Jack's peers, I would be both honored and nervous to know he was planning to cover one of my songs.  His version of Parallel is, like most of his other covers, a whole new song. And a gorgeous one, too.

#46 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

More info on parallel?

#47 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

What sort of info? 

#48 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

How it sounds, what sticks out? Haha anything I don't have mine yet.

#49 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

I put my impressions into a spoiler in case some folks want their first listen to be un-colored--

Spoiler

Edited by Kali Durga, 09 November 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#50 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

yes, they tried to deliver Saturday. Not a complaint, I'm impressed with the efficiency. But the consistency scrabbles my mind.

with all this talk about the b-side and not a mention of the a, why not release two non-album tracks instead?

Edited by macwacky, 09 November 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#51 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

The a-side was talked about how many months ago when the album came out?  Since they didn't do this the "normal" way, with singles coming out before and right at the album release, the a-sides are well familiar by now.  So, heck, I agree-- Why not just put out non-album track singles at this point? 

#52 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

Thanks Kali!!!

#53 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

No problem. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions when you get your copy, see if you hear anything it differently.

I wrote this over at the Vault last night, thought I'd throw it in here just for the sake of potential conversation--

Went out driving today through the countryside around the West VA/Maryland border. Came around a curve at dusk to see rolling fields stretching out from the road and the sun setting behind the mountains beyond, just as Jack and Lillie Mae's voices soared at the end of Parallel. As sad as that song is in light of Ikey's death, in that moment it gave me such a rush of euphoria that I burst out laughing. I'm so grateful to Jack and the whole Lazaretto band/family for gifts like that from this album. When all is said and done, I don't know whether Lazaretto will be remembered as one of Jack's more notable records but, between certain things in the Vault 20 book, this year's tour, and moments like today, I've had so many emotional experiences connected with it that it's becoming very, very special to me.

#54 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

single just arrived. Did anyone mention that Dean happens to be on the a side?

#55 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yeah I saw that from the photo of the album cover weird that he also plays electric guitar with jack on that song. Guitar isn't prominent in the song I can't see why it would require two. Makes me think it was recorded same time as power of my love since he was also on that.

#56 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

No one noticed that Dean played on WYFFML when the album came out back in June?  According to Jack, WYFFML is a combination of three different songs--  The male band played on one part, the female band played on another, and both bands apparently played on a third. Then they had to blend them all together during the mixing process.  Jack talked about that in the book that came with Vault 20 and in some recent interviews.

But, yes, very apropos that Jack's cover of Dean would be on the same single.

#57 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Kali just got mine and the song is amazing. Beautiful blend of all instruments involved. The lyric I know you all too well sounded exactly like I thought it would by Jack. Its a lot to take in as a song and I expect it will grow on me even more. Just like with blunderbuss and MGS I wish this and power of my love made the album. The first two b sides have been epic with the lazaretto singles. I fear the next one will be a weird one like blues on two trees haha. What I love about the b sides especially MGS, POML, and parallel is the songs seem to have more room to breath and have great instrumental breaks.

Edited by mmshuster, 12 November 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#58 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Ah, cool!

What I love about the b sides especially MGS, POML, and parallel is the songs seem to have more room to breath and have great instrumental breaks.

Interesting observation. Any idea why it seems these songs have more of that breathing room?

#59 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

I really don't know why. One thing ive noticed about Jacks albums are that he tends to underplay most of them which isn't a bad thing it gives them room to take the song in a million different directions live. I guess the b sides feel more like life performances. I don't think its lack of content either, just a different energy he brings to it. Its like a taste of the energy he brings on stage which is what makes him my favorite performer. It makes the songs feel more complete or something, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Edited by mmshuster, 12 November 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#60 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

That's an interesting thing to think about. I agree it'd be great if he added some of his b-sides to his set.  Machine Gun would be a lot of fun, and Parallel could be even more beautiful live.  

Edited by Kali Durga, 12 November 2014 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users