Photo

June 11, 2014 - LOS ANGELES, CA (The Mayan)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 stay gold

stay gold

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:13 AM

Uh holy shit... Conan, john c Reilly... Craziest rendition of seven nation army, bound to pack it up.. Devils hair cut...

#3 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

I'm in shock. Most incredible show. During Seven Nation Army he sat down on the side of the stage In front of us, then slid off. Ppl to my left immediately started to reach for him and touch him and he rolled, heavily into them, pushing his head into theirs and proceeded to walk down the entire front row letting ppl touch his hair and hug him as he played. Occasionally he seemed to lean into ppl along the line.
I uh..,,gently touched his chest as he passed. Yea, I did. It was insane but it seemed like he was inviting all those hands. Evidently this was heavily filmed by people and will be on YouTube. Dear god. BEFORE that moment I already thought this might be the best show I'd seen, he was on fire. I'll type more when I'm off my iphone.

Edited by Then_It_Rained, 12 June 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#4 dhturner

dhturner

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, that was the most insane thing I've ever been a part of. I was out in front of the Mayan from 10am with some very cool people, and even though Jack didn't go on until 12 hours later, it would have been worth the wait just to see Icky Thump like that. I've never seen a person jump around looking like they have 10,000 volts of electricity pumping through them, but Jack did it tonight. Screwdriver, Alone in My Room, medley of I'm Bound to Pack It Up/You've Got Her in Your Pocket were all awesome. I love how he started Dead Leaves on acoustic, went to the piano, and finished on electric guitar. 

I was on the rail on the left side of the stage (thanks Sam and Victoria for making room for me up there), and he came over and played 7NA right in front of us. Then he sat down on the stage in front of us, still playing the riff. Then he got down into the little 3-foot gap between the stage and the rail and walked the entire length of the stage, letting people touch him the entire way down, still playing the riff the entire time. Yeah, that was totally bananas. At first I thought it might be weird to reach out and touch this sweaty grown man who's roughly my age, but I still did because of course I did.

Then, right after that was the finale of Irene Goodnight with Conan and John C. Reilly. Jack was totally on fire tonight. I really hope the show in Pomona is cool tomorrow night, but unless he literally blows the roof off and gives everyone a free Prius, it's probably not going to top tonight.

#5 dhturner

dhturner

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

I'm going to post a few pictures when I get them off my phone...

Edited by dhturner, 12 June 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#6 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

Uh holy shit... Conan, john c Reilly... Craziest rendition of seven nation army, bound to pack it up.. Devils hair cut...

"Uh holy shit" is right!!

#7 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, that was the most insane thing I've ever been a part of. I was out in front of the Mayan from 10am with some very cool people, and even though Jack didn't go on until 12 hours later, it would have been worth the wait just to see Icky Thump like that. I've never seen a person jump around looking like they have 10,000 volts of electricity pumping through them, but Jack did it tonight. Screwdriver, Alone in My Room, medley of I'm Bound to Pack It Up/You've Got Her in Your Pocket were all awesome. I love how he started Dead Leaves on acoustic, went to the piano, and finished on electric guitar. 

I was on the rail on the left side of the stage (thanks Sam and Victoria for making room for me up there), and he came over and played 7NA right in front of us. Then he sat down on the stage in front of us, still playing the riff. Then he got down into the little 3-foot gap between the stage and the rail and walked the entire length of the stage, letting people touch him the entire way down, still playing the riff the entire time. Yeah, that was totally bananas. At first I thought it might be weird to reach out and touch this sweaty grown man who's roughly my age, but I still did because of course I did.

Then, right after that was the finale of Irene Goodnight with Conan and John C. Reilly. Jack was totally on fire tonight. I really hope the show in Pomona is cool tomorrow night, but unless he literally blows the roof off and gives everyone a free Prius, it's probably not going to top tonight.

So nice meeting you !!

#8 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

OMG I'm crying. I'm so envious right now. I'm Bound to Pack it Up and Screwdriver ?!?! Letting the audience touch him?!?!

#9 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Yes, part of screwdriver but I lost my shit.

#10 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:40 AM

Uhhhhhhh
http://instagram.com/p/pIrwypui5x/

#11 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

I was two people to your right I think, and I agree...that was the most insane show I have been too. It was amazing, and then 7NA happened and I completely lost it.

Edited by kristi309, 12 June 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#12 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

When he got back on stage during seven nation army he wanted us to take over at "I'm going to Wichita" but we were so dazed everyone was all over the place and he was like "no, you're slowing it down" and had us do it again. Lol

Edit: just found this
http://instagram.com/p/pItgSOG-u3/

Maybe he said "you take a turn now" ?

I don't know, I'm slightly deaf at the moment.

Edited by Then_It_Rained, 12 June 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#13 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

Wow! Sounds amazing! Conan too! damn, I really wish I was there. I'm going to see Jack tomorrow in Pomona, hopefully it's as intense! And also, people start waiting at 10 a.m? That early? Is that what it takes to be up front? 

#14 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

http://instagram.com/p/pIyZk6EyAv/

#15 stay gold

stay gold

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

God damn how good was the opener with icky thump?! Jack was bouncing everywhere. That encore was bonkers too, switching gears left and right. Steady as she goes, cut like a buffalo, sixteen saltines, devils haircut were liked morphed into one.

#16 stay gold

stay gold

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

Yeah I'm going to the pomona show as well. I don't know how he will top tonight. I do hope the crowd is better though. The la crowds haven't been that bad, but considering the product on stage, they should be much more energetic. The sing alongs to hello operator and hotel yorba were very weak.

#17 Then_It_Rained

Then_It_Rained

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

Wow! Sounds amazing! Conan too! damn, I really wish I was there. I'm going to see Jack tomorrow in Pomona, hopefully it's as intense! And also, people start waiting at 10 a.m? That early? Is that what it takes to be up front? 

People didn't start coming in large numbers until late afternoon. Remember early entry people go in first, so the first person in line is really the 21st person in line.

I'm back at the hotel now and thought I'd write a few more words before I completely crash.

I scribbled some notes on the way back in the cab of things I didn't want to forget (thank you Tam, thank you Anglina for inspiring me to bring a notebook!)..

Dhturner really catured the electricity. Jack was just infused from the moment he hit the stage, prowling and then tearing ferociously into Icky Thump.

I think Katz described Jack as a rockstar conductor in the New Orleans thread and I have to say that it's truly the perfect description of where Jack is at now on stage with those musicians. He uses his hands to summon someone to improvise "louder" "softer" "now"... "now you"... he was alternating "stop" and "forward" motions with everyone on stage. Stopping the drums, bringing the the violin, summoning more drums, now stop --- Lillie Mae give more. The musicians watch him intently because he stops on a dime, he launches into intense, wild jams in the middle of songs and then somehow weaves himself back into a walloping finish. Everyone is following his lead and he's uninhibited and following some inner guide. It's SO exhilerating to watch.

His solos are getting more and more incredbile with each show I see. He looses himself in them; eyes closed, sometimes smiling to himself or to the sound. At one point he was doing something with his fingers that I couldn't even understand and teasing sounds I'd never heard from him before.

The encore was just PURE power and fury. Slowly Turning Into You, I Cut Like a Buffalo and Sixteen Salteens were particularly wild and intensee; I swear it felt like watching him caught in some sort of insane electric web. Unrelenting awesome.

During Steady as she goes... he went off into an incredible jam and at one point started spinning in circles in time to Daru's drumbeat as he soloed. I think he did like 5 rotations, feelin' it like that. Incredible.

Lots of champagne bottle swigging. There was a moment when he used the bottle to play slide. Damn.

And then of course, when we were all spent and thought the usual seven nation army finish was here... the whole world tunred on it's side. From then on, I think I was just floating out somewhere.

He finished doing Goodnight Irene with Conan and John C. Reilly. They'd been watcing from the side of the stage and before returning for the encore he seemed to be trying to talk them into a song.

He didn't talk so much as other shows recently, but at the end he talked about how beautiful the theater is and seemed to be making some kind of joke about it being built by the mayans (I was fairly deaf at this point and couldn't quite make that out!) and then said a really heartfelt thank you and goodnight.

As drop dead tired as I am, I don't want to close my eyes on this night

Edited by Then_It_Rained, 13 December 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#18 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

OMG I'm crying. I'm so envious right now. I'm Bound to Pack it Up and Screwdriver ?!?! Letting the audience touch him?!?!

DITTO>

Oh. My. God.

#19 Jettkoral

Jettkoral

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Devil's Haircut.

#20 Katz

Katz

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Sounds positively AMAZING! You lucky LUCKY people! This thread will be where I click into today when I need a dose of ecstatic exuberance because it's just popping off the screen in here. Soooo happy for all of you. Carry on kids, let the Jackgasms continue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users