Photo

September 15, 2014 - CLEVELAND, OH (Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 sstates

sstates

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hoping the weather stays decent!

#3 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Only Cleveland article I've happened upon yet:

http://www.cleveland...and_his_ge.html

#4 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Have a great show!!!

#5 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

From my ticket surrogate!!!!

3261e998e9c031e02f62aa9d89b39b52_zps9fc8

And this is coming back to me

f7ebe04df577b15d6b4879e882595ee2_zpse0ae
Very grateful to have found a great fan to sell tix to!

#6 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

acd50a0dbb47bdfe974de34391f86ad6_zps6351

#7 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

b7fe0ee6724e5b8b989d80eed67143ec_zpsfe37

cf4ad416d0a4625b48f3faa42d172996_zpseb8b

#8 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

Apparently Jack was very talkative - do anyone record this?

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

I hope it was recorded. He riffed about how if he talks for too long that the media will label it a "rant" (think he talked about this at another recent show, too?) but that, really, he's just talking to his friends. He used both Neil Young and Kanye as examples, saying that we should listen to what people like them (Neil and Kanye) are saying because it can be important, but it's not a rant, it's them talking to their friends.  Then he went of on a tangent about "authenticity" (love it when he does the air quotes), about how, if he wants to, he can go over to Lillie Mae and talk to her because at his shows he can do whatever he wants and not have to worry about making it match a fancy light show, something about (I've forgotten how it led to this) "I myself have even been inside a Wal-Mart" and "Daru Jones has even sent me e-mail".  I usually think of Jack's verbal riffing as monologues rather than "rants", but I like his idea that he's actually just talking to his friends.  

Crazy show last night. I knew right off the bat that the crowd was going to be a problem because they were pushing up before the show even began. Sure enough, soon as Jack hit the stage assholes started shoving up between the two women behind me and pushing everyone around. The young kid behind me who was seeing Jack for the first time disappeared entirely.  I was able to keep my space, but my friend Sharon felt like she was back at Vancouver all over again.   At one point during the second set, I motioned security over about  a woman who'd squeezed up from the back and was shoving everyone around (she didn't get pulled out, only told to "settle down") and when I looked back up at the stage, Jack was staring right at me.  He kept eye contact for several seconds and I just stared right back.  Couldn't tell what the hell he was thinking because it was one of the most serious expressions he had on his face all night, he was full of smiles last night, grinning like a little kid over and over again (and combing back what's left of his hair over and over again).  So despite the crowd and aside from not being able to hear anything from Fats for most of the night, it was a really terrific show.  More of a blur than usual, but it looked like Jack and the band was having a great time and their enthusiasm were infectious, so I had a great time, too.  Might not ever go back to a show in Cleveland again, but otherwise a great time.

#10 MaggieMay

MaggieMay

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

So great to meet some of you there! Jack seemed very pleased during the show. He was definitely having a good time. The a holes behind us were just rude. I felt like we had to worry a lot about keeping our spots than enjoying the show. I sang to Jack songs the whole 5 hour drive home and got to work at 830a. Totally worth it!!!

Edited by MaggieMay, 16 September 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#11 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

I want to hear how Fran enjoyed herself!  :)

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

So great to meet some of you there! Jack seemed very pleased during the show. He was definitely having a good time. The a holes behind us were just rude. I felt like we had to worry a lot about keeping our spots than enjoying the show. I sang to Jack songs the whole 5 hour drive home and got to work at 830a. Totally worth it!!!

The two girls behind you ended up being very cool, but it seemed like everyone past the 2nd row was totally obnoxious. I felt very bad for the kid behind me who was seeing Jack for the first time and was so excited to up so close. He disappeared completely a handful of songs in.

Great to meet you, too, always good to put a face to the avatar!

#13 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Shame about the crowd, guys.  I didn't hear Fats that much at our show either, Kali.  Might be the tradeoff to being up front (more muffled sound with less instrumental separation).

I feel bad for that kid.  At TWS show in 2007, another group of small teenagers were waiting ahead of me in line, but only lasted five minutes up front once the concert began (they got pulled out by security).  I wish those assholes would stick to metal/hardcore shows where they can headbang, mosh, shove, and crowdsurf to their heart's delight.

I'll have to check setlist.fm because I don't see the widget here.

#14 Sizz

Sizz

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

We should try to get this setlist right on setlist.fm. I remember he played Ramblin' Man by Hank Williams not sure when in the set though.

#15 Sizz

Sizz

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

I wonder what you guys consider inappropriate behavior at a concert. The whole point of going to a show is to dance, sing, and enjoy yourself. The goal isn't to make sure you stand in the same exact spot the whole time and just nod your head up and down. When someone like Jack is performing and giving you everything he's got, you should do the same. If you leave the show not drenched in sweat and exhausted you didn't do it right.

#16 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Dancing and jumping up and down is all good, but when you start physically assaulting other people (aggressively shoving, for instance), it's crossing the line, IMO.  We all want an enthusiastic crowd; a boorish one is another thing altogether.

#17 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

At the show I attended in Vancouver, there were a ridiculous number of crowd surfers, and 95% of them were full-blown drunk (I looked into their eyes when they came over the rail at the front).  That's not engaging with the performers; that's getting hammered in public and basically ignoring the performance.

But I don't drink, so I may have a harsher view of the alcoholic culture we live in than some folks.

#18 Sizz

Sizz

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

I'm with you. I don't think anyone should shove other people. I've always thought crowd surfing was lame as well. I just know in my experiences people have gotten mad at me for literally dancing in my small space just because they wanted to stay motionless, and I let them know that if you want to do that the first 10 rows aren't the place for that.

#19 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Oh, that's perfectly reasonable.  It gets tough when you're crammed in there up front (particularly at the rail), and the only real way to move your arms (to gesture or dance) is above your head.  You've just got to find a balance between dancing and, you know, elbowing people in the head. :lol:

We don't take issue with folks like you, my friend, but with the "bros" who are just looking to make trouble, and don't really care who's on the stage.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Never mind.

Edited by Kali Durga, 16 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users