48 replies to this topic

#41 atrevino

atrevino

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

Late adding to the thread... I thought the show was awesome... from what I saw. My bestest got early entry so we were front row (nice seeing you again Kali and nice meeting you getbehindmejack) - five minutes before DW comes on I get sick - had to leave my spot. I was so disappointed! I had to watch from the Harlem merch table. The set was awesome - I think it was a little shorter than the 07/13 show in DC, but still it was amazing. Alison climbed up on the speakers, so I got a good look at her while she was there. I'm having withdraws already.

#42 atrevino

atrevino

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

What a fantastic night :)

Omgosh - this pictures are FANTASTIC. i'm so jealous that you got to meet LJ. Maybe one day I'll get to meet him. It was awesome meeting you and your friend! Maybe I'll see you at a future White Stripes concert (my fingers are crossed that it'll happen soon)

#43 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ah, I'm so sorry you didn't feel well! I think you're right, though, this show seemed a little shorter, and perhaps also a little bit less intense, than the DC date. Maybe it's 'cause Jack wasn't wearing his magic belt buckle ;) Glad you had a good time despite getting stuck on the side!

#44 Joe333

Joe333

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Despite all the craziness that's occurred lately, I'm finally able to post my first post in the Little Room. First, I'd just like to thank Kali once again for her generosity allowing my best friend and I to receive early entry. You truly gave Paul and I the experience of a lifetime. I couldn't agree with AnonymousBrunette's stance on TMR's early entry. Meeting Kali, AnonymousBrunette, GetBehindMeJack was an awesome experience in and of itself and I hope to see all three at future Third Man Records shows.

From the second that Paul and I walked into Rams Head Live!, we knew it was going to be an amazing night when we heard LJ and Dean sound-checking for the concert playing "The Difference Between Us". As we peered through the tiny slit in the side doors to the venue, we could clearly see the two doing what they do best. I was blown away by TDW's performance that night- all previous Dead Weather concerts that I've been to, I've been either stuck on the staircase or surrounded by 7-foot-tall Goliaths and/or obnoxious, inconsiderate concertgoers. Never before had I ever been so close to the stage and able to see every bit of detail and action on stage. As Kali said, once you've made it to the front of the stage, there's truly no other way that you'd ever want to experience a concert ever again.

Harlem's opening set was not nearly as energetic or polished as their 9:30 Club show had been. The crowd was not very responsive to their set and it really seemed that at both shows I've seen them at this year, they were not confident while playing together. They constantly kept mentioning the fact that the Dead Weather were playing soon and made awkward small talk among each other. Additionally it was very difficult to make out any lyrics to their songs besides the "Ooo's" in "South of France", my personal favorite song by them.

Allison was on a rampage the whole entire concert and it was sight to behold as she twisted and contorted her body, jumped atop the speakers, and sang her heart out. LJ 's bass playing never ceases to amaze me. He just seems so into the music he's playing and gives the music a truly unique feel. LJ also rarely makes any mistakes while playing. I love his effect pedal that gives he bass a guitar-like sound. I'd like to apologize to Dean though for accidentally blinding him when my camera's flash went off while taking pictures of him :P . Dean was on fire, and I can't say enough how much I respect his talent and the soul that he lends to the music.

As opposed to previous concerts, especially the concert at the 7/13 concert at the 9:30 Club, Jack seemed a little out of it. I believe it was most likely a combination of exhaustion and possibly missing his wife and children since the tour was nearing its end. As GBMJ said, he rarely looked out into the crowd, partially because I believe the intensity at which he plays and sings just didn't allow for it. It seemed as though Jack was a bit angry or upset at how the concert was going. Several times during the show, mistakes were made during certain songs. Allison started singing at the wrong time for "Die By the Drop", guitar mistakes were made during "No Horse" and Jack's drum kit seemed to be having problems. His stage crew came out several times to fix his cymbals after they had fallen. I also noticed that during "Treat Me Like Your Mother", it seemed as though Jack's mic went out during the last part of the song. Instead of throwing his drum sticks into the crowd, he threw them down to the floor in what looked like to be a fit of anger. For "Will There Be Enough Water?", his solo was definitely not as passionate or erratic as it had been during the 9:30 Club show. He also barely flashed a smile when the band went up on stage to take their final bow for the night.

I know that it might have been asking for too much, but the show definitely seemed short. I was really looking forward to hearing "I Can't Hear You" ( :P ), "Forever My Queen", and I even had my fingers crossed for "Bone House" (a song I haven't heard them play since the July 09' DC show), all of which they didn't play.

This show was truly amazing and I'm so thankful to Kali, everyone I met, TDW for putting on a great show, and for TMR for allowing early entry for fans. I can't wait to see you all at the next concert :D! I'll post some of the pictures I captured once I figure out how to resize them!

Edited by Joe333, 09 August 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#45 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hey Joe, I've been hoping you'd show up here! If you have any issues re-sizing your photos, let me know and I'll see if I can help. The weird effects on some of your shots are so cool, I think folks here would get a kick out of seeing them.

#46 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

Got some YouTube videos donated! Mr martindd23 from YouTube was kind enough to send me sendspace links to all the video and pictures that were taken from this show - not a complete performance but good quality video from YouTube if you are wondering what it looks like check it out on YouTube - super huge thanks to martindd23 for the wonderful footage :wub:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w941zx
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6x06i
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mjbefz
http://www.sendspace.com/file/640chk
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h4nogc
http://www.sendspace.com/file/twcwq6

#47 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Looks like I'm gonna be doing some downloading tonight ;)

Thank you, martindd23 and Uncle Jerk!

#48 gromit

gromit

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

thank you both martindd23 and Uncle Jerk!! you guys made my day :wub:

#49 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells