Photo

August 25, 2014 - SEATTLE, WA (Paramount Theater)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

The setlist.fm widget for this show is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

#2 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

Where are the reviews? :(

#3 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Whoa, either that set list isn't complete yet or something weird happened last night.

#4 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think the show was 2 1/2 hours.

#5 twisted-denial

twisted-denial

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

I am really anxious to see the whole setlist!

#6 shoebobs

shoebobs

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Show was great! I'm the worst at remembering songs and what order, so here's what I remember that is missing:

Broken Boy Soldier (!)

Missing PIeces

Hypocritical Kiss

Apple Blossom

You Don't Know What Love Is

WYFFML

Three Women

Lazaretto

Temporary Ground

Just One Drink

Alone in my Home

Entitlement

Blunderbuss

Hello Operator

Sugar Never Tasted So Good

Astro

Cannon

So he played bits of Cannon like 4 times throughout the set (if I'm not mistaken).  It was interesting...he kept going back to it, which was awesome.  

#7 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Here's a rather small review from Seattle Weekly: http://www.seattlewe...hed-in-blue-put

While Jack White still has the draw of a rock star it's becoming very clear that he's happy to buck that style for another, then another, and another. He steadfastly stradles the line between rock, jam band, twangy country, and bluegrass (he gave a tip of the hat to Loretta Lynn who once called northern Washington home). It felt disorienting watching his performance last night at the Paramount Theater as he hopped from one genre to the next, but in an almost delightful way... then again it could have just as easily felt dizzying to the point of nausea, it really all depends on what you're expecting from White's live show.

If you feel like you can roll with the punches then it's worth following him down the rabbit hole, but if you're looking for a remix of White Stripes hits... you're in for a rude awakening. Not that he didn't perform some of his oldies last night for those fans looking to get a fix, but that was far from the only thing he performed with what can only be described as packed-to-the-gills band backing him. Not that it felt over the top or looked crowded on stage, just that he had a musician for every stop on his whirlwind tour of musical delights. Though, if you made as much as he does touring these great United States (and beyond), and could afford to have a plethora of musicians to bring along, you probably would too. If you're headed to the second show tonight, be ready for a heady experience and blue light... lots and lots and lots of blue light. Make sure you check out our blue-tinged slideshow from White's first night performance.

#8 candy*andylusian

candy*andylusian

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Show was great! I'm the worst at remembering songs and what order, so here's what I remember that is missing:

Broken Boy Soldier (!)

Missing PIeces

Hypocritical Kiss

Apple Blossom

You Don't Know What Love Is

WYFFML

Three Women

Lazaretto

Temporary Ground

Just One Drink

Alone in my Home

Entitlement

Blunderbuss

Hello Operator

Sugar Never Tasted So Good

Astro

Cannon

So he played bits of Cannon like 4 times throughout the set (if I'm not mistaken).  It was interesting...he kept going back to it, which was awesome.  

"Broken Boy Soldier!" You lucky dog! I love the Paramount. My friend is seeing tonight's show. Can't wait to listen along live! 

#9 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

So amazing!

Add Ball & Biscuit and Top Yourself to that list. Probably the most amazing Top Yourself I've ever heard. And Screwdriver which he played on the acoustic and it was ridiculous.

Can't wait for tonite!

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'm only barely conscious at the moment so don't expect full, coherent sentences, but here are some of the notes I jotted down after the show last night--

- Acoustic Screwdriver!!!

- Slow-burn Cut Like a Buffalo. Seriously one of the best performances of Buffalo I've heard yet.

- Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink Top Yourself.  It was electric, it was acoustic, it was electric again, it was the old version, it was slowed down, it was the new version, it just went on and on and on and wow.

- Cannon after everything. We counted five segues into Cannon

- Someone needs to figure out the song he did that ended with "She doesn't need to be forgiven".  He had Dominic, Fats, and Lillie Mae gather behind him as he sang this incredibly beautiful song that I can only barely remember any of the words of.  It began about a man who didn't need to be forgiven, then the story changed to a woman. Daru and Ikey sat still through most of it, but towards the end Daru picked up a tambourine and Ikey began very subdued keys and they were all so perfectly in synch and Jack just stood staring at the front of the stage while singing and it was so gorgeous that I started to cry, and when it was done he picked up the Fender and jumped into the last Cannon and it was a weird sensation to be standing there wiping tears from my eyes during fricking Cannon.

- He told a story towards the end about calling Henry earlier that day and asking "Where do you think your dad is today?"  and Henry, with his two front teeth missing, answering "Kanthath Thity?"  When Jack told him, no, he was in Seattle, Henry apparently asked if that was the baseball team with the cross on their uniform.  There was another lengthy ramble that touched on a few subjects including how annoying it is to wait in hospital waiting rooms, how the most beautiful nurses were from the 1940s, how he doesn't like lawyers to wear khakis from the Gap, how "Don't the MTV Music Awards feel like something sleazy?", and that Jack really likes music.  At least those are the things we think he was talking about, the sound was horribly muddy and you could only make out about half of what he was saying,

- When he sat down at the piano before Three Women, he asked how the crowd was doing and egged us on to keep cheering louder and louder by turning around on the seat, crossing his legs, and leaning his arm on the piano with that smirky smile on his face, just waiting it out to see how loud we could get. I always have trouble keeping up the yelling when he does that because watching how much he seems to enjoy it makes me laugh instead.

- There were moments near the beginning of the show when it seemed apparent that he was pushing through pain due to his ankle.  It also seemed several times that he would start to hop up and down and then catch himself.  Then something kicked in (Pleasure over the crowd response? Vicodin? Champagne?  All of the above?) and there were less grimaces and more smiles.  I heard before the show that he mentioned in Vault chat that his ankle was "not good".  I hope he's icing the hell out of it a few times a day.

Seriously damned good show.  Cannot wait to see what's in store tonight, with it being broadcast and all.

And Broken Boy Soldier!!  After the Blunderbuss tour, I decided that's just about my favorite of Jack's songs live, gets me so amped up.  I was so grateful and happy to hear it last night.

Edited by Kali Durga, 26 August 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#11 crakd

crakd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Oh and Fell in Love with a Girl!

#12 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Acoustic Screwdriver? daaammmnnn

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

There really, really needs to be a recording of this show. Between things like the acoustic Screwdriver, that gorgeous song we couldn't identify, and the weird ramble, it needs to be heard.  

#14 shoebobs

shoebobs

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Kali is so much better at remembering shows than me.  How could I forget Acoustic Screwdriver?  I seriously need a recording of this show.

So I've been to 4 shows now and I start recognizing people...which one of you was wearing the shirt with a Monkey holding a record on the back?  Pretty sure I remember seeing you and your friends in Detroit as I'm always just a few rows back (never able to get rail like you guys...that's commitment).

And yes, that acoustic "She Doesn't need to be forgiven" song...that was amazing.  I tried googling what I remembered from the lyrics but couldn't figure it out.  It was amazing.  I think he started the song with something like "In the valley there is a woman...".  I also remember "Prison" being a keyword rhyming with "Forgiven"

Looking forward to tonight's show.

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hahaha, that's my shirt-- http://kalidurga.blo...ite-junkie.html  And the only way I remember anything from shows is by bringing a small notebook and pen and whipping it out to scribble notes immediately as soon as the band leaves the stage, while yelling (because I'm deaf from the show) at everyone I'm with "What do we need to remember from this show???? TELL ME WHAT WE NEED TO REMEMBER!!!!"

Yes, that was the first line of the song, thank you for remembering that!

I'm going to wear an I <3 Detroit shirt tonight.  If you see me in line or in the crowd, be sure to say hi.

#16 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, when I looked at that short setlist, I was like, "Oh, shit".  Another 2 1/2 hour show, on that ankle...wow.  He's gonna be crawling around when he gets to Vancouver.

#17 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

sounds terrific!  wow!  and sugar never tasted so good!  acoustic screwdriver! i'm jealous but glad your wait was rewarded.  

#18 shoebobs

shoebobs

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hahaha, that's my shirt-- http://kalidurga.blo...ite-junkie.html  And the only way I remember anything from shows is by bringing a small notebook and pen and whipping it out to scribble notes immediately as soon as the band leaves the stage, while yelling (because I'm deaf from the show) at everyone I'm with "What do we need to remember from this show???? TELL ME WHAT WE NEED TO REMEMBER!!!!"

Yes, that was the first line of the song, thank you for remembering that!

I'm going to wear an I <3 Detroit shirt tonight.  If you see me in line or in the crowd, be sure to say hi.

Ha that's great.  If I see you again I'll say hi.  I'm hoping to get done with work relatively early again, so hopefully I'll lineup early enough to just be a few rows back again.

In other words, I finally made it into one of the tour photos on the website :)

You guys don't know how happy that makes me feel

#19 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Agree that that was the most interesting Cut Like a Buffalo I ever heard, fabulous.

Don't know if anybody mentioned Goodnight Irene for the first time in a while.

#20 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

So, no 7NA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users