90 replies to this topic

#1 mylittlecreamsoda

mylittlecreamsoda

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

i love finding music for people that i know they'll like. it makes everyone happy, and we both can usually get a different take on something from it. i haven't seen anything like this on here before so maybe people can use it.

recommend music you like here. it doesn't have to be some obscure band you heard of once so you can add up your credibility points (though that works too i guess). but i mean like i had known of the flaming lips for years but never gave them a chance (and probably never would have) until last year when a friend of mine finally sold me on them. it doesn't have to be new either, just whatever you feel like people need to hear.

also, if you're looking for something new, post what you think you might be looking for, and maybe somebody will already know of a band or an album that's exactly what you're looking for.

lately i've been listening to a lot of beirut. he may not be making perfectly authentic eastern european ballads, but there's something about his music that draws you in in a way that's almost like the way you feel listening to stories as a kid. i've been getting into leadbelly the last couple weeks too.

*edit: i'm not looking so much for namedropping as much as why you'd recommend something. and if you can, try and say something more than just "because they sound like whatever band". especially when you're looking for something totally new, it's a lot easier to get into it if you know why they're worth getting into.

Edited by mylittlecreamsoda, 09 February 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#2 Dusty Grooves

Dusty Grooves

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

one band i always heard and seen alot about but never gave the time a day was the Misfits. i always thought they were a metal band till a couple years ago. Come to find out theyre a great punk band. Just make sure you check them out with the original lineup with Danzing.

#3 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Danzig!

I think today i'd like to recommend for everyone to download and listen to Songs of Faith and Devotion by Depeche Mode.

#4 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

that is a good album....it's like an album full of A-side singles.

#5 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think if i hadn't ever heard the album, i'd come to regret it at the moment of my death at the latest. Think about it, kids.

#6 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

stuff like bat for lashes please? or "white chalk" pj harvey?

#7 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Recommendations are extremely hit and miss, because it depends not only on the tastes of the person you're talking to, but even the phase they're in. Bands and types of music are like food ... some are staples, and some taste delicious when your body needs whatever nutrients it has, but don't taste as good when you don't need that particular nutrient anymore ... so I'm not going to put a lot of time into saying why I recommend these bands, because a) in a year, I'll recommend different stuff, b ) it might leave you cold no matter how many words I put into the blurbs. That said, here's what I'm the most into right now.

The Stooges, especially Fun House. This is the greatest visceral rock album ever. I say that without hesitation. It was released in 1970, but it would sound fresh if it was released today. It had untold influence in punk and alternative rock, but nevermind that ... it's just an unbelievably fun album. To a lesser degree, so are the self-titled debut and Raw Power.

Howlin' Wolf, the Chess 50th anniversary greatest hits is a good starting point. This is the stage in rock's evolution between acoustic delta blues performed by one guy with a guitar, and four- and five-piece rock bands in the 60s and 70s. What Wolf was doing in the 50s, rock musicians didn't do until years later, and most of them didn't do it as well. This isn't Chubby Checker singing about finding his thrill, this is mature, introspective, powerful blues with one of the most distinctive voices in the 20th century, and excellent musicianship.

T. Bone Burnett, True False Identity - I think the lyrics are a bit weak in places, but this album has a great gothic/alt-country or alt-rock sound.

Tommy Johnson 1928-1929 - Robert Johnson is more famous now, but Tommy was just as distinctive, and this recording is pretty clear for the era. This is true acoustic blues, you'll turn it off immediately if you aren't prepared for that. Some of the songs are hearbreaking, including Canned Heat Blues.

And I'd always recommend The Soft Bulletin and (slightly lesser extent) Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots for anyone who hasn't gotten into them yet. Soft Bulletin is an end to end masterpiece and a triumph of studio wizardry. Yoshimi is similar but not quite as.

Edited by Squiggy, 09 February 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#8 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

I love the idea of this thread - there should be a catch-all "music I really think people should hear" thread.

This is some music I recommend.

THE THERMALS - THE BODY, THE BLOOD, THE MACHINE

The Thermals are one-trick ponies. Punk-pop. That's what they do. But they do it really well. Probably their best album is The Body The Blood The Machine, but Fuckin' A is also great and the debut, More Parts Per Million, is great if you like it raw and lo-fi.

If you're thinking, man I used to like Green Day but they've got kinda boring recently, try The Thermals.

THE WALKMEN - YOU & ME

Just an amazing album, a really loose, live feel, gorgeous guitar / drums / percussion sound...amazing. People know Bows and Arrows better it seems but I prefer this. One of those albums where the band finds a sound that works and keeps to it. Not convinced? Listen to "On The Water" HERE or "New Year" HERE.

More soon. Keep them coming!

#9 The Contrarian

The Contrarian

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

Blind Pilot

Two guys playing the best folk/pop you've ever heard. Just acoustic guitar and brushed drums. The melodies are beautiful, the lyrics are genious, the overall feeling in the music is incredible. This is the one of the only bands that will actually make me really feel the music.

check 'em out guys.

#10 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

http://www.amoeba.co...04_dead-weather

#11 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

I would totally smack you if you were next to me right now.

#12 mylittlecreamsoda

mylittlecreamsoda

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

that's pretty much dead-on about the thermals. as well as howlin' wolf. i'm really curious about t bone burnett, tommy johnson, and the walkmen now too. i'm going to have to check out blind pilot as well.

today i say early modest mouse if you haven't listened to the older stuff yet. not that they've been bad from float on until now, but my god could they put out some incredible music before:

this is a long drive...: underrated album but i can understand why. sometimes even i think it drones on a little bit, but when you can deal with that, it has some absolutely beautiful moments (custom concern, novocain stain), some bitter (head south, tundra/desert), some interesting (she ionizes & atomizes, dog paddle), and it's got fuckin dramamine on it. well worth a listen

the lonesome crowded west: easily in my top 5, maybe even top 3, for my favorite album of all time. if you're going to check out one modest mouse album, make it this one. it has absolutely everything, but yet at the same time flows well as an album. isaac's lyrically at his best here, it's also their most raw (in feel not talent-wise, just listen to "teeth like god's shoeshine build up, explode, die down and crawl then explode again). this takes you on one hell of a ride.

the moon and antarctica everyone else's favorite apparently, it is a fantastic album, and it deserves just about all of the praise it's gotten over the years. the music here is more planned out, composed and controlled than any of their earlier stuff, which is more bled out than anything. this isn't a bad thing at all, it sets up an incredible atmosphere that holds incredibly well throughout the entire thing. alone down there/the stars are projectors are 11 of the best minutes of music in the last decade. again not to rip on the new stuff too much because it is very very good, but the last four songs here (i came as a rat - what people are made of) is the last confirmed appearance of some of that old edge they had.

*edit: if you like any of this than you should really check out ugly casanova. they sound kind of like a stripped-down version of modest mouse and they had one hell of a made-up backstory here.

Edited by mylittlecreamsoda, 10 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#13 The Contrarian

The Contrarian

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

who are you gonna smack Twitch? me or wewil?

#14 JackFlash

JackFlash

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

If you don't get into Drive-By Truckers you are only hurting yourself.

#15 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

But it Hurts so good.

#16 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

who are you gonna smack Twitch? me or wewil?

wewil....and not in a malicious way, but in a smiling shut the fuck up way you do with your friends when they throw out dumb suggestions.

#17 Jami3

Jami3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

I recommend Charlotte Gainsbourg's new album that she made with Beck. It's really, really good. Greenwich Mean Time is probably my favourite song so far this year.

#18 AnonymousBrunette

AnonymousBrunette

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

If you are a fan of Cold War Kids you might like one of my favorite bands, Delta Spirit. Check 'em out.

#19 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

I will! I bloody LOVED the first CWK album (most underrated album of the last decade?), although the second sank without trace.

#20 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

mylittlecreamsoda - thanks for reminding me that I need to update my Modest Mouse collection. The only album of theirs I had in my iTunes library before this thread was Good News For People Who Love Bad News. I used to own a physical copy of The Moon and Antarctica but lost it at some point and did not have it digitally. I bought/downloaded it yesterday and spent an hour or so enjoying it last night during breaks in snow shoveling. I've never had The Lonesome Crowded West but will probably pick that up this evening.

Edited by Squiggy, 11 February 2010 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users