Photo

August 27, 2014 - TROUTDALE, OR (Edgefield)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

After San Fran and Seattle, I'm so very sad to not be going to this show, especially since one of my show pals is there.  For any LRers who are going, I hope Jack blows y'all away!

#3 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

This is a rather curious article:

http://www.wweek.com...ar_rosebud.html

#4 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

I think that it was a slow week for journalists.

Hey Troutdale...have a great show!!!

#5 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yes, have a great show, and sing along as much as possible, so Jack's voice isn't blown out tomorrow in Vancouver! ;)

Adios, Little Room.  See you on Friday.

#6 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Have a great time tonight everyone!  :D

#7 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Did anyone from the LR go to this show? And here's the setlist, since the setlist wasn't up when Colin made this thread.

Edited by matthewvh, 28 August 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#8 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

jack juggles with setlist

#9 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Here's a review: 

http://www.oregonliv..._edgefield.html

#10 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

jack juggles with setlist

exactly!

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Gotta say, I love it when he includes Entitlement in a set.  It really sounds beautiful because he keeps it stripped down and quiet, and the crowd response has been terrific every time I've heard it. 

#12 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

I agree with you Kali, I love when he plays Entitlement. It's such a quiet moment and he keeps it so simple and beautiful. 

#13 Melly

Melly

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Here's a review: 

http://www.oregonliv..._edgefield.html

Ok, I love this part:

It seemed as if he might just solo through most of the show, which would've been just fine. For most guitarists, even the best ones, the instrument is a race track: "Let me show you how quickly I can drive around it," their performances say. Meanwhile, White's busy strapping into a fighter jet.

#14 vrhine

vrhine

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

This was my first show in Troutdale (Portland) and it was quite the experience. I moved from Oklahoma and the majority of my JW shows were at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. The 2 cannot compare. One is intimate, the other is extemely crowded. One has the more polite crowd, the other can be rowdy (not in a good way), one has very comfortable people in lawn chairs...

My preference for Cain's aside, the show itself was quite good. Jack was in a playful mood, often addressing the crowd, joking with Lillie Mae, sharing his thoughts, etc. Much more interactive than I'm used to seeing. He was occasionally frustrated with the audience but this really was the exception and just a few people that were not into the show or so wasted they were ruining the show for others. The setlist posted seems accurate enough. Don't think any songs are missing, but maybe the order of things is off. He'd often circle back and play something he played 2, 3 songs ago. His performance was very energetic and fun. Everyone around me had a fantastic time! Despite the heat, crowd, and long wait for every single thing at the venue, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

I never post in here but felt compelled to say something after reading lackluster reviews. Maybe I see Jack through rose-colored glasses and my spot was on the rail which is no doubt filled with enthusiastic fans, but the show at Troutdale was top notch. From my point-of-view, the crowd loved Jack and he (I hope) loved us back. I have many complaints about the day but none about the show itself.

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Do you remember any of the banter?

#16 vrhine

vrhine

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Oh yes! Lots of f-bombs which was interesting! He had the crowd in hysterics. He stopped the show to address someone who wasn't clapping, and the person apparently refused to, even faced with Jack himself. He went back to the mic and called the person a barista and if they weren't going to clap, at least bring him some f*cking coffee. He also went on a "not rant" about every time he speaks on stage for more than 12 seconds it's labeled a rant. He also stopped to give his thoughts on pop culture and what he learned from reading 3 minutes of the internet.

#17 vrhine

vrhine

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

He also said he's been pestering Lillie Mae about putting out her own album. He asked the audience what we thought and of course that got a huge response (and a big smile from Lillie). I wouldn't be surprised if that album is on the horizon!

#18 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Oh wow, I just realized you guys got Mystery Train!!  :o  :wub:

#19 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

I'd like to hear Jack's version of that.  I have to admit that I like the Dirtbombs version better than Elvis', so it'd be interesting to compare with Jack's.

#20 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

I'd like to hear Jack's version of that.  I have to admit that I like the Dirtbombs version better than Elvis', so it'd be interesting to compare with Jack's.

Raconteurs did that..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users