Photo

December 7, 2012 - OAKLAND, CA (Not So Silent Night)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 Conquest85

Conquest85

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Anyone going tonight?

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Just saw some comments in a friend's Facebook feed indicating that the Peacocks performed and the crowd was apparently quite lame.  "Quiet as church mice the whole set" and "barely reacting to Seven Nation Army", as the person put it. 

#4 2crazikids

2crazikids

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

hmmmm....

#5 2crazikids

2crazikids

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Just saw some comments in a friend's Facebook feed indicating that the Peacocks performed and the crowd was apparently quite lame.  "Quiet as church mice the whole set" and "barely reacting to Seven Nation Army", as the person put it. 

And since I am avoiding FB like the plague these days I need YOU to be on the look out for any more info. I'm gonna go look for a setlist.

#6 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Found this on Setlist.FM--

Main set:
Freedom at 21 

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground 
Missing Pieces 
Love Interruption 
Hotel Yorba 
Weep Themselves to Sleep 
Sixteen Saltines 
Top Yourself 
Two Against One 
Steady, As She Goes 
I'm Slowly Turning Into You 

Encore:

The Hardest Button to Button 
Blue Blood Blues 
Ball and Biscuit >
Seven Nation Army

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

^^ Apparently, according to the friend of a friend who was at the show last night, Sixteen Saltines was in the middle of Cannon.  She also mentioned that he stopped Ball'n'Biscuit right in the middle and went straight to Seven Nation Army.

#8 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Doesn't sound like the show I'm MOST sorry I missed . . .

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, but I'll bet that, at the very least, it was still interesting.  I'd love to hear more.

#10 300 icky piranhas blues

300 icky piranhas blues

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

That sucks. I wonder if the Grammy crowd went to Oakland for a preview?  :rolleyes:

#11 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Definitely a 'standard' show but this is one of the tightest versions of "Freedom at 21" that I've ever heard:

And a pretty brilliant "Seven Nation Army", the crowd seems to have woken up for that one:
http://youtu.be/WTrwvV12vWo

(Off topic: holy crap are Catherine Popper's tights AWESOME. And Ruby's hair is fierce, has she had it like that for long?)

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I dunno, I think I have to disagree.  Taking into account that my impressions are based on middling quality videos and I haven't looked for any others to see what happened between those two songs that bookended the show, I get the feeling that might've been a fairly subdued set.  Jack's guitar was barely audible, at least during Freedom at 21, and I felt little to no energy from either him or the band while watching those.  And, man, what a sea of lcd screens during Freedom.  When he motioned for the crowd to clap, I swear I saw as many cameras go up as hands. 

Interesting.

#13 ThrillyJean

ThrillyJean

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Ruby did that about a week ago. Least that's when she tweeted her new hair. :) I love Popper, chick is great! Radio shows never interest me.. The crowds can be snotty .

#14 Hanska

Hanska

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Shit thats a lot of cellphones!

#15 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

the mob seemed pretty bouncy to me.   how much crowd energy does jack require?  is there any vid of jack white dancing to someone's else's music?  that would be an interesting "do as i say" document.    

#16 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,853 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

i'd recognize that bulge from a mile away.  spectacular!

#17 Bluey

Bluey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

...how much crowd energy does jack require?  is there any vid of jack white dancing to someone's else's music?  that would be an interesting "do as i say" document.    

Jack's masterclass on the 'thumbs in pockets' style and the ever-popular 'arms folded' move. I feel we can all learn from this.

#18 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Alison was totally getting down, on the other hand.  But then she usually does.  :lol:

#19 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Jo's photos are up--  http://jackwhiteiii.com/live-photos/

#20 ariabee

ariabee

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I was at this show and can testify the crowd sucked. You could see little pockets of hardcores here and there, but in our row, almost everyone had left! It's like who the hell leaves before HE takes the stage. Dummies.

We figured okay when he plays Seven Nation Army, or any White Stripes songs for that matter, people would lose their shit. *crickets*

The fact he stopped Ball and Biscuit midway seemed like a bad sign. He looked pissed as they were about to take their bow.

That said, he was on point as always :) it's too bad most of the crowd couldn't appreciate that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users