Photo

August 8, 2012 - MORRISON, CO (Red Rocks Amphitheatre)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Incredibly stressful, but got front row. :)

#3 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

Sorry to hear you were stressed, but so happy you got to the front!!!

#4 laurelei

laurelei

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Living vicariously through you... deets when you can!

#5 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Awesome B show pictures:
http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/08/08/photos-jack-white-plays-a-secret-show-in-denver/#name here

#6 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

Bed, airport in morning--details later from me or someone else, Peacocks, another amazing show (Jack makes everything better), I got John the Revelator (in Cannon) and B & B, so can die happy. (Also the slow version of Fell in Love With a Girl. And I'm Shakin'.)

(Not really--they used the album track as they were walking on stage, but didn't actually play it. Darn!)

#7 MajinTrunkz

MajinTrunkz

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Is this the first time they've done FILWAG? I'd love to hear that.

#8 whitesummerhotel

whitesummerhotel

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

also the first time they did 'I'm shakin' right??

#9 denialtwister

denialtwister

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Well, they just had it playing over the PA's as the band came out. It was a truly awesome show. Though, if anyone has an extra poster, please let me know! They sold out as soon as I got up to the counter. Thanks!

#10 denialtwister

denialtwister

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't remember the order from last night, but here are the songs he played:

Main set:
Dead Leaves (Opening Song)
Missing Pieces
Cannon & John the Revelator
Hotel Yorba
Love Interruption
We Are Gonna Be Friends
Blunderbuss
Top Yourself
Broken Boy Soldier

Take Me With You When You Go
I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
Hip Eponymous Poor Boy
Weep Themselves to Sleep
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Fell In Lover With A Girl
Screwdriver
Blue Blood Blues
Ball & Biscuit

Encore:
Sixteen Saltines
Freedom at 21
Steady As She Goes
Seven Nation Army
Goodnight Irene

I'm pretty sure that's all!

#11 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

First verse of Screwdriver,anyway. :)

Another nearly 2-hour show, btw!

Edited by Aquamarine, 09 August 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#12 TheHen0

TheHen0

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

FELL IN LOVE WITH A GIRL!
YESSSSSS

#13 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

For my first Jack-White-Solo-Inside-An-Actual-Venue-Show, it was quite an experience.

Although Denialtwister & I were 5th & 6th in line at our gate, it turned out to be a complete cluster and thus we did not manage to get front row spots, but I guess second & third rows are not too shabby given how crazy it was and how packed the place got. And also thanks to some extremely kind ladies we were able to leave for the b-show and come back to the line and I am ever so appreciative of that as the b-show was something I will never forget so long as I live.

I had a feeling he'd bring the Peacocks and was not disappointed, they were on fire. CARLA AZAR IS AMAZING. A very 'Blunderbuss' heavy show which I was so pleased with. 'Broken Boy Soldier' *sigh* My brother's first Jack White concert experience, a fun time had by all. It was an amazing day to say the least.

edit: also wanted to add that Pokey & his band were fantastic, a perfect opener for the venue, they fit right in. Also, Helen & Tam it was great to meet you guys as well. I can't get over all of the complete douche bag's who did not respect the integrity of the line and it's just a shame we couldn't all get early entry.
I was so pleased they played 'I'm Shakin' as they took they stage, and the flub during 'Hotel Yorba' was indeed priceless. He seemed to have a connection with the audience which made for a special time, but of course we were all so grateful that he came here I think the appreciation was in the air. I don't know about the guys picking up on cues more than the women, but I do love how those ladies will give it right back.

Edited by ymagirl, 09 August 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#14 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I should have mentioned earlier that it was great to meet you finally!

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just got home from Denver and unpacked. Have barely been on the computer this week, so I ended up scribbling notes about last night's show on a motel notepad as the plane took off this morning. Gonna be random stuff just like from Omaha--

- POKEY AND THE SOUTH CITY THREE!!! I was just about as excited to see them as I was to see Jack and they didn't disappoint. Their set was way too short so they weren't able to play many old favorites, but they did play a couple of new tunes which makes me really excited that there could be a new album coming out soon. The folks sitting next to us had never heard of them and it was very, very cool to see how much they enjoyed the fellas.

- As mentioned, I'm Shakin' was played as the walk-on music. Crowd went nuts, of course. Jack's definitely smart to not perform that live, he'd have a riot on his hands.

- He came out in a black button-down shirt, high-waisted black pants, and the blue suspenders he wore in Melbourne (I think?), with his white winklepickers and the blue hat he apparently wore at that day's b-show. Hat was gone after a couple of tunes.

- Jack flubbed the beginning of the third verse of Yorba, starting with the words from the second verse instead. Caught himself, grinned, and stopped the song. He stood there a moment and laughed a bit, said something about "We can do better than that", then had the crowd help him start the verse properly.

- It wasn't until Cannon/John the Revelator that the setting of the venue began to be taken advantage of. Up until this song, the area behind the stage, beyond the I I I banners, had been black. You couldn't even tell the back of the stage was a wall of desert rock. As the heavy part of Cannon kicked in, suddenly the lights began alternating between totally black and a wash of blue across the rocks, synchronized with those pounding beats of the bass drum. It was such an incredibly powerful visual effect to go along with the thumping aural impact of that song. John the Revelator was on piano until the very end, at which point Jack made the transition from it back into Cannon with piano and guitar in unison, one hand on each.

- Weep Themselves to Sleep began on the Army-Navy acoustic, with Jack switching to the Tele mid-song to launch into the solo.

- (Eponymous) Boy choked me up because it seemed to choke Jack up. When the crowd recognized the beginning of the song, there was a big cheer and it seemed to take Jack by surprise. He paused at the mic and just stood there for a moment with a big smile on his face before he began singing. And that smile stayed in place through most of the song. He sang different lyrics for at least one verse, but I couldn't make them out.

- Leading into I Guess I Should Go To Sleep, he commented on the beautiful painting job that had been done inside the venue to make it look so much like the outdoors.

- He seems to have retired the "twist & shout" line in Ball & Biscuit already. Last night, before/during/after (it's a blur) the solo, he began singing "I know you well enough to to know I can't come over whenever I want", repeating it three times before ripping back into the guitar.

- It's interesting to note how much attention Jack pays to what's going on in the crowd. At one point during Steady As She Goes, he slowed things down for a few moments before picking back up to the usual raucous tempo of that song. Helen commented later that the slow part coincided with the time that it took for one of the security guys to jump up in front of us and chase a girl who tried to rush the front back to her seat.

- The intro to Goodnight Irene was lovely. He said goodnight to the crowd by commenting (this is close but not verbatim) "You're going to go home. And the ladies [referring to the Peahens] and I are going to ride through the desert all night. I can't think of anything more beautiful than that."

- I paid a lot more attention to the bands at this show and Omaha than I have at past shows and a huge difference between them really jumped out at me last night-- When Jack begins just noodling at the guitar either between songs or mid-song, the Buzzards pick up on what he's doing and jam with him. The Peahens, on the other hand, seem to all stop and watch him, waiting to see where he's going to end up. My impression, and I'm fully aware that other people feel differently, is that the Peahens are all terrific musicians, but that the Buzzards are showmen in addition to musicians. I think that's one of the reasons that this show, combined with the stresses of the earlier part of the day, didn't have the emotional impact for me that Omaha did. Jack was mind-blowing as always, he could have been on that stage all by himself and the place would still have been filled with crackling, scream-inducing energy. The venue was gorgeous, especially when the lighting crew played up the back wall. But of the two shows this week, Omaha is the one I'd really like to re-live.

Some great photos here-- http://www.heyreverb...4019/#name here

Edited by Kali Durga, 09 August 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#16 Scarlet Siren

Scarlet Siren

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Dang it ymagirl and Kali, those are such great reviews, I'm generally in a daze after a show and can never recall much so I appreciate the all details, I know others do too! Thank you both so much,

I was grinning from ear to ear reading straight through, and I admit, my stomach fluttered with excitement for next month! .

I have questions... but I should be getting some sleep. Will ask tomorrow unless someone else asks before me. :)

Thanks again!

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

edit: also wanted to add that Pokey & his band were fantastic, a perfect opener for the venue, they fit right in. Also, Helen & Tam it was great to meet you guys as well. I can't get over all of the complete douche bag's who did not respect the integrity of the line and it's just a shame we couldn't all get early entry.

I was really happy to meet you, too, Amy. And Luke, King of Tarp City! As cool as you guys are and as gorgeous as Red Rocks is, though, I don't think I would ever want see another show there. Waaaaaay too stressful, what with the multiple venue entrances, steep stairs and ramps everywhere, and lack of line etiquette. I'm still stunned that I somehow managed to haul ass up those steps and get my usual spot. And when I tried to save spaces for other folks from the group, some guy (who later turned out to be a girl) leaped down from the row above, literally sat on my arm, and yelled "No saving spaces!". Ugh. You really don't have to sit on my extremities to convince me that saving spots won't work. Thank whatever's above, memories of Jack and those eye-goggling lighting effects against the rock wall will outlive the less pleasant parts of the day.

Dang it ymagirl and Kali, those are such great reviews, I'm generally in a daze after a show and can never recall much so I appreciate the all details, I know others do too! Thank you both so much,

You're quite welcome. And I hope you managed to figure out how to turn off my signature.

Edited by Kali Durga, 09 August 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#18 Bill B

Bill B

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

I have to say the locals were a bit rowdy last night indeed. I am shocked some guy tried to pull rank on seats like that. I had my little girl get our spots 3rd row right center, our new vault friends from WVA teamed up and made great company. But seeing the B show really helped lift our spirits before the show. If felt like we just saw an alien land after the set at the tire shop! And then in line to deal with the angry mob. 90 degrees in the desert will piss anybody off.I can see how frustrating it is hoping for early entry,tracking a bus, then getting to the venue on time it's a lot to deal with. I guess it's a lesson learned, strength in numbers Vaulters. Early entry was a small crowd...I was expecting 20, there were 7 I think. The locals were restless especially the big guy screaming and denouncing exercise in line by us. I will never forget that. If there is a next time I look forward to meeting more of the vault gang, I can truely say I have not met a vault member I did not like. I have a new found respect for all of you. Well written reviews gals, your husband is cool fella ymagirl, we met him at the RRS. So my day was a bit different, indeed stressful at many points, but worth it for me, my daughter has memories that few will get to experience, so yea...daddy did good.

#19 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

Dunno about strength in numbers, we had plenty of folks there . . it was just a very stressful (and hot!) experience, and I've usually had fun during the 12-hour line waits. (Btw sorry not to meet you, Bill--you were obviously at a different entrance. Shame the assholes were everywhere.)

I also dunno how Tam remembers all that (Amy too) but I'm very glad you did! Of the two shows, I'd take Omaha too, but last night was still an unbelievable show. (John the effing Revelator!! ;) ). Very happy you guys got a b show too--as Tam said, no way it was feasible for us, but I'm VERY happy with the Omaha b show which I'll remember forever!

Home now after scary drive home from Dallas (lightning storms), feeling physically crappy but otherwise very very happy I went!

Btw, just a small note, before the show Jack's mom was walking up and down in front of the stage (wearing a Peacocks-blue suit), and was eventually accosted by a fan--she was so amenable to chatting, posing for pics and giving autographs that quite a few people went up to her in the end. The next time I saw her, she was stageside clapping along enthusiastically to Hotel Yorba, sweet moment.

Edited by Aquamarine, 10 August 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#20 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

thank you all for the stories you have put here, sounds damn amazing regardless some chumps in red rocks :D

also Kali your impression on Buzzards really reflects how I felt about them since like first casts and whatnot, and what's more I was mindblown how laid back they have to be with Jack, remember from webcast in Belgium when they started some jam alone, and Jack had to join in, those guys got really that brilliant up-to-something attidute that I always admire :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users