192 replies to this topic

#1 lynntou

lynntou

Porch Ghoul

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Leaving at 5:30... see y'all there. I'm paranoid that I'll lose or forget my tickets, but lo and behold, they're right where I left them.

Edited by C.F.K., 05 June 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#3 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Have a great show Toronto!

#4 Rag & Bone

Rag & Bone

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:36 PM

Oh my god.
That was fucking amazing.

I'll tell you what I can remember now:
Crowd A Little rowdy
Guy jumped on stage, security guy caught him at the last second, Brendan laughed.
Boys all smiles tonight.
Jack sang some lyrics from somthing i've never heard at the beggining of Blue Veins
They played Intimate Secratary!
The Sadies were alot better than I expected.

#5 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, the Sadies were good. They played a little too long, but they were still good.

Good show by the Raconteurs. First time I've seen them properly. I was glad that they played a bunch of songs from the old album. Broken By Soldier would've been perfect if Jack did the vocals on one of those scratchy mics. They also played a song I've never heard before. Something about "Drink a Coca-Cola, something something lemon soda, something something soaked in water/vodka."

Also, no Stylophones, haha. The tall merch guy, who made himself sound pretty important, said they didn't want to risk bringing too many across the border, and they sold them all in Montreal. But next week they'll be for sale on the site. Or so he said. And if Angie is reading this: yes, I got your poster. It was in a cardboard tube which I kept inside my pant leg the whole night. The A/C was pretty good in there so I don't think I sweated enough to get through the cardboard, haha.

#6 Princess_kobe

Princess_kobe

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

They also played a song I've never heard before. Something about "Drink a Coca-Cola, something something lemon soda, something something soaked in water/vodka."

It's called "Keep It Clean" a cover by Charley Jordan....

#7 Kaseyls

Kaseyls

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, the Sadies were good. They played a little too long, but they were still good.

Good show by the Raconteurs. First time I've seen them properly. I was glad that they played a bunch of songs from the old album. Broken By Soldier would've been perfect if Jack did the vocals on one of those scratchy mics. They also played a song I've never heard before. Something about "Drink a Coca-Cola, something something lemon soda, something something soaked in water/vodka."

That's Keep It Clean (my new favorite song). There's a thread on it in the Raconteurs general forum.

#8 Jackie_White

Jackie_White

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

Great performance. Horrible crowd. I'm covered in other people's beer and water and God knows what else. This show isn't in my top 5 all time concerts because the crowd was so annoying. I'm glad that one dude who kept crowd surfing fell on his stupid face a couple times. You could so tell Brendan didn't like it at all. Jack's blue vein tonight was incredible. I loved the delta blues lyrics first.

again..Great performance, horrible crowd.

#9 Ebue

Ebue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Awesome show, I managed to get Jack's towel. Though I'm bummed that the belt buckles went so quickly.

Edited by Ebue, 06 June 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#10 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:04 AM

The show was good though the sound was pretty crappy in the Koolhaus.

I was really disappointed with the crowd. The douchebag factor was high.

My pre-show experience put me in a bad mood for the first part of the show. There was a lot of pushing to get to the front. Some guys started pushing up to the front and ended up behind me (I was reasonably close but not really close). The guys were clearly somewhat drunk or just idiots (possibly the latter) and were just banging around when the Racs hadn't even come on stage yet. The one guy kept pushing into my back HARD pushing me into the people in front of me. And pushing others around, including girls. He was basically leaning on me and kept moving around. Finally I turned around and said "GUYS, FUCK! Stop pushing." At which point he insisted that they weren't pushing (even though earlier they were saying "if we push hard enough we can get to the front"). He said they were "non-violent" but then said that if I hit him he'd destroy me. I told him I had no intention of hitting anyone. After that I hear him telling his buddy behind me something like "man this guy in front wants to take us on and he's only half my size." Then his buddy says to him that the guy in front of him kept pushing him backwards. This guy, however, was only holding his ground trying not to fall over, just like me.

I got out of there at that point as I was worried these guys were seriously going to try and pick a fight with me. And he was right, I am half his size.

After that I escaped backwards a bit and another clan of douchebags came storming through and crashing around like crazy again even before any music started. This one guy was literally shielding his girlfriend so these guys didn't smash into her.

It really put an incredibly sour taste in my mouth in regards to the kind of fans that this band has. Throughout the show there were idiots trying to barge through places without even being polite about it. Then there was crowdsurfing up front of course... a few times it looked like it could have been deadly.

I like dancing at shows, but I don't understand why some people insist on being so incredibly rough at this kind of thing, even before music starts. They insist on being jerks and terrible to fellow fans.

If I ever were to get famous with my band and I see people in the crowd pushing I'd call them out on it and tell them that the band doesn't want their support. I seriously despise these people who ruin others' experiences.

Edited by googolplex, 06 June 2008 - 12:08 AM.

#11 Jackie_White

Jackie_White

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

googolplex I totally agree. I did however manage to get some good people around me. One dude in a white shirt with a red stripe and his girlfriend. This dude next to be who light up like 4 joints. All understood personal space. The kid with the buttons on his hat I tried to elbow in the face because he was being a fag and I hit his hat he was so short.

#12 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

Awesome show, I managed to get Jack's towel. Though I'm bummed that the belt buckles went so quickly.

ahhh, that was you? haha. Nice catch. I was thinking "if I caught it, I wonder if I'd like or dislike the sweaty feel to it...".

Yeah, the crowd got pretty bad at some parts. Luckily I was just on the fringe of the mayhem. If somebody was crowd-surfing over me at a show like this I'd probably just pull them to the floor. I can't be bothered holding some drunk idiot in the air above my head. The only real issue for me was with Fathead in front of me. It's was tight-quarters in there and his fat head was ALWAYS in the way. I'd inch to one side, and he'd swing his head in front of me again. And then I'd feel bad about moving so I could see because most of the people behind me were much shorter than I am.

And once I was there I kind of regretted not heading down early in the day to hang out with the Little Roomers in line. Not for the better spot at the show, but just to hang out. I could have told my friend to drive down by himself after work at 7 o'clock instead of waiting for him and driving his ass there. Hindsight...

#13 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:31 AM

Also, crowd surfing during Old Enough and Carolina Drama. What the hell?!

#14 Amber_|||

Amber_|||

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

kim how was meeting the band?!?!
lucky you!!

waiting for my pics to load on facebook then i'll send a link for everyone...
:D
amazing show!!

p.s. it was great meeting everyone!!!

Edited by Amber_|||, 06 June 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#15 Amber_|||

Amber_|||

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

http://www.facebook....mp;id=503977419

Little Jack waved at me!!! TWICE!!!

#16 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:46 AM

The show was amazing! They sounded great, even Jack sounded amazing despite his story about going to the doctor and that he shouldn't sing. He said, sorry doc, I gotta go to toronto. And he joked that he worried Brendan by telling him that he would have to sing the whole show tonight, doctors orders. Funny. I noticed that Brendan, Jack, and Patrick (and maybe Little Jack, couldn't tell with his shirt and tie) were wearing copper necklaces, which I'm pretty sure selke made, which is pretty freaking awesome. If they are the ones she made I'm sure she'll fill us in on more of the details. Kimberly...?

The band was in really good spirits, and laughing and joking with each other a lot... there was a lot of talking to each other and laughing, and playing back and forth, and they all seemed like they were super happy and were having a blast. It was so much fun to watch.

We were extremely lucky to be right on the rail in front of Little Jack. So we had an amazing view and it was nice and cool temperature-wise, and the douchebag factor was low around me. Got some great pics and video, will post when I have a chance.

It was too bad there were no stylophones, I would have liked one (though someone above said they'll be available on the site?). The merch guy did make himself seem pretty important. Told me that they "couldn't get them across the border".

Set list was staggering, it went something like this (not in order):

Consoler
Switch and the Spur
Hold Up
Intimate Secretary
Broken Boy Soldier
Together
Level
Keep it Clean
Blue Veins (like 10 minutes, with some other verse in the 5 minute intro...sick)
You Don't Understand Me
Old Enough
Top Yourself
Rich Kid Blues
Steady As She Goes

Encore:
Many Shades of Black
Attention
Salute Your Solution
Carolina Drama

Edited by 7th_son, 06 June 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#17 Ebue

Ebue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Brilliant pics, the drunk guy was classic.

#18 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:50 AM

Set list was staggering, it went something like this (not in order):

Consoler
Switch and the Spur
Hold Up
These Stones Will Shout
Intimate Secretary
Broken Boy Soldier
Together
Level
Keep it Clean
Blue Veins (like 10 minutes, with some other verse in the 5 minute intro...sick)
You Don't Understand Me
Old Enough
Top Yourself
Rich Kid Blues
Steady As She Goes

Encore:
Many Shades of Black
Attention
Salute Your Solution
Carolina Drama

Unless I was distracted by douchebags at the time, I'm pretty sure that they didn't play These Stones Will Shout. I think It went You Don't Understand Me -> Intimate Secretary or something else in between. I wish they did play These Stones Will Shout!

#19 Amber_|||

Amber_|||

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

oh jesus, when the drunk guy fell and hit his head.. wow. i will never have that sound removed from my mind.
and wow.. what a show.. what a show :wub:

#20 jimmybob

jimmybob

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:54 AM

oh yes he did. i was right there! awww yeeeeah!! oh thanks for the pics ambies. you rock! not as much as jack tho.

it was amazing except of course for the douche war we had to fight for about a third of the show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users