14 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc., in this thread only please. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

#2 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Set list:

Forever My Queen
Sixty Feet Tall
Hang You From The Heavens
You Just Can't Win
So Far From Your Weapon
I Cut Like A Buffalo
No Horse
The Difference Between Us
I'm Mad
Bone House
Hustle and Cuss
Die By The Drop
Rocking Horse
New Pony
Will There Be Enough Water

Encore:
Blue Blood Blues
Jawbreaker
I Can't Hear You
Treat Me Like Your Mother

I got some decent pictures which I will post along with a review after I get some sleep. Short story is great show, great sound, no cussing, a little shoving, and a little snuggling.

#3 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Time to get up and share Posted Image

#4 whic

whic

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

very fun show. fun venue. fun crowd... for the most part. people trying to take video on their phones/digi cams/ipods from the front row got old quick though. seeing "will there be enough water" live was mind blowing.

#5 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

I haven't been asleep all this time, just doing more sightseeing in Montana. I've never been before and it's so beautiful! However, why don't they remove the dead deer people hit with their cars? Never seen so many bloody rotting carcasses on the side of the road. Anyway I slept a bit then continued sightseeing (Little Bighorn Battlefield) and was going to get this posted at a decent hour, but after stopping at four motels only to find out they had no rooms (who knew Yellowstone was so popular) I got my shit together and here's my admittedly fan-girly take on the show:

I got early entry which was fortunate as I arrived in Billings at 6pm after stopping at every historical marker and funky little town along I-90. Doors opened at 7pm but I was already up front thanks to the early entry fairy. There was no barrier, we stood right against the stage with a bonus foot rail to rest your weary dogs on and brace yourself against the folks trying to edge you out of your spot. A few twits in the crowd. While we waited for Harlem to kick things off a kid got thrown out for fighting and an obnoxious dude with a mohawk kept knocking into people and screaming "Rock and Roll!" at the top of his lungs. I was losing my hearing before the concert started thanks to that ass.

Harlem was fun, like they were in San Diego. Too bad LA and SF couldn't see them at their perky Ramones/Buzzcocks/Jonathan Richman/Duran Duran best. Favorite songs are Heartbroken Tonight and I'm a Bug. The usual ceremonial placing of the Horned Beasts and unveiling of The Drum Kit commenced. Jackie and the Kidz came on all smiley after a short wait. The Babcock must have great acoustics. I heard everything as clear as a bell, even Jack's rambling which I almost never understand. All songs came off without a hitch.

I reviewed my (shakey and nearly unreadable) notes and for some reason I wrote "drum in SFFYW." What was special about the drums in SFFYW I'll never be able to remember. He also introduced it as "So Far From Your Weapon Whatsa Matta Can't Find Your Way Home?" I thought it was hilarious, but then I think his "SFFYW Why don't you go home" intro is funny too.

Cute Moment #1: during Al's sit-down-banging-the-tambourine role in ICLAB, LJ thrashed his way over to her and she snuggled against him.

TBTD/I'm Mad have wormed their way into my soul. Slick pop veering into lunacy and Alison's psycho chuckle makes me a happy woman.

On the 10+ hr drive to Billings, Bone House came up on the mp3 player and I remarked that I was bummed that they had dropped it from the current rotation as it's one of my favorites. When the organ intro started I was thrilled. In my mind, they played it just for me. After Bone House a young woman jumped on stage and gave Alison a hug. I'm sure it was the highlight of her life, but she missed the rest of a really great concert. I'm sure almost giving Alison a hug and getting tossed out were much better.

Next thing that stands out was the audience went wild when they started No Horse. I like the song too but had no idea it was so popular. I was hoping for DBTD to finally equal or exceed it's fabulousness on the album but they still haven't quite got it together live. That rolling drum and bass race to the finish never quite pulled together. Jack threw in some ad lib beats to funk things up. Dean had a guitar god moment during New Pony. Some girls had been squealing and reaching out to him the whole show and he stood right in front of them and thrust his guitar toward them and they got to touch his instrument. More squealing ensued.

WTBEW was wonderful, as it ever is. The longing in the lyrics physically expressed with the almost-kissing and Alison stroking the mic stand like it was something else moves me. Ear bleeding soloing from Mr. White and onto the encore. BBB=fantastico, I love that song so much I could marry it. Jawbreaker! Another one I had been missing! Wheeee!

For those following the ICHY soap opera, this installment had Alison rubbing her head against Jack's shoulder then going for his armpit. Was she going to tickle him? Cop a feel? We'll never know because Jack gently nudged her away. More of the cute with Jack leaning into Al and resting his head on hers.

TMLYM closed the show. Appropriate crowd participation etc. In the San Diego show, Alison played with the lyrics and sang "Stand up like a fucking man - Treat me like your mother." Tonight in the verse: Come on look me in the eye -You wanna try to tell a lie-Iíll bet you canít and you know why? -Iím just like your mother, she changed the last line to "I'm just like your fucking mother." Jack throws in extra fills and Alison plays with the lyrics. I love it when a band changes things up. It keeps things fresh so someone who's seen them a few times this year and listened to more than a few boots of their shows stays interested. Bless them. Nice poster from Silent Giants. Black and silver (mostly black) with a demonic motorcycle and it's rider escaping an industrial wasteland followed by a flock of crows. Numbered as well!

Randomness: Anyone ever noticed Dean mouths the words to the songs? Seeing him singing "You're so nasty you're so bad," was, uh, nice. Things thrown on stage: baseball cap, beer can, red push-up bra (landed on Alison's head), knit hat, and a t-shirt. Jack likes Montana, he said "You have a beautiful state, please take care of it."

Some photies I took:

The Sam Kay drum skin:
Posted Image

Alison up a monitor tower:
Posted Image
If she knew how much this made me fret she'd still do it, but at least she'd know she was making me nervous

Mr. Guitar God:
Posted Image

Taking their bows:
Posted Image

Haven't taken a photo of the poster yet. It's dark dark dark. Don't think my usual lay it down on the hotel room floor and weigh the corners down with beer bottles method of poster photographing will work. I'll try when I get home and can stick in on a wall. Guess what! It's bed-time again!

#6 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Thanks !! that was a great review... ICHY soap opera :lol:. BBB really is good enough to marry,:wub:. I love no horse too. besides the music being good its fun to watch.
and yeah I noticed sometimes Dean mouths the lyrics to songs, and sometimes Jack does, haven't noticed L.J. doing it yet.

Thanks for the photo's

sweet dreams!

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,712 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

I love it when a band changes things up. It keeps things fresh so someone who's seen them a few times this year and listened to more than a few boots of their shows stays interested. Bless them.

This. It's good for the band and it's good for us.

Excellent review and photos, LOT. Seems as if the only thing missing in all the stuff thrown on stage was a camo hunting jacket. That and a machine gun and the band would've been all set for a DW-style trip to the woods. Sounds like you were in heaven in Montana :D Have a safe trip home.

#8 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

Review from the Billings Gazette: http://billingsgazet...1cc4c002e0.html

Their photos: http://billingsgazet...html?mode=image

#9 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Wow, thanks LOT. Sounds like you had a great time on the road as well as seeing an exceptional show. Hope that your weary pups made it home safely.

#10 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Great review, Lonely Ornate Tear! Makes me wish I had been there...well all the reviews make me wish I'd been there. Glad to hear Harlem were back on form too.

More of the cute with Jack leaning into Al and resting his head on hers.

Jack or Little Jack?

#11 whic

whic

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

yeah i think "ROCKANDROLL" guy was afraid that if he didn't keep reminding the band to "play some rock and roll" they were going to accidentally play polka. the poster is very cool. in my mind, the biker is fleeing a tornado of crows (billings was just hit by a tornado a few weeks ago).

Posted Image

as far as dead deer go, lonely ornate tear, yeah, gross. there are just too many to keep the carcasses off the roads entirely. sadly, it's a symptom of our encroachment on their habitat. glad you liked montana otherwise!

you paid very close attention to the show. thanks for your meticulous notes.

#12 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

thanks for the pic of the drum head, nice close up :D

#13 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Great review, Lonely Ornate Tear! Makes me wish I had been there...well all the reviews make me wish I'd been there. Glad to hear Harlem were back on form too.

Jack or Little Jack?

That would have been Jack having a cuddle during ICHY. LJ got his cuddle earlier during ICLAB.

Re: the dead deer situation: I figured it was overpopulation. Pants-wetting road moment - a big doe standing next to a deer crossing sign. I prayed and begged and plead for her to NOT try to cross, I never would have stopped in time. We would have been toast.

Dead Weather Polka (sung to the tune roll out the barrel) Roll out the bone house, we'll have a bucket of bones! Very doomy and yet polkariffic.

Edited by LonelyOrnateTear, 28 July 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#14 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

Excellent review LOT, thanks! I felt the same way about Bone House and was stoked when they started to play it the other night. I was also excited to hear Gasoline live for the first time. I also noticed how Dean mouths the lyrics sometimes too. It's great being up front with no barrier to catch all the little things like that. Like when L.J. is rocking out on a particularly funky bassline, his glasses are shaking and look like they're gonna fall off. lol

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,712 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Man, I envy you all having a barrier-less show...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users