Photo

September 20, 2014 - JACKSONVILLE, FL (Moran Theater)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

No Hotel Yorba or 7NA.

Lafayette Blues, John the Revelator, WHOLE LOTTA LOVE (one verse anyway), I've been Loving You Too Long (ditto), several verses of Outlaw Blues, many improvs, much hilarious banter, some,er, intriguing miming, I'm really too incoherent to say much more about this show right now, it was amazing. The first 45 minutes were absolutely frantic, poor Dominic looked like he was about to drop (but continued on, doing great,of course). We were all dripping wet and exhausted by the end of the night.

#3 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

Sounds incredible!!! Intriguing miming? 

#4 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

Oh man. Lafayette Blues AND no Seven Nation Army and Hotel Yorba?! I hope a recording surfaces soon!

#5 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

So do I, because I'm too frazzled to come up with a proper setlist right now, and I know there was a lot more interesting stuff! I hope video appears, too, because I'm not sure I could describe the miming. Or the effect of him singing the first verse of I Cut Like a Buffalo with just the handheld mic, while prowling the stage and striking poses. :D

#6 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

So do I, because I'm too frazzled to come up with a proper setlist right now, and I know there was a lot more interesting stuff! I hope video appears, too, because I'm not sure I could describe the miming. Or the effect of him singing the first verse of I Cut Like a Buffalo with just the handheld mic, while prowling the stage and striking poses. :D

Woot woot!  I hope Swanson got some god pics of that!  

Sounds like an awesome night!

#7 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:27 AM

Two clips of Cut Like a Buffalo:

http://websta.me/p/8...34749_306094975

All I can say is dayum.  :wub:

#8 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

All I can say is dayum.  :wub:

Wow. You can say that again!

#9 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

Looks naked and weird without his guitar.  

In a good way though.  So strange to see him without some form of instrument!

#10 mister saint laurent

mister saint laurent

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

Wonder how long it will take until Setlist.fm has an accurate setlist.

Took my girlfriend to the show. She enjoyed it, but didn't know a lot of the songs. I knew all the songs, but for some of them would have preferred renditions a little closer to the studio recordings.

Had seen Raconteurs twice and Dead Weather once, but never got to see the White Stripes and had never seen a Jack solo show. So I was seeing most of the songs live for the first time.

Long show. I did start to get tired towards the end. Was a long day and a long drive.

Overall was a great show. Loved the venue too.

Didn't check out any of the merch. Line was too long.

#11 DeStijlTheLife

DeStijlTheLife

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Setlist included High Ball Stepper, Ball and Biscuit, Lafayette Blues, Temporary Ground, Astro, Cannon and John the Revelator, I Cut Like a Buffalo, Steady As She Goes, Entitlement, Lazaretto, Just One Drink, Sixteen Saltines, Missing Pieces, Freedom at 21, one verse of Whole Lotta Love, Love Interruption, I've Been Loving You Too Long, Same Boy You've Always Known, Would You Fight For My Love, Icky Thump, ended on Slowly Turning Into You

In no way is that in order or complete.  Also the first song was either FILWAG or Dead Leaves (I think FILWAG?) and for some reason I cannot remember which 

I didn't go to the merch table either

Oh also the improvising was some lyrics about a room that had a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of a cow jumping over the moon, or is that something else I just don't recognize?

Edited by DeStijlTheLife, 21 September 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#12 Robinski

Robinski

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Those lyrics/words are from a children's book called "Good Night Moon".

Edited by Robinski, 21 September 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#13 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Opened with FILWAG, but did Dead Leaves too. Yes, he mentioned Goodnight Moon in one of his "commentaries" (I think the one in which he paused to explain that the next verse was only lyrics from a song that he'd written and in no way to be construed as a rant :D ), though he didn't actually sing the GM words till later--he did also make up new words to lots of songs, though, and not always because he'd forgotten them, I don't think!

I'm still getting over this show.

Edited by Aquamarine, 21 September 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#14 DeStijlTheLife

DeStijlTheLife

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yeah he sang them twice though, once early on during High Ball Stepper which was the second song I think.  That time he sang them into that other mic which distorts his voice, so it was hard to decipher at first.  Anyway, thanks :)

#15 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Weirder than leaving off 7NA and Hotel Yorba is that the encore was a pretty traditional one (two songs), if that setlist is mostly accurate.

#16 DeStijlTheLife

DeStijlTheLife

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

No it wasn't two songs, it was a typical type of encore for Jack, 5-6 songs at least. I'll never understand setlist.fm, I've never seen a remotely accurate setlist on there for shows I've been to

#17 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

The first "part" was 1 1/2 hours and the second about a half-hour , if I'm not mistaken? I also got the impression he had to end it then, maybe a venue thing.

#18 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Oh, OK, regarding the setlist.

I think the only time we truly nail the setlist is when someone at the show writes the songs down as they go, or if we're listening to a live stream/radio broadcast.  It's pretty tough for people to totally memorize Jack's shows, given how he does so many snippets of covers, and medleys.

#19 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

I forgot to mention he also didn't do any piano songs.

#20 DeStijlTheLife

DeStijlTheLife

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Oh, OK, regarding the setlist.

I think the only time we truly nail the setlist is when someone at the show writes the songs down as they go, or if we're listening to a live stream/radio broadcast.  It's pretty tough for people to totally memorize Jack's shows, given how he does so many snippets of covers, and medleys.

I agree completely, when there's no recording it's more a collaboration for attendees to remember and piece it together.  

Setlist.fm is a wiki and all I mean is I just don't get why someone would decide to go in and put in a setlist on setlist.fm when don't remember half the songs that were played

---

A few little clips on instagram of ball and biscuit 

Edited by DeStijlTheLife, 21 September 2014 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users