1331 replies to this topic

#1101 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

This reference to the Dead Weather (and the Stripes, to boot) gave me a chuckle-- http://www.ninersnat...rs-front-office The things with which people associate song lyrics never cease to be fascinating ;)

as far as the white stripes reference, that guy is tasteless, cretinous boor

edited for new page lack of referenceness

Edited by macwacky, 23 August 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#1102 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

"I LUV U!!!!!1 <3!111."

I find it really disheartening when a "professional" writer uses that type of "language."

#1103 RobWhite

RobWhite

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Looook, a whole Dead Weather set is on youtube! It's from some concert in Montreux from July 2010.

This is the first song, the rest is on youtube!

Edited by RobWhite, 25 August 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#1104 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

thanks for the heads up, her voice sounds great

#1105 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

this is must have been worth every challenge to get right up front... anyone go to this show?

#1106 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

as far as the white stripes reference, that guy is tasteless, cretinous boor

edited for new page lack of referenceness

As well as the Meg thing, did he just wonder if a black guy with a Nigerian name/ancestry was "a secret cannibal"? What century is he from? Jesus J Christ on a Segway...

#1107 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

is this a b-side?

#1108 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

the live show at the Roxy is filmed with such precision and expertise that i have to ask if anyone knows who produced it

you can see the fans clearly and the details of Dean's work as well as getting some seriously unique Jack footage

#1109 whitesummerhotel

whitesummerhotel

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

is this a b-side?

It was a Vault only release, Forever My Queen/Outside 7"

#1110 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

The best thing the Dead Weather have done.

#1111 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,820 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

The best thing the Dead Weather have done.

Jack's scary in a damned good way at the end of that performance and I truly do love that song, but I'd still debate that it's the best thing they've done. Don't forget about this--

#1112 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

thank you for sharing those...

#1113 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

No Hassle Night is often a dirge, though. That was a particularly fiery one. My favorite is Bone House. I hear the song as if from a black-hearted, dark-side obsessed witch carrying a powerful man's child for some nefarious purpose, like a twisted Bene Gesserit. She's gloating over the baby she's making, "I build a road for your mind...I put your heart in a vault...I build a house for your bones...I build a bone house."

Turning a phrase around like "house for your bones - a bone house" so that it means two different things seems to be an Alison specialty. I wish I had the knack myself.

They did a similar thing with it to the NHN/IJWMLTY above when I saw them in LA, but the jam didn't go as far and anyway, my cellphone video of it is terrrible.

edit: apparently I don't know how to post a video. Sorry.

Edited by Elixir_Sue, 28 August 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#1114 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

all of that is your comment isnt it?? i had a little confusion at first relative to the size of the text... really well timed post though... and seriously interesting commentary too

#1115 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Yes, it was my comment. Not only do I not know how to post a video, I apparently can't do so without changing the size of the text. And thanks! :)

#1116 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

that's a very interesting perspective, Elixir- I like it!
last fall/winter I was extremely preoccupied with this song & started researching the concept of "bone houses". here are some of the best examples I've found, http://www.panoramio.../photo/45259040, from the Istre Cemetery in Morse, LA. See also, http://www.katc.com/...e-house-legends. although there is some speculation as to why these 'houses' came about and, also, why the practice of building them died out, it appears families usually got to work building the house right around the time of their relatives death, as a shelter for the 'bones' (shelter from 'dead weather'?)
personally I've always thought of 'Bone House' as a twisted view of marriage/relationships, or kind of along the lines of "you've got her in your pocket"

#1117 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

i really think its interesting that someone started a series of 'houses' in our public park last year that looked a lot like bone houses ... they looked like this

Posted Image

the bone house is really a way of understanding the intimate nature of the soul and where it lives as a place that is retaining things that should not be scavenged by wild animals or tilled under in the rush to make more and build more with no respect to our ancestors intentions .... some cultures believe that it takes time for the soul to make sense of things and choose its path from there

vietnam had a big problem with the lack of proper housing for all its dead as bones ... the lyrics of the song and the mind of the will

Posted Image
this is a building by Gaudi who builds many structures which are biomorphic and bone like

not sure i even want to fully get into the psychology of those 5 dead fred heads batting those ideas around

Edited by thee radical eclectic, 28 August 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#1118 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

ymagirl, those bone houses are great! I've never really thought of a place built for one set of bones to play cards and drink coffee. I've seen mausoleums, and I've seen the thousand year bone piles that monks build, like this one. You've opened something up for me.

#1119 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Generally i think the idea is that there are some people who need a place to hold onto things and those people create an atmosphere of control derived from the ambition to lock in meaningful commitments that stifle a free soul.... the bone house is the sort of offering made to spirits that are not going anywhere or choosing to leave the material world of belongings and defined self

but thats mostly a spiritual notion associated with social constructs that rely on accountable predictability

#1120 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,820 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:31 AM

&quot;Poor man's mausoleum&quot; was the first thing I thought on seeing that. They are indeed very cool, though I don't quite understand why the folks making that documentary felt there was a question that needed to be answered. Seems self-explanatory to me.

Saw this on a travelogue show recently and it looks to be just as amazing as the Catacombs of Paris-- http://www.artgraphi...bone-church.htm

A bone house devoted to prayer.

Edited by Kali Durga, 29 August 2011 - 06:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users