151 replies to this topic

#41 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

ha, they came out to Sho Nuff 'n Yes I Do. Nice!

the show was awesome. dean has an amazing guitar tone.

On "Hang You Up" it sounds QOTSA-esque. I know he only toured with them and wasn't a full time member, but maybe some things stuck with him.

Edited by C.F.K., 15 April 2009 - 02:27 AM.

#42 Sweet Rita

Sweet Rita

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:15 AM

Pics and review from Brooklyn Vegan

#43 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

I only watched The Hang You.. video and the opening track, don't want to ruiin the album like I did to everything post GBMS, but it sounded great, and Alison was fantastic.

#44 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

From the video and everything I have watched so far it looks like they put on a pretty amazing show. I remember thinking the same thing abut Jack and Allison in Nashville they were really close on the mic. Congrats to all that saw the opening concert. Looking forward to seeing them again this summer.

#45 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

wow wow wow!!!!!!! Sounds like it was a great show and thank-you all for all of the pic and vid links :) .

Alison rocks and I'm really glad to hear that she put on a great show. She just winds up and goes. I can't wait to see the Kills now and lets all hope for a decent bunch of tour dates from this band. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed as Uncle Dave would say. ;)

#46 destijl33

destijl33

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

http://www.themodern...y-ballroom-414/

awesome review....

#47 TwoCrookedFingers

TwoCrookedFingers

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Sounds awesome you guys. Some great accounts of the evening and ace photos too.

Re: the whole sexy Alison/Jack thing. I've seen The Kills twice and both times Alison and Jamie were very intense/sexy/seemingly intimate on stage too - she's quite spellbinding to watch.

Looking forward to reading more later...

#48 JackFlash

JackFlash

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

Sigh... sounds like a great show. If only I was there.

#49 Mike53421

Mike53421

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

I only watched The Hang You.. video and the opening track, don't want to ruiin the album like I did to everything post GBMS, but it sounded great, and Alison was fantastic.

I'm trying to avoid the other videos as well, which one was "Hang You..."? Sounds like a great show, looking forward to a potential Toronto date somewhere in the future.

Edited by Mike53421, 15 April 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#50 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I'm trying to avoid the other videos as well, which one was "Hang You..."? Sounds like a great show, looking forward to a potential Toronto date somewhere in the future.

the youtube link is hang you from the heavens. this one:

#51 7nationsoldier3

7nationsoldier3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

damn, and of course they wont come to new orleans....no one ever does....*sigh*

#52 Mike53421

Mike53421

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

the youtube link is hang you from the heavens. this one:

Thank you, Mr. Poop.

#53 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

I'm very impressed with Dean during that first song. The guy can really play!

#54 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

I'm very impressed with Dean during that first song. The guy can really play!

i thought the same thing. love the tone and that quiet little riff he plays throughout. great opening track, i can't wait to hear it on the album to hear the bass a little better.

#55 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

aw man, sounds like it was a good time! :)

and gah! this is adorable!
Posted Image

Edited by roxxan23, 15 April 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#56 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

looks like they've got the set list up at s/t:

60 Feet Tall
Unknown Song
Treat Me Like Your Mother
Bone House
So Far From Your Weapon
No Hassle Night
I Cut Like a Buffalo
Rocking Horse
Will There Be Enough Water

Encore:
Hang You From the Heavens
New Pony (Bob Dylan cover)

http://www.self-titl...room/#more-2209

edit: also, they have a pretty good review of some of the standout tracks

-The secret weapon status of Dean Fertita. While he’s arguably the Dead-Weather-member-no-one-recognizes, Fertita smeared many of the band’s songs in his sinewy smoke ring riffs, warm organ rolls and synth stabs that’d make Justice jealous.

-Forget “Hang You From the Heavens”—Horehound’s dirt-caked debut single—for a second. “Treat Me Like Your Mother” is the album’s true standout, a rollicking bar brawl of a song complete with gnarled keys, the trademark cock tease vocals of Alison Mosshart, and a couple climatic passages that’ll make you want to throw whatever’s closest to you out the window. Here’s hoping this one becomes Single No. 2, as pressed in a 500-copy 7-inch run by White’s Third Man Records.

-Not that this comes as a complete surprise, but seeing White & Mosshart in such a small venue was a glaring reminder of how they’ve become two of today’s genuine rock gods. While the former practically got a standing ovation every time he dropped his drum kit and grabbed—nay, strangled—a guitar, the latter outmaneuvered her closest contemporary’s feral cat moves (from Sunday night’s Yeah Yeah Yeahs show) with a chain-smoking femme fatale approach that oozed confidence and the kind of sex appeal that dares you to bring her home to mom.

-The consummate professionalism of everyone in this band, as evidenced by how airtight they sounded for a rather flawless 60 minutes. First public performance? Technically, yes, but these guys play like they’ve been figuring it out for the past decade.
“Will There Be Enough Water” will likely be the slow-burning set closer to many a Dead Weather show over the next six months.

-Bob Dylan must be proud of the bruising “New Pony” gets in the Dead Weather’s play pen.

-The taps at Dead Weather shows should be switched from beer to bourbon.

-Can someone please explain what it means to “cut like a buffalo?” Does that mean a barnyard animal with a secret knife collection or something?

-The White Stripes what? The Raconteurs who? And, oh yeah—we’ll be front and center at the Kills‘ show next month.

Edited by PoopsOnLawn, 15 April 2009 - 09:33 AM.

#57 destijl33

destijl33

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

looks like they've got the set list up at s/t:

http://www.self-titl...room/#more-2209

how long was the set?

#58 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

how long was the set?

just under an hour i believe

#59 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

wow - thanks for all reviews and links - now i won't get any work done!!

really looking forward to seeing the Kills on 4/10 - an of course keeping my fingers crossed that the Dead Weather will play DC/Baltimore...

#60 vickdang

vickdang

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I had such a great time!!! But so much of it is a blur. Drank a little too much, subway ride back home was not fun AT ALL, sorry fellow MTA riders... So my summary is basically going to restate what many of the other reviewers have already said. The music was some of the sexiest rock and roll I've ever heard live. The music is loud, soundtrack-y, moody, dramatic and is full of heavy rock blues riffs, big organs, great build-ups and dramatic pauses. I can see why many reviewers would compare their sound to bands like zeppelin. I was going to the concert hoping to take down notes on every song, but the show was just so damn captivating.

The performance all around was solid from start to finish. They were so comfortable as a band, in fact they seemed like they'd been playing shows together for the last month. I figured there were going to be some kinks they had to work out, but they were so confident in what they were doing and the music was so exciting, that if there were "mistakes"/kinks I didn't notice them and it didn't matter.

Alison is now officially one of my favorite live singers/performers. She obviously has a "sexy and sultry" voice, but I had never seen her live before... She has so much charisma, energy and coolness..it's kinda ridiculous. Not many people can pull off the "cool" act she puts on, but you don't second guess her for second and can back it all up with her incredible vocal performance.

Jack is huge on the drums. He has a classy, slick style and loves his big cymbals. No unnecessary, tasteless fills or solos...any time he was highlighted on percussion, it fit, drove and complimented the songs.

Random Memories-
60 Ft. Tall
- I'm sure you guys have already seen the live video of this, opens slow and dramatic, with a badass riff....then explodes with a great solo by Dean (who the entire night was incredible).

Cut like a BUffalo
- Lyric: You know I look(live?) like a woman, but I cut like a Buffalo. Honestly I couldn't make out most of these lyrics last night (it was so loud where I was standing). It's only today, watching the videos that much of it makes sense. hehe
-pumping organ, bluesy, Jack white talk/sing style from songs like "Denial Twist, icky thump", can't wait to hear this on the album.

Treat Me Like Your Mother- Fast, sexy, heavy...oedipal.........it was awesome. Haven't found a video online yet to refresh my memory. I just remember loving it.

They didn't do "Are Friends Electric", a little bummed by that.
Devandra Berhhardt and Nick Zinner were on the balcony and bobbing their heads all night
During the Jack/alison duet (Will there be enough water), they were basically making out...I'm jealous of that microphone.

Overall, a great show and just more proof that whatever Jack produces, writes or works on is interesting, engaging, exciting, well written, well performed and so much fun!

Edited by vickdang, 15 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users