Photo

June 12, 2014 - POMONA, CA (The Fox Theater)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

i'm getting excited!!!  can't leave until hubby gets home from work.  no worries, though.   ^_^

#3 stripeydave

stripeydave

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

have fun Dearlene!

#4 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Dave! Dining across from the Fox in a real dive of a place. Hungry and thirsty lol.

#5 Whazup

Whazup

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

Awesome show!! Black Blat Licorice was played!! And a kickass version of Hypocritical Kiss. The best version of Icky Thump I have ever heard and Jack was on fire the whole time :)

#6 stay gold

stay gold

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

A very intense jack tonight compared to how he was at the mayan. Early in the show he pulled lalo out and was pointing to someone in the crowd with an annoyed look on his face. Don't know what it was. Lalo was also flipped off during the pre show photography announcement...

He was not as playful but there was a lot of straight forward power in the songs. No temporary ground or alone in my home type of stuff. Ball and the biscuit had to be the highlight for me. I don't know how daru was still playing with jack on top of most of the drum set.

Some notables in the setlist:

that black bat licorice
Screwdriver in the middle dead leaves on the dirty ground opener
A great version of hypocritical kiss

#7 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

I caught Daru's drumstick! It fell into my outstretched hands like it was meant to be, like in a movie or something. I was so giddy I jumped up and down and immediately stuffed it down my leopard print blouse because I was paranoid someone was going to steal it (I dunno if that ever happens but I never caught anything before!). That made me very happy.

Daru is a beast on drums, the stick is all banged up! 

I was on the left side (crowd POV) of the stage, it was an exciting moment when Jack came over and sat down in front of us, the crowd pushed me even closer to the front then. He sat there like some kind of character, with a pseudo brooding pout. I loved it. 

I also was wondering who Jack was pointing to mid-set. I liked his stories about playing in Pomona back in...1999? (not sure if right) at the Glasshouse, and how he played in Pomona, Montana. haha. 

And when he was talking about the Fox Theater in the past, talking about a bunch of people I can't recall EXCEPT Charlie Chaplin and how he told Jackie Coogan (maybe?) to stop being a kid, maybe because he played the kid, or was Jack talking about Billy the Kid? Someone will clarify that maybe.

I recognized Jack White's pure passion as a performer, as an observer I can tell that he is so passionate about what he does, it exudes off him and its wonderful to watch and experience. I loved the moment where his hat flew off while he was head bashing as he soloed, his sweaty hair flipping back and forth. What a performer, damn. I'm glad I got to see it. 

It's funny, at first I was almost upset because there was tall people in front of me, but then when the show started people pushed forward a bit. Then these crazy old ladies pushed everyone, and I got closer to the front. I'm fine with being pushed if it gets me closer to the stage. I believe I heard one guy tell the old drunk broad that she smells, haha!

It bothered me a bit that some people didn't respect the "no cellphones and live in the moment" talk that Lalo gave. People still took out their phones, but at least it was pretty minimal.

#8 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Good to see That Black Bat Licorice debut. Hope he plays it at Glastonbury.

#9 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Darlene - your thoughts/review?

#10 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

i'm exhausted!  it's only 8:30 here, not sure how these others have the energy to gather their thoughts enough to write them down!

this was definitely a modern jack, of Lazaretto 2014 and not so much of TWS.  and he definitely reminded everyone that he plays the guitar like it's part of his body, or more than that.  

he and Daru together are crazy energy on stage.

he seemed to really come to life during Ball and Biscuit in the second half of the show.

highlights for me, the opener Dead Leaves when he takes the stage and completely asserts his stage command and Slowly Turning into You (wow) and Hello Operator.  (yeah, a little ws bias on my part, i'm sure!)

i thought the crowd had a lot of energy, and i think jack responded to that.  i too wondered about him calling out someone to Lalo.  i did see some cell phones, but not that many.  

http://www.setlist.f...a-3bc00434.html

:wub:

on the negative side, i don't think the sound was that great.  loud, obviously, but kind of mushy.  impossible to understand jack, even when he was just talking.  you could get about 2/3 of the words he said, but without the rest the meaning was lost.  plus he talks fast!

also, he pretend-ends songs too much.  it's not bad once in a while, but i think he overdid that a bit.

all in all, a fabulous 2 hours! (we were almost halfway from the stage on the ground floor, pretty close really.)

(coffee, where are you?)

#11 Chrisedge

Chrisedge

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

No cameras were allowed in the Fox (I know Jack's thoughts) and I had to return mine to my car. I did see a couple of actual cameras inside though including a guy with a DSLR in the middle of the floor. Saw the guy flipping off (Lalo) and still saw more phones out than I did last tour when I saw him at the Shrine.

He was much more on fire than when I saw him in 2012. While the setlist is shorter than the other LA shows, I was totally happy with the song choices that we got. I like the more rockin Jack songs and we seemed to get more of that. Ball and Biscuit was a highlight and he only broke out the Triple Jet for Lazaretto (I drool over that guitar and would love to build a copy of it)

Great show, and tired feet.

Edited by Chrisedge, 13 June 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#12 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Jack should invest in a cell scrambler for his shows.

#13 Whazup

Whazup

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Stripes42 yeah the sound was muddied a little, Jack's vocals got drowned out at times and his acoustic was on the quiet side but the actual playing was phenomenal!

Killer version of Ball & Biscut as well, he was really going all out

Edit: oh and Three Women was groovy as hell and completely smokes live :)

Edited by Whazup, 13 June 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#14 Chrisedge

Chrisedge

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I had a hard time trying to figure out all the lyrics in Ball and Biscuit.

I made some small changes to the setlist.fm setlist. Here is the whole thing...

01. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
02. High Ball Stepper
03. Lazaretto
04. Hotel Yorba
05. You Know That I Know
06. Freedom at 21
07. Hypocritical Kiss
08. That Black Bat Licorice
09. Three Women
10. Top Yourself
11. Icky Thump
12. Missing Pieces
13. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
14. You Can't Get That Stuff No More
15. Ball and Biscuit
16. Hello Operator
17. We're Going to Be Friends
18. Love Interruption
19. Steady, As She Goes
20. Seven Nation Army

#15 Katz

Katz

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

...and the great set lists continue. Thanks for the reviews everyone!

#16 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

14. You Can't Get That Stuff No More

! ! !

#17 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

^^that was fun. 

i knew something had been left off that list.  thanks for fixing it, Chrisedge!

the break came after Icky Thump.

#18 Chrisedge

Chrisedge

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

at the end of Hotel Yorba Stuff

In this very theater...Harry Houdini escaped his worst relationship of his life...

In the same café in the front of this theater, Basil Rathbone once said, "this dinner only comes with soup?"

It was in that very balcony that Lon Chaney told Lon Chaney Jr. "Get to work"

In foyer of this theater Charlie Chaplin once told Jackie Coogan who played the kid, "Grow up already"

#19 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Chrisedge: Did you remember that or did you record it? Thanks though, I was wondering about it. 

#20 stay gold

stay gold

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Wasn't screwdriver played in the middle of dead leaves and the dirty ground?

Also, I'm really digging the hip hop pre show music. When they were coming out they changed the song to Sure Shot and turned up the volume

Edited by stay gold, 13 June 2014 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users