Photo

September 22, 2014 - MIAMI, FL (The Fillmore)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

I never in my life thought I would attend a Jack White show at which he performed sitting down. Yet more proof that you cannot ever have any kind of assumption or expectation where Jack is concerned.

#3 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

^^ Did him sitting down have anything to do with what was going on the first night with the multiple sets? 

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

We came to the conclusion that his ankle has not healed as well as it appeared at the first few shows on this leg of the tour.  Could also perhaps explain why he was less active at Fenway.  I wasn't at Atlanta or Jacksonville, so I don't know how much he was moving around at those shows, but it seemed like he wanted to be active and move around a lot the first night in Miami, but when he asked his guitar tech to bring him a stool the second night, that was my first thought.  Didn't slow the show down a jot, though, just made it very different. His body might not have been moving around, but that gyroscope brain was still spinning full blast.  He was like Goldilocks, had to have just the right kind of stool-- A short drum stool was too short for someone as tall as him, a taller drum stool didn't have the right foot support, he had to cross his legs, which he asked whether that was ok with us, what he really wanted a stool with rungs on it like stand-up comics use so you can put your feet at different heights on the rungs (that's exactly how he specified it), Abraham finally found one like that and Jack got comfy. But through all of this, his band introductions and then a story about sugar and artificial sweeteners that ended up being an intro to Sugar Never Tasted So Good had us laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.  

When TMR posted that photo of his ankle before the second show in San Fran, we talked about how we didn't care if he had to perform sitting down, we'd still be thrilled, but then he came out like gangbusters for all of the shows after that night.  So it was reeeeaeaaally interesting that he chose this night to actually sit down.  

He was back to the electric guitar and on his feet for the second set, but definitely not as active. Energy may have been lowered, but intensity wasn't.  Damned strange and wonderful show.

Edited by Kali Durga, 23 September 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#5 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for that! The pictures and your initial post had my brain spinning as to what could have been going on. It makes sense if it is the ankle...if it's a bad sprain, it can take up to a month or so to heal. 

The Goldilocks story is pretty funny. 

I love hearing about the shows that are somewhat different. Sounds like this was a memorable one.

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

It was very memorable, and I hope my memory lives up to it.  Between the conversational aspect and the five-song seated acoustic "set" (Entitlement through Blunderbuss), it was quite distinct from every other show I've been to.  

#7 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Do you remember what he was singing when he was walking the the mic in hand going over to Dominic and everyone?

#8 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

That was the band intros which, if I remember correctly, led into Entitlement (sitting on the stool that was tall enough but that didn't have rungs).  Is there video of any of this?  I haven't had a chance to look for anything.

#9 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Haven't seen any videos of him sitting yet. But this video popped up. Part of Ball and Biscuit with the snippet of You Can't Get This Stuff No More

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

In looking at the Tour Photos from last night just now, I remembered the other thing he talked at length about while waiting for Abraham to find a stool was his tube amps, telling us all about how they would be used for school announcements by the principal and that he bought all three for $150 and then checked on eBay to make sure that was a good deal because that's what you do these days and that the other thing they're really good for is guitar amps.

Oh, and he apparently mowed Fats' lawn in the 80s.

Edited by Kali Durga, 23 September 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#11 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that those tube amps he has were used for school announcements...

Oh, and he apparently mowed Fats' lawn in the 80s.

Wait. What? haha

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Wait. What? haha

That pretty much sums up this show. 

#13 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

It's such a hilarious contrast on stage between frenetic Jack and stoic Fats.

#14 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

I keep thinking about Abraham running all over trying to find the perfect seat. Talk about pressure! haha.

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

^^ Especially since he was dealing with guitar issues at the same time!

It's such a hilarious contrast on stage between frenetic Jack and stoic Fats.

I know, I love watching that almost as much as watching him with Daru.

#16 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

I guess you need a "steady hand" in the back to keep things in order...can't have Fats spazzing out as well.

Ikey's been pretty nuts as of late, as well.  The Lazaretto single wouldn't be that palatable to the Farm Aid crowd in the best of times, but he sure went crazy with the synth during that performance, further alienating them, I imagine. :lol:

#17 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

This is what I find so awesome:

Everytime you see Jack, it's not just a good old time.  

Every show is different.  Reading experiences from those of you who have hit numerous shows on each leg of this tour is so awesome.  

I find myself so incredibly happy reading all of these experiences because I know the kind of time and money it takes to do this, and things constantly change when seeing Jack.

My favorite band is a group from Scotland called Travis.  Some of the most amazing people I've ever met, and last year I was able to check seeing them in Scotland off my bucket list.  3 nights in a row.  Edinburgh, Inverness, Aberdeen (in the winter!).  It was wonderful and I've met lots of people because of them over the years and it was such a great 3 night celebration.

But each night, the set was exactly the same.  No changes, no variations.  Just absolutely excellent music performed with lots of love and passion.  Years ago they said that they tend to do that because they want their show to be like a play; orchestrated so that every night goes as good as the last and everyone knows their part perfectly.  This works for many people and i don't look down on anyone for that.

But seeing Jack, you are IN the show.  Like being right in the middle of a tornado swirling round and round and not knowing what's going to happen.  The excitement that comes along with that is always breathtaking.

Sorry for the slight OT, but the point if my post is THANKS Tam and others who keep sharing their show stories.  I have to live vicariously as all of life's obligations are keeping me away from getting to as many shows ad I'd like.

The sit down set sounds absolutely awesome.  I've always wanted to see Jack do a solo acoustic show.  Just his voice and guitar.  I think that'd be grand.

I'm also interested in hearing how Olivia is coming along with her set?

#18 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

Yeah, it's fun to read the variety of experiences people have at these shows.  Any time I mention to an outsider (who's only vaguely familiar with Jack) that he doesn't use a pre-established setlist, they're like, "Really?  Wow."

Yeah, as people who follow his tour closely, we know to usually expect 7NA at the end (for the casuals), and typically Hotel Yorba and Temporary Ground (and sometimes You Know That I Know) go together, but beyond that, the patterns and order of songs shift regularly.  And you can never be sure what he's going to throw in the middle of a medley, or what cover(s) he's going to do.  And that's exciting.

I'd like to go to more shows on this tour, but unless he makes it somewhere near my neck of the woods (closer than LA), it's unlikely.  So, at the very least, I hope to accumulate more audio, and especially video, from the remainder of the tour.  And, of course, experience the shows from the comments of others.

#19 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Well if you ever get down to LA for a show sometime, JC, I'd be happy to give you a tour!

#20 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Thank you.  I will keep that in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users