Photo

August 28, 2014 - VANCOUVER, BC (Deer Lake Park)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Have a helluva time, J.C.

#3 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Not queuing but hoping to get close. Seems like a mighty laid back venue. Not sure how people can watch Jack from a picnic blanket, but more power to them! We'll bring our A game up front.

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

I hope you've got a better crowd than Troutdale. My friend who was there said Jack was working his ass off to get a reaction from people. 

Edited by Kali Durga, 28 August 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#5 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

I was wondering about Troutdale, haven't heard much about it other than a review or two.

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sharon was there, and I think she's at Vancouver tonight. It'll be interesting to find out from her how the two compare.

#7 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

Another amazing show. Short set because of park curfew, and Jack is really struggling on that sprained ankle. But he killed it, obviously. Failure isn't an option. :)

We arrived at th end of Curtis Harding's set, but walked up and got rail to the far left. Thank god for that because the crowd was a bit of a drunken rowdy mess. But it didn't get to us.

Jack looked good for,the first set, then came back after the break, shoeless with his ankle taped up. He stepped up onto his speaker and then steppd off onto the bad ankle. You could see it on his face the rest of the show, he's really hurt. Stopped the show at 9:45 so I think even before 10pm curfew. Poor baby.

#8 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Poor guy.  The pics are already up on his site--many of them terrific, but several of them do focus on his foot and the wrapping on it.  (He also seems now to have a sleeve on his right arm, as opposed to, or in addition to, the wrappings we'd noticed earlier on his upper arms--don't know if that's health-related or not.)  Glad you got a great show, though not surprised!  :)

#9 chase53

chase53

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:50 AM

Well, that was so so so good. Poor ankle, it shows what kind of performer he is. Alot of guys would mellow their show right down, Not jack .The crowd was pretty rough.lots of crowd surfers kicking people in the head, but jack was gold. Im heading to x fest in calgary to see him on saturday. goodnight!

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

Jack looked good for,the first set, then came back after the break, shoeless with his ankle taped up. He stepped up onto his speaker and then steppd off onto the bad ankle. You could see it on his face the rest of the show, he's really hurt. Stopped the show at 9:45 so I think even before 10pm curfew. Poor baby.

This and the photos at his site make me just cringe for what he must be feeling. I hope that when he gets home, someone ties him down and forces him to let that thing heal.  It's amazing and humbling to see him pushing like that and giving people the sort of shows they came for, because I know there's no way in hell I could do anything like that with that sort of injury.  That said, I'm also glad you all had such a great time and I hope J.C. also enjoyed it as much as y'all  :)

Helen, he was wearing a pair of those long sleeves like that the second night in San Fran.  I would guess it's a baseball thing.

#11 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

Yeah that sucks to hear about his ankle.

About the sleeve on his arm, it looks to be a compression sleeve.

Edited because I just now realized autocorrect changed sucks to something weird.

Edited by matthewvh, 29 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, it's definitely a compression sleeve. He was wearing short ones with his t-shirt the second night in San Fran, and long ones the first night in Seattle.  And, apparently, only one long one last night.  I kind of figured that if they gave him one for his ankle, he snagged a few of the arm ones, too, just for the heck of it. All that time on ball fields lately, he's gotta bring some element of it on stage, after all.

Edited by Kali Durga, 29 August 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#13 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

:( 

Just saw the photos.  The foot still looks pretty swollen.  His tunes are so fierce, I don't think anyone would be mad if he weren't jumping around like a mad man, but it's all a part of who he is on stage, I suppose.

When he gets home someone needs to give him a good talkin' to, make sure that thing is elevated and iced as much as possible.  I can't believe he's played 5 shows like this and has 2 more to go.  

I can't wait to hear JC's thoughts on the show.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

...the crowd was a bit of a drunken rowdy mess. But it didn't get to us.

Just talked to my buddy Sharon and it sounds like she took a ferocious beating on the rail.  She mentioned talking to another woman who also had early entry who said that this crowd was more brutal than metal shows she's been to. That woman apparently had to be pulled out before the show was through.  I think I'm glad I wasn't there.

#15 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

We were very happy to be *far* to the side, the whole center was a mess. Security was running like mad all night. We had a perfect view, and the only shoving around we got was from people getting out of the crowd.

Poor Jack just literally doesn't know how to tone it down, he cannot stand still. I hope he gets a good rest after the next couple of shows. Bless.

#16 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

Oy. I may end up at J.C.-level freaking out about the shows I've got lined up in September.  Jack talked in early interviews about his fantasies of being confined, I seriously hope someone ties him down with that leg elevated, locks the door, and only opens it to massage his ankle with arnica and put fresh ice on it.  Heal the ankle and fulfill his fantasy. Two birds, one locked door.  They'll have two weeks to accomplish it when he gets home from Edmonton.

Edited by Kali Durga, 29 August 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#17 RyanSchaap

RyanSchaap

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

I was in line at 1pm to get in. I was right in front of Jack in front of two girls that were in front of us in line and I said I would do my best to make sure they didn't get crushed all night.

The crowd wasn't necessarily rowdy, I noticed a feeble attempt to start a mosh pit up that fizzled up pretty quickly, but everyone was pushing, it was rough for sure. I didn't feel unsafe, but everyone was jammed in super tight and someone shifted weight, everyone seemed to. I spent most of the night with all my weight shifted behind me to prevent people from crushing me and those girls on the rail.  But as we know, thats the price you pay to stand front row centre.  Usually, I'm a side of the stage front row kinda guy because it's much more tame over there.  

One girl I met in line brought a Kay hollow body guitar into the show (yes, they let her in) and was right near me, she got crushed and left early in the encore with the Kay in tow, which thankfully, was still in one piece.  

Jack was in exceptional pain all night, wincing and missing lyrics because of the pain.  It wasn't the best performance of his I've seen, but the fact he was playing on one foot made it that much more memorable.  

I had a great time bouncing people budging in line, only had to deal with two dicks but when I didn't back down, they ventured to the back.    All in all, it was a great but exhausting day.  my body is mighty sore from being up front, but hey, it's a rock and roll show.

iVRGrPo.jpg

From the official photos, I'm up front holding up the cushion. I brought it to sit on outside and borrow'd a kid's sharpie to write "Play Lafayette Blues, Please" on it. So I held it up between songs...it was thrown on stage during the break before the encore by a buddy of mine, but sadly, they didn't play it!

Edited by RyanSchaap, 29 August 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#18 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Sugar Never Tasted So Good was such a treat.

As were those striped pants.

#19 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

iVRGrPo.jpg

From the official photos, I'm up front holding up the cushion. I brought it to sit on outside and borrow'd a kid's sharpie to write "Play Lafayette Blues, Please" on it. So I held it up between songs...it was thrown on stage during the break before the encore by a buddy of mine, but sadly, they didn't play it!

He didn't play my song request from the first night in San Fran, either, though I'm hoping it might pop up at a later date if he feels so inclined. That photo makes the venue look like a pretty setting for a show, despite the craziness of the crowd.  Great clouds in that sky.  And I see my buddies on the rail just to your left.

Edited by Kali Durga, 29 August 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#20 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

The crowd was brutal where I was. About 20 ft from stage. Pushing, flying elbows, attempted moshing, crowd surfers kicking people in the head. I think the outdoor venue enticed the crowd into a more festival type vibe. It seemed like there were way too many people there with little interest in the actual show and were more interested in getting drunk and rowdy. I ended up punching one guy in the back of the head after he knocked over two people as he tried pushing towards the stage. Much to the approval of people surrounding me. It was nothing like any of the other crowds at a Jack or White Stripes show that I've been to. The show didn't even come close to the one I saw in Seattle on the Blunderbuss tour.

After 35 minutes, me and the 4 people I was with finally had enough and we moved further back and off to the side. The crowd there was much better and genuinely into enjoying the music. Plus, the sound was a lot better.

Jack was definitely struggling tonight. His voice was very rough by the end and he limped off stage after the show. He also gave a few looks of disgust at the crowd surfers. Nevertheless, he gave it everything he had and if showed. Good luck to him in Calgary and Edmonton.

The set list was pretty standard and short. Just 1 hour and 45 minutes (including a 5 minute encore break).

Overall, a decent show even with the crappy time I had in the crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users