Photo

September 24, 2014 - COLUMBIA, SC (Township Auditorium)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Please, Jack, REST YOUR ANKLE UP after this show! :lol:

#3 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Sounds like some Carolina drama.
http://instagram.com...hao/?modal=true

One user commented "6 songs and now waiting for an encore???? Cmon Jack!"

Edited by WhiteBloodCells35, 24 September 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#4 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

Ha!

http://instagram.com...hQe/?modal=true

#5 Sea Frog

Sea Frog

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'll post more tomorrow but the show was awesome. Jack played his guitar with his comb while laying on the floor. Jack had a blast. At the end of the show he said he had never played here before but after tonight he was going to get here again. Crowd was on point the whole time.

#6 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

^^ I agree! Talking with people afterward, the consensus was that the highlight was I Cut Like a Buffalo, an amazing new arrangement that I will officially DIE if nobody has recorded it. <3 No Hotel Yorba again (though closed with 7NA). One verse of Old Enough, another emotional version of You've Got Her in Your Pocket, Little Room again. A totally worthy show to close the US tour (so far, anyway--don't want to jinx the thought of future dates!).

#7 Sea Frog

Sea Frog

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Above setlist seems correct.

Edited by Sea Frog, 25 September 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#8 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

:wub:

Sounds like some Carolina drama.
http://instagram.com...hao/?modal=true

One user commented "6 songs and now waiting for an encore???? Cmon Jack!"

:lol: :P!!! Oh there was more drama than you could imagine. But no seriously, it was sooooo f'ing hot in the auditorium last night.  They were only off stage for about 5 minutes.

Anyway....I am always astounded by the nice people that I meet at these shows. People who love music with really great hearts. I got there and was so happy to see Helen again. We chatted it up for a few and then I went and got in line. I met a really nice couple who had just been to Farm Aid. They shared some great stories and there were a couple of 20 something guys in front of me and they told me that they had a few friends coming and did I mind if they got in line with them. I told them absolutely not, I did not mind at all. It was their FIRST EVER Jack show. I always get the virgins. As Helen indicated, it was cold burrrrrrr and on top of the cold it began to rain. One of the guys, Hayden offered to go to his car for me to get me an umbrella :wub:. So thoughtful. And every so often, Helen would peek out and give me a wave.

Hayden's friends showed up at about the same time that a friend of mine (who lives in Columbia) showed up just to say hello and bring us coffee and latte's to take the chill off. My friend stuck around until the doors opened and then he headed home. He's more of a jazz guy. Not a big Jack fan at all, but it was great to see him again and he won everyone over with the coffee. As the line started moving into the venue I told our little group (that had somehow grew into about 10 of us)  that if I didn't see them inside to have a great show. Just for future reference in the event that Jack does go back to that venue......The Township has four front doors that open all at once. It would be advantageous to all if people actually formed four separate lines in front of the doors instead of one long line that wrapped around the building :huh:. What? In addition to that, if you are a Floor ticket holder, you will need to go to a table to get your wrist band before you are allowed on the floor. I got held up at the table and when I got inside the floor was pretty thick. But, guess who was looking for me as I walked in and was waving me toward them? Yep, my 20 something's and my married couple :wub:. And they put me right up front, center stage behind the early entry folks :D!!!

Olivia did a really nice job and I think I just may have to purchase her lp. Her band is SOLID SOLID SOLID!!! If ya'all get a chance, go see her at 3rdMan. You won't be disappointed.

Jack's set was solid and yes he did go to encore after about 40 minutes, but it was hot hot hot and I do believe that the heat wore on the audience as well. And in addition to that, there were a lot of people that I caught just staring all wide eyed. They were just soaking it all in and really did not know what to do unless........it was a WS song. Any WS Jack played, the place went absolutely nuts. They rocked SASG and CLAB too. I think the encore were all WS songs. It was a good ending to the tour and I had such a great time with some fantastic new friends. Hayden caught a drum stick yea!!!!!!! Can't wait to go back.

Oh and I had one cab driver the entire time. He took me everywhere. He handed me his card. His name is Robert Johnson. For real :wub:

Oh oh oh!!!! He did Apple Blossom :wub: :wub: :wub:

Damn, I keep adding to this.......The sound....really good.......really LOUD!

Edited by kts1997, 25 September 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#9 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Glad you had such a good time, and that the people in line with you were kind and hospitable.

The sets seem to be getting a little shorter these days (making me feel a little less bad about my 20-song set), but it's probably down a bit to the temperature and Jack's ankle.

#10 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

A pretty nicely written review:

http://www.free-time...ck-white-092514

And here's another review (where the reviewer apparently thought Jack played Sugar Never Tasted So Good):

http://www.dailygame...itorium-sept-24

Hmmm...Old Enough, huh?  Is that the first time he's played that song on this tour, and did he play it much during 2012?

Edited by J.C., 25 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#11 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the kind words and reviews JC.

Nicely written indeed :)

#12 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

There is an unidentified female on stage in a couple of the photos on the official site.  Anyone know what that is?  Sort of blurry so I couldn't tell.

#13 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

It looked like Olivia.

#14 Sea Frog

Sea Frog

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

It was Olivia, When they opened she was on the Organ for the first couple of songs.

#15 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Just Lazaretto, I'm pretty sure.

The picture accompanying J.C.'s second review isn't from this show, but this is.  ;)

140924_JWIII_Columbia_Show_0750-800x533.

#16 MajinTrunkz

MajinTrunkz

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

I'm the one who posted the set on setlist.fm, and I'm pretty sure it's not all in the right order, especially for the first set. I feel like "Just One Drink" might have come right after "Temporary Ground," because he started JOD on acoustic then switched over to electric somewhere in the middle of the song. I'm also not sure if "Misirlou" came after "Cannon" or if it was somewhere else.  Either way, all songs that were played are accounted for.

This was the third time that I've had tickets to see Jack, but the first time it actually worked out for me to be there. I had tickets to the White Stripes in Myrtle Beach in 2007 and for Jack's show in Asheville in 2012, but due to unfortunate circumstances I wasn't able to go to either one. So it was super exciting to finally see Jack White live, and it lived up to how hyped I was for the show.

Highlights for me were "Apple Blossom" and "Dead Leaves," two of my all-time favorite Stripes songs that I've always wanted to see him play.  And although I'm really not a fan of the Dead Weather, "I Cut Like a Buffalo" was fantastic, especially with the way Jack was directing the band while they jammed, motioning for them to slow down, speed up, or cut out at different points.  I was also really happy to hear "Blunderbuss."  Definitely was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and hopefully it won't be the last time I see Jack live.

#17 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

I think in retrospect that the strongest evidence of this being a great show for me was that he didn't do any of the blues-based numbers that I live for--Ball and Biscuit, Death Letter, Little Bird, etc.--and I STILL thought it was a fantastic show!  Still hoping for audio of ICLAB.

#18 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

It's all a blur now to me. It was just really surreal. Even the one gal who said it was her 1st time seeing him said that. She just couldn't believe it and they all waited sooooo long for this show to happen.

#19 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

You gotta ease up on the psychedelic drug use, guys. ;)

#20 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

Thank the heavens - FULL show audio! 

http://youtu.be/88or5HFn-EQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users