89 replies to this topic

#1 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I just finished watching the Dead Weather's Letterman Performance and I was almost moved to tears by their brilliance. And then I realised this almost two year journey is over. And then I realised how sad it made me. Because after putting up with Letterman's torturous interview with Julia Roberts I was blown away, and if you knew how many fucking times I've listened to that song that's saying something. And then I realised how important this band, and this time in Jack's career, has been to me. I could try and concisely summarise it but I don't think I could so I'll just send a trip down memory lane. Recall what I ca about my relationship with a band that caught me up at the right time. In 2008 I was livid because Jack got sick and a rumoured Big Day Out tour of Australia never came to fruition. To add salt to the wound I couldn't attend The Kills concert because I was under 18. To relieve my pain over Raconteurs death I got caught up in the White Stripes return and I'm sure we can all remember waiting anxiously as that secret event unfolded, rumours persisting. And when it was unveiled it all fell together. Alison Mosshart proved to be the perfect foil to Jack and the Dead Weather were born.... oh and he was on drums. So I approached the band with as much anticipation as I could, but of course I only had two singles to go on and as much as I wanted to spin the record on release day I had to fly off to Oxford before it's release. In Oxford I wasn't having a regular touristy holiday, it was time to relax and just take a break from normal life. So I was stuck halfway across the world with nothing but a pre-release stream of Horehound and one motherfucker of a book to finish. So during those Oxford days I spent all my time blasting Horehound and immersing myself in the chemistry of it all. It was the purest stuff to me, just a bunch of people in band that shouldn't exist from a financial stand point and playing standard blues rock but pushed ahead by that intangible quality of drive in the room that makes a recording immortal. Of course it was Jack who stole it for me, listening to those drum beats, so unpredictable and inspired. The way the kick drum sporadically blasted in and out in TMLYM and as I listened to it I realised how drums can transform a song, they can be what turns chords and lyrics into a fully realised idea. And so I decided, like so many times before, that fuck it! I would learn to play the drums. Right there in Oxford, with no musical instrument on me, I planned to take on an instrument that had never spoken to me before. And shockingly I followed through with it! When I returned home, I played every single day, to the ere of my neighbours and eventually I became competent enough to form a new duo with myself on drums and vocals, with the Dead Weather as an invaluable influence. I remember staying up at night to listen to those nearly unlistenable vault one off performances, and loving every second and I remember the excitement of hearing brand new songs at the Outside Lands festival. And then of course we all found out that indeed, a second album would be coming out in less then a year. It made the stripes feel slow moving. so that was all well and good and exciting. But then it happened......
The Dead Weather were coming to fucking Australia. I was going to see the hero of my life Jack White and the greatest living band of musicians (as a cohesive whole I mean). Just as the 2006 Sydney show had changed me I knew this one would, although they were already so important. And they came. And they fucking conquered. I remember 60 Ft. Tall playing and not being prepared, after hearing SOOOO many versions live, that I could still be completely blown away by it. I remember Jack strutting across stage as he delivered the vocals of his life on You Just Can't Win. I remember hearing Blue Blood Blues in it's infancy. I remember Jack cutting off Rocking Horse to join Allison centre stage. I remeber Child Of A Few Hours seemlessly becoming Hustle & Cuss. I remeber Jack singing completely off mic in WTBEW and being heard by EVERYONE. I remember Allison staring right at me, challenging me to sing along to the unreleased I Can't Hear You. I remember the crowd around me have a series of fits as Treat Me Like Your Mother and we all screamed back 'you blink when you lie'. And of course I remember shaking all of their hands and managing to tell Jack White, in person, as quickly as I could how inspiring he was and managing to thank him. And that nod of gratitude. I remember staying up until 4AM to watch the screaming vinyl live and being so tired that i started hallucinating about the weird shit going on on screen. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs 'shake your hips like battle ships' at the most innapropriate of times. I remember taking half of school off to watch the live performance of Sea Of Cowards.

There's so many other things to remember but watching them for the last time on Letterman the most important thing about them is not a single memory. It's about proving what a group of people and a drive can do. To scream 'come home' like your life depends on it, explode at the same time as 'that raven haired beauty' screams 'I wanna climb up one more time on you'. When people are inspired by what they play it delivers so much more than technical innovation or musical proficiency can ever achieve. So I want to say to everyone, and on the slight chance to the band, if they're reading this, that I will miss the Dead Weather. And that I love, and always will love, The Dead Weather. Fuck it, I remember as the van carrying the band pulled out from the back of the enmore I yelled one thing to a crowd of elated fans.

LONG LIVE THE DEAD WEATHER

#2 favian

favian

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

i like the dead weather

#3 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

i like the dead weather too, but i don't want more

#4 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

My goodness! I thought you would love watching Blue Blood Blues on tv.

#5 RobWhite

RobWhite

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

The Dead Weather
I love them, I love them, I love them, I love them, I love them, I love them, I love them, I LOVE them, I L O V E them too...

#6 Lux White

Lux White

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

That was a really moving post, lusty. I have to agree with you. I've been trying to see TDW since their first tour, and for some reason or another, I wasn't able to. All I could do was read reviews and reactions on threads in the Little Room and watch YouTube videos from the shows. After doing that for over a year, listening to their music or reading about them didn't mean anything. It was almost like they didn't exist to me, since I could only look at pictures of their performances and not really feel anything. But I finally, FINALLY got to see them on Tuesday in Brooklyn, and immediately they felt like a real, existing band to me. Not only was there Alison Mosshart, Dean Fertita, and Jack Lawrence right there before my very eyes, but there was Jack White himself. I know it doesn't seem like I'm making sense, but after 3 years since seeing The White Stripes back in 2007, I only admired Jack from a distance, watching him in IMGL, UGWNL, and listening to his other bands. But two nights ago, there he was. My favorite musician, singer, and performer in the flesh, only a few feet away from me. I was speechless. Seeing him perform live in person only redefined my love for him and his music. So yes, I will miss the Dead Weather, and I'm so happy I got to see them, at their last show no less, but Jack White, whether he's in the movies or with other bands, will always be around, putting his heart and soul into his music and giving us all he's got. No matter what he does, even if it's the worst crap out there, I will follow him, because he is and always will be my favorite.

Edited by Lux White, 05 August 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Oh, I so want to reply to this but it will have to wait until I get home from work...

#8 Conquest85

Conquest85

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

I too felt a little sad at the end of the Letterman show. It was quite the run. I can only imagine how bittersweet the band feels now too. I'm looking forward to hearing from the Kills and hopefully the Stripes soon.

#9 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Miss them? Yeah, well not so much. I'm just glad it's finally over. Don't get me wrong I like the Dead Weather, but they can't keep me interested like JW other bands. The future's looking bright now. Finally Jack has time to go back to the Greenhornes.

#10 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

TMR needs to do their own travelling festival complete with everybody - Greenhornes, White Stripes, Brendan Benson, Karen Elson, The Kills, Raconteurs, The Dead Weather ... just bring everybody out and have a blast. That way everybody is happy :) And it would be freaking awesome.

But yeah. I'll miss the Dead Weather for sure, but I'm also excited to see what new projects will come in the new year.

#11 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

The Dead Weather has absorbed me for a year and however many months. Two albums, five concerts, four road trips, and I thought I was ready for a break. But, oh man I've been feeling so down since that last concert I went to in Billings. The Kills next album/tour won't be until next year, the Greenhornes are alright, but not my bag, and I couldn't care less about QOTSA. After Jack rests up and vacations his ass off I'm sure he'll be back to making music. If it's TWS, then whoop-dee-doo, I can take them or leave them. Would love another Raconteurs album, but the whole steampunk thing is so passé; they'd have to come up with a new image. A completely new gig would be great, I'd love to see if Jack can strike gold a fourth time. It would be better for my bank account if TWS or the Racs reform, then I can resist throwing more money at Jack White. But if I get really lucky, perhaps in a year or two, Dean will once more crash at Jack's, LJ will drop by for a beer, and Jack will shanghai Alison off The Kills tour bus (if it hasn't been stolen again) and I can get back on the runaway train.

Edited by LonelyOrnateTear, 05 August 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#12 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

They'll be back. There's too much chemistry between them for it to dissipate altogether. Whatever else they all end up doing, we haven't seen the last of the Dead Weather. Trust me. B)

But oh, I miss them already! :( :(

#13 Lams

Lams

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

i wish they passed by portugal so i could have a real opinion about their live shows. but anyway, why does everyone think they're over?

#14 orangeshoeskid

orangeshoeskid

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

i wish they passed by portugal so i could have a real opinion about their live shows. but anyway, why does everyone think they're over?

Because they just played their last scheduled show and all have plans to go back to their original bands for the time being. Leaving Jack as the only one who hasn't said what he's working on next (aside from the few TMR projects he's mentioned like the Wanda Jackson LP). However they have said that they all see the Dead Weather coming back and doing more. So it's not like their gone for good.

#15 ytgbikn

ytgbikn

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

I'm sure they will record some stuff here and there when everyone has a break, even if its for a couple of days at a time.

#16 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Been playin' all my Dead Weather records today, even the singles. I took the dog out to pee real quick*, and found out that the whole entire neighborhood has been hearing this as well. You can hear it a block away, for serious. HA HA ON THE NEIGHBORS.

*The dog was peeing outside, not me. This time.

Edited by mittensonfire, 05 August 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#17 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

there are not many posts that long that hold my interest from start to finish, but you had me there lusty. the ride has been pretty damn sweet the last year and a half.
we should stop talking in eulogies though, because i doubt they're going anywhere. maybe just off for a well-deserved snooze...

Been playin' all my Dead Weather records today, even the singles. I took the dog out to pee real quick, and found out that the whole entire neighborhood has been hearing this as well. You can hear it a block away, for serious. HA HA ON THE NEIGHBORS.

excellent.

#18 foxglove

foxglove

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

i feel sad inside...my heart.

i honestly loved this band's energy and performance more than any of the others it was born from. i think i might go curl up in my room with my record player. on the floor. with the lights out. saaaaad panda.

they'll be missed on this end.

#19 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

I feel that way after every tour whether it be TWS, The Racs or TDW. Hell, I feel that way after a show let alone the entire tour. Not only do I miss the shows, but I miss the people that I meet up with at the shows. It's so great to have that common bond and it's sad to not know when I'll run into those folks again.

But..............we all know that they will be back in one form or another. This we must believe.

#20 TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

TMR needs to do their own travelling festival complete with everybody - Greenhornes, White Stripes, Brendan Benson, Karen Elson, The Kills, Raconteurs, The Dead Weather ... just bring everybody out and have a blast. That way everybody is happy :) And it would be freaking awesome.

But yeah. I'll miss the Dead Weather for sure, but I'm also excited to see what new projects will come in the new year.

this!!!!! but somewhere near where I live.... Nashville is way too far for me :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users