253 replies to this topic

#41 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

after hearing the album, i think i want to see Carla as much (if not more!) than Daru. i'll happily take either in London in June :)

I want to see the girl band because I'm a huge fan of Bonnie Hunt.

#42 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

aaaannnnddd... the ladies stepped up when asked and answer the call to drive as hard as jack... thats right sister... do yo thang smilin!

#43 dazed22

dazed22

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

I hope I get the Male band in Sydney - absolutely love the drummer and even the keys. They both seem to jam a lot more, feel the vibe... You can see they do things that even surprise (and impress) Jack... I love it! Daru is so animated too!

#44 WhiteMoonTears

WhiteMoonTears

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

What can I say? I think the bands' namesakes are really apt in this case. Peacocks put on a great show, yes. But it's the buzzards that kill.

It reminds me of how Jack once said that you put a girl in the room and the whole atmosphere changes, becomes less aggressive, more civil. From what I've seen, I feel like The Peacocks have that effect on Jack. But me personally? I'd rather see him all-out aggressive, forget civil.

Of course, I haven't seen either band live yet, so maybe I'll soon be eating my words!

#45 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Honestly, I don't really "get" this whole boy band/girl band thing. It seems an odd impulse to segregate musicians by gender. Big boys are still scared of little girls I guess. But what do I know anyway. This must be some sort of aesthetic choice? Meaning the musicians are also partly wallpaper? BUT WHAT DO I KNOW ANYWAY. Somebody has issues.

#46 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

I think that he mentioned somewhere that the reason for the two different bands was that the music takes on a different life when played by different gender bands. And in my opinioin, he does as well. His approach is more refined with the ladies, but he never was with Meg :huh: . I think that I remember him saying that the reason for two bands was to keep him on his toes and to mix it up a bit so that the road doesn't become a drag if you will. Same ol, same ol after awhile. And, he's got a huge tour in front of him. Whatever his reasoning, I'm looking forward to this tour. I've missed Jack.

#47 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think that he mentioned somewhere that the reason for the two different bands was that the music takes on a different life when played by different gender bands.

His approach is more refined with the ladies, but he never was with Meg :huh: . I think that I remember him saying that the reason for two bands was to keep him on his toes and to mix it up a bit so that the road doesn't become a drag if you will. Same ol, same ol after awhile. And, he's got a huge tour in front of him.

well lets face it... that bass player may just have to deliver that baby and so dominic and other guys might be integrated into the peacock crew as needed... corey yount would be the next candidate to fill in that mando sound for some of the peacock work as well

i love the idea that jack is 'fleshing out' the potentials of these songs and their inherent sounds with his acknowledgement that gender may well play a certain role with regards to interpretation and also delivery of style... i cant think of a single woman that might mix over with the guy band besides Ruby though ... ultimately i do think that jack will use one band as his opening band and the other as his feature performers if he gets to a few events that seem like they just need to get in and get out without much other adieu

any worries i had about the tour with regards to the musicians and their extensive presence seem worth it for what the end product is becoming relative to the return of white stripes material to the stage and the eventual evolution of players for all of Jacks bands in case someone is on tour and cannot do the job of filling in the part he needs them to play ... its better for jack to coordinate like this

as for Meg and the idea that he was not refined with Meg... i feel like he showed a lot of that but was struggling with other aspects of a learning curve that lead him to be the professional that he is today which may not have been how their relationship worked/didnt work

i feel sorta terrible acting like i truly understand the connections in that situation but i do understand what happens in a music outfit

#48 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

What can I say? I think the bands' namesakes are really apt in this case. Peacocks put on a great show, yes. But it's the buzzards that kill.

Except that buzzards don't kill. They're scavengers, carrion-eaters.

#49 skullfeast

skullfeast

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think there's a different dynamic with the Buzzards vs the Peacocks. The sound is different. Whether it's Jack being different in front of women, or women playing differently for Jack, or both...or maybe even my perception of it (chicks aren't as aggressive as guys, GENERALLY) but there is a difference.

I notice both bands are extremely talented in their own right; Jack chose some very skilled musicians that know their craft...both Daru and Carla are AMAZING drummers, I love them both for their unique styles, I can't choose. I like certain songs with certain people.. I like Freedom at 21 with the Peacocks, Cut Like a Buffalo with Buzzards, Take Me With You, and DLOTDG with women...7NA with men... I've seen the girls play at the Tulsa show, but I've seen a good amount of video with both. I'm leaning towards favoring the Buzzards more at the moment, but Brooke and Carla are mind-blowing... soo honestly can't decide. Thankfully I don't have to, I can have the best of both worlds. I hope I see the guys play live sometime, just to have seen both.

#50 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Except that buzzards don't kill. They're scavengers, carrion-eaters.

tell that to this child

Posted Image

#51 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

as for Meg and the idea that he was not refined with Meg... i feel like he showed a lot of that but was struggling with other aspects of a learning curve that lead him to be the professional that he is today which may not have been how their relationship worked/didnt work

You know, I misrepresented what I meant to say. I should have said that he never held back with Meg. He played the same way with Meg as he does with the guys. He's just a little ball of fire :P

Edited by kts1997, 29 April 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#52 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

You know, I misrepresented what I meant to say. I should have said that he never held back with Meg. He played the same way with Meg as he does with the guys. He's just a little ball of fire :P

honey... if that is a little ball of fire then all i got to say is that i gotta be careful that it doesnt burn my whole house down ... ;)

i can see what you mean more clearly now and agree that he didnt hold back ... part of his youth me thinks

#53 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I can't think of a weak link in either band. The ones who stand out to me so far are Carla, Daru, the male mandolin/harp player, Ruby, Dominic and Lillie Mae. I admit that with Lillie Mae, it's as much her look/stage presence as the playing. The male fiddle player is no slouch either. There are a few people I haven't referred to (keyboards, bass, steel guitar) and every one of them seems excellent, I just don't have a strong opinion of them individually yet.

#54 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I can't think of a weak link in either band. The ones who stand out to me so far are Carla, Daru, the male mandolin/harp player, Ruby, Dominic and Lillie Mae. I admit that with Lillie Mae, it's as much her look/stage presence as the playing. The male fiddle player is no slouch either. There are a few people I haven't referred to (keyboards, bass, steel guitar) and every one of them seems excellent, I just don't have a strong opinion of them individually yet.

I actually think the same thing you just said. I saw the guy band in Memphis, and really enjoyed Daru, bass player, and mandolin player. Ikey on keys was alright, he brings a cool vibe, but I do like that Brooke knows all of her parts she wrote so well. I'd mix the bands up and create my favorite band, but it's too hard to cut Carla or Daru.

#55 pageprince

pageprince

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

i won't multi quote but...
the girls win,
i have a crush on ruby
carla's an awesome drummer with great feel for the songs (and i have crush on her, too)
,.... sixteen saltines on euro tv with girls was better than snl....

#56 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

i won't multi quote but...
the girls win,
i have a crush on ruby
carla's an awesome drummer with great feel for the songs (and i have crush on her, too)
,.... sixteen saltines on euro tv with girls was better than snl....

we could tell actually.... :D

#57 tiller

tiller

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Shouldn't the girl band be the Peahens, not the Peacocks?

#58 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

Inside the world of Daru and The Blunderbuss tour.

https://www.facebook...62233121&type=1

#59 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

I'd rather see the girl band because I love Bonnie Hunt.

#60 Little Jellybee

Little Jellybee

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

I'd mix the bands up and create my favorite band, but it's too hard to cut Carla or Daru.

take both like in the dirtbombs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users