539 replies to this topic

#421 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Well, I watched The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery and I didn't see anything. Great movie though! There was only one woman main character, Molly McCarthy (pic posted earlier in thread) and it definitely isn't her. No women in hats at all really. One scene with a man behind some bars in the bank near the end, but not the same at all. May be I missed something though.

my god you are wonderfully possessed! i just past that intersection this morning, the bank, the corner looks pretty much the same.

don't quit the task, you are our greatest hope. (perhaps we could hire a bond girl to seduce the poster boy? unless of course he is partial to bond boys.)

#422 selke

selke

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

The NSS numbered posters all have a very steampunk-ish theme running throughout them - just thought I would mention it, as it hasn't been brought up before - with a slightly western twist to it. Might be another something to look at for clues to meaning - the melding of the romantic and technology...

Steampunk Wiki

I have also noticed a few glyphs on some of the posters - on The Great Escape poster, a little arrow type thing - and there are figures along the bottom of the window on the Detroit 08 poster as well. Any ideas of what they coud be? I will continue to look.

And on the Boston poster next to the left side of the skeleton's vertebrae there are two numbers 82 and 95, very small , and RJ on the right hand side. Is that where they were signed and numbered, or is this somehing else?

Edited by selke, 21 June 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#423 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

The NSS numbered posters all have a very steampunk-ish theme running throughout them - just thought I would mention it, as it hasn't been brought up before - with a slightly western twist to it. Might be another something to look at for clues to meaning - the melding of the romantic and technology...

Steampunk Wiki

I have also noticed a few glyphs on some of the posters - on The Great Escape poster, a little arrow type thing - and there are figures along the bottom of the window on the Detroit 08 poster as well. Any ideas of what they coud be? I will continue to look.

And on the Boston poster next to the left side of the skeleton's vertebrae there are two numbers 82 and 95, very small , and RJ on the right hand side. Is that where they were signed and numbered, or is this somehing else?

Very cool observation about the steampunk theme, I didn't even know that existed, but it's very interesting. Fits well with the band.

And good eyes on the symbols, I had noticed a few, but haven't looked into them.

I'm still stumped on that St.Louis woman... I should mention that in the movie there was only one song that wasn't musical score and the only lyrics I could make out in it were "leaving on a midnight train" (but not the same as the "...to Georgia" song). It stood out to me.

#424 Guest_HollyMoody_*

Guest_HollyMoody_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

Okay, so back to the stamps!
I've not been on here in ages because of all the crap I've been doing moving and stuff. But wow, I was not expecting anything from RJ, that's awesome. My husband was like "Why are you spending all this time trying to find these stamps?" :P
It looks really awesome all finished and stuff. Good job everyone!!!

#425 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

Tonight while taking a gander at the Washington DC print I noticed it says "Printed by D&L in the fourth bolgia" in the lower right. There are very often interesting clues in the D&L credit. This is a reference to a book written by Dante Alighieri called The Devine Comedy . The 4th Bolgia is a reference to a part of the 8th circle of hell in which penitence is paid for the sins of soothsayers or fotune tellers. Interesting reference to raconteurs I thought, and very much in keeping with the image.

Posted Image

#426 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

Naturally... I pursued this reference and found a couple more interesting images of possible inspiration for Rob by the illustrator of The Devine Comedy, Gustave Doré.

The Creation of Light:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dante and Beatrice see God as a point of light surrounded by angels; from Gustave Doré's illustrations for the Divine Comedy, Paradiso, Canto 28:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#427 acornsinmypocket

acornsinmypocket

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

What's this? I've never seen it before.

Edited by acornsinmypocket, 27 June 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#428 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

What's this? I've never seen it before.

If you click on the original image I posted it will take you to EB where there is some info about it including :

Exlusive Print for the Aluminium Show and Record Launch from Rob Jones and XL Records. Large Oversize print.

3 Colour signed and numbered silkscreen print edition of 13 (only 10 available, number 3 and 13 in a private collection). Features the black and red tin men and buildings from White Stripes posters.

(largest silkscreen ever printed by D&L at the time)

I know kevron has this and maybe a few other LRs. It was for sale at Richard Goodall Gallery for a pretty steep price until recently. It is very rare and huge!

#429 Rag & Bone

Rag & Bone

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

Thats creepy. I swear, just yesterday, I searched Dante`s Inferno just to see what it was. I had heard it used so many times before, but never knew what it was. It redirected me to the divine comedy.

But of course, 7th_son finds the Rac`s reference.

I swear, we could give you any topic, and you`d relate it to a RJ poster :P

#430 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

Thats creepy. I swear, just yesterday, I searched Dante`s Inferno just to see what it was. I had heard it used so many times before, but never knew what it was. It redirected me to the divine comedy.

But of course, 7th_son finds the Rac`s reference.

I swear, we could give you any topic, and you`d relate it to a RJ poster :P

Well I'm just trying to help :P :lol:

#431 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

This one may be a stretch, but possible inspiration:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 7th_son, 27 June 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#432 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Naturally... I pursued this reference and found a couple more interesting images of possible inspiration for Rob by the illustrator of The Devine Comedy, Gustave Doré.

The Creation of Light:
Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is flipped vertically though in the Cincinnati poster, like this:

Posted Image

#433 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

Go you!

#434 7th_son

7th_son

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

allez-vous?

Edited by 7th_son, 28 June 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#435 Rag & Bone

Rag & Bone

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Je vais bien. Ca va?

French class finally helps!

I really want to see this made into a poster
Posted Image

Edited by Rag & Bone, 28 June 2008 - 09:38 PM.

#436 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

allez-vous?

Oui oui senorita

Edited by Red Orchid, 28 June 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#437 Kaseyls

Kaseyls

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

This one is flipped vertically though in the Cincinnati poster, like this:

Posted Image

This is all so very cool! So I checked my Racs 12/30/06 Chicago poster and it says printed by D&L in Arboria. The only reference I've come up with for that is The Planet of the Treemen from Flash Gordon (knew I recognized Arboria!). Any thoughts anyone?

#438 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

The Creation of Light:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dante and Beatrice see God as a point of light surrounded by angels; from Gustave Doré's illustrations for the Divine Comedy, Paradiso, Canto 28:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once again you amaze me at all the small references you find in Rob's posters. I have a feeling you have just scratched the surface as well. I do have a copy of the Aluminum Tinmen Collage and personally consider it Rob's finest piece of art that he has ever created. As far as White Stripes posters go the Detroit 05 Spotlight version is his best but this one blows it away with all the detail and the sheer size of the print. There is a meaning to all three Aluminum prints they all tie in together. I had no idea that is where the image of all the angels came from, everytime you post I learn something new. Bravo

#439 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

I checked out Gustave Doré's work and it is really amazing I could also see this image making its way into a Rac's poster:

Posted Image

#440 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

I know this is off topic but can anyone locate the origin of this image? I have looked with no success I know it is Jeanne d'Arc, but I have never been able to find anything similar.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users