49 replies to this topic

#21 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

kevin!! i've become addicted the The Moth, it is fantastic.

http://www.prx.org/themoth

#22 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

KEVIN!!!!

TIMMMMM!!!!! tim, i think you should get your arse out of school the next time they come to detroit and go. GO!!!!

edit.

http://www.themoth.org/events/

nov. 30 in chicago
dec. 2 in detroit
dec. 28 in chicago

edit again. new yorkers, you should get yourselves to the slams in town. maya, roxxy, billy, eric, absolute sp, all of you bastards!

Edited by lindapoirier, 18 November 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#23 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

FINE! ignore me. i don't care. but i have to tell you that while listening to this american life today i found out about this.

http://store.thisame...Code=posterxmen

fuck me!!!! so awesome. of course i ordered one. i stole my bee buddy's address and used it to order. they don't ship outside the USA. i don't know if it will work because i used my billing address with the state and american zip code. hahahhaaaa! i don't know if my visa will pick it up and decline the effort but i HAVE to have this poster.

edit!!!

wolverine listens to this american life. fuck, i love him!!!!!!

Edited by lindapoirier, 03 December 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#24 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Haha. That's pretty cool!

I've listened to the Moth podcasts in the past, but since I moved into the city, I don't have a very long commute so I don't have time to listen anymore. Someday I'll get to one of the slams. There are so many things to do in the city, but I'm left studying and working or vegging out if I have nothing on my plate. I can't wait to be at a point where I live in the city and can go out every night if I want! Years away.

#25 whic

whic

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

john hodgman has a new podcast, called judge john hodgman, in which john hodgman plays judge to people's arguments. it's pretty great.

#26 orangeshoeskid

orangeshoeskid

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

Just saw this thread and I love Radiolab, Stuff You Should Know, NPR, This American Life, all of it. Unfortunately, I have such a short commute to work and don't have much time to listen to the radio or podcasts, so my podcast listening is saved for road trips. I've had quite a few road trips where I listen to 8-10 straight hours of podcasts.

#27 Flizzzipper

Flizzzipper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

Yea, my commute is about ten minutes now. I used to have an hour a day commute total so I could listen to a podcast or two. I've had to cut back on a couple. First thing I do when I get home is fire one up and listen to it while I do some of my routine stuff at home. Podcasts really help with those long road trips too. You are listening to something you enjoy with no commercial breaks. Podcasts are going to finish off radio one day.

#28 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe has made me obsessed with science.
Dan Carling's Hardcore History has made me obsessed with history.
The Complete Guide to Everything has made me obsessed with drinking beer and rambling.

I could go on.

angels vs aliens

glad to find this thread... maybe a little late given that i started another thread in rant and rave about alt tech ideas as we might need them from time to time in the future

i promise to share my programs here from the youtube channels that i watch and learn from

here is one thing i think is pretty cool/funny/useful

#29 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

mofos!!! i never showed you my poster. i am soooo getting this framed. i fucking adore it. i would give up a dimension to slip in there with those beautiful x-men!!!!! pulling ira through with me, of course. give up your 3-dimensional world ira and share the road and travels of the x-men with me???!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

also, for tim or anyone who would want to enter a short.

http://www.symphonys...writing_contest

awww shit. entries by march 1. fuck! i'm sorry. i thought, when i heard it on the radio, for some reason that there was more time. sorry. anyway, they do it every year. you MUST enter!

Edited by lindapoirier, 02 March 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#31 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Its pretty awesome that Jack now has his own Audio Documentary Series running with NPR... the press coverage has been a bit of a whirlwind smattering ever since the official White Stripes demise occurred

I like what the guy at Consequences of Sound had to say the most out of all the stuff i have read...

After The White Stripes decided to call it a day, Jack White later went on to say he wouldn’t be joining any new bands. But while most of us are getting caught up in the drama of life post-White Stripes, Mr. White himself is just doing what he does best: working on the most random projects imaginable. So, to better understand the man behind Third Man Records and three wildly popular rock bands, NPR is beginning a weekly series of interviews with White called The Flipside.

With the series, the public broadcasting giant hopes to highlight a few things that fans may not have been aware of in regards to their savior. In this week’s edition, along with the mention that he’d be restarting his Third Man Upholstery business he ran before he was famous, the charismatic frontman talked a whole lot about his recent 45 with auctioneer Jerry King. Head here to listen to the interview and to check out a transcript. reporting by chris coplan

For now it seems that NPR is keeping their own little file on Jack and you can visit it here: http://www.npr.org/a...9122/jack-white

If you wanna follow the Flipside Series with Jack on All Songs Considered then head over to their blog

congrats jack... we always knew you had it in you to share more than your own gifted nature

#32 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Y'all built yer stills yet?? just droppin this here for safe keepin...

#33 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:32 AM

well fuck me. that is great. npr and jack. almost as good as ira and wolverine.

#34 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

I have to add that I fucking love The Complete Guide To Everything....best podcast I've heard in a while.

#35 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Maybe what i love about the audio documentary is that it serves as the ultimate archival tool for creative inspiration... Check out this set of audio documents which explore a very prolific drum break in modern music

apparently it is used in Hip Hop as well as Polka... who knew???

Here is the actual documentary which explains this sample

#36 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

this looks really really good: http://www.sciencefr...hives/201104085

Connecting Science and Art
Science and art often seem to develop in separate silos, but many thinkers are inspired by both. Novelist Cormac McCarthy, filmmaker Werner Herzog, and physicist Lawrence Krauss discuss science as inspiration for art and Herzog’s new film on the earliest known cave paintings.

science friday on npr

#37 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

this has been a pretty exciting find...

the story of the Radiophonic Workshop... BBC

enjoy it to your hearts desire

Edited by thee radical eclectic, 11 May 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#38 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

http://hearingvoices...isoner-of-zion/

#39 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

tim, you must listen to scott carrier. he is amazing.

#40 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

http://hearingvoices...isoner-of-zion/

that was a great listen... couldnt help but think of the people who died during the civil war when they talked about the dead at the fortress... it really is a civil war that Afghanistan is experiencing but the nature of that civil war is based purely out of access to resources and the education to apply the resources such as in water management or modern social custom such as birth control

the violence towards women in that culture truly extends from old customs which are bound to the harsh landscape there which has built up the value of religious morals for social acceptance as thought it were a 'fortress of spirit' which must be maintained... these people really are prisoners of zion who would benefit by the power of ethics ruling them as opposed to blind morals

the tricky part of fundamentalist religion is that it dovetails so nicely with corporate values of market management and impulsive choices that deaden commercial investment as well as objectify the diversity models of lifestyle exploration as commodity developers ... a magazine like Ready-Made or Mother Jones could have field days doing Afghanistani-centric issues if it werent an issue of getting shot while trying to develop lo-fi options and grassroots markets that met peoples needs again

my point here... there are too many guns in a nation of need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users