No replies to this topic

#1 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

Well the albums out…go buy it if you haven't yet. It's a great album and a wonderful introduction to people who are unfamiliar to Loretta Lynn or country music in general.

The two immediately hit it off when they first met. Loretta: "The first time I met him [Jack] in Manhattan I was telling him I was getting ready to go in and do an album myself, He said, 'Well, could I go in and produce it?' I said, 'Why not?'" Jack: "I'd play tambourine on this record, if that's it, I don't care. I just want to be in the same room with her and to be able to work on this."

Jack: "I have no idea why they let me do that, we just hit it off. We became friends, I guess. The idea of a new record came up and I said I'd like to produce it if at all possible and they said, 'OK, let's try it out' and it worked. She wanted to make one final album, and I put my name in, and they let me have a chance at it. It worked out really well. Me and Loretta have become pretty good friends since last year, and I think we work together really well. Her songwriting is just brilliant. She pulled out all these amazing songs, some that were 30 years old and some that she wrote a couple of months ago. The recent ones are classics! It's just insane. And she sings better than someone in their 20s. She's just amazing. I wanted to cry when I heard these (new) songs. She's still writing amazing songs." The album "will be getting away from this horrible production of modern country music that I can't stand and getting down to something raw like she really is. We really hit it off', there's some kind of connection with us. I feel really comfortable with her and I think she feels really comfortable with me, which I'm really glad for, because I could see someone like me-the way I look or whatever-not being appealing or her thinking that maybe I wasn't down with the kind of music she does. She could tell that we have the same love for the same things about music'

The album was recorded in 12 days..Loretta: "I thought, 'Is this old house gonna fall in on us before we get out of here? We walked in, and this long, tall guy [engineer Eric McConnell] was sittin' at the control table. I noticed that he didn't have many controls - not even as many as I've got on my little [sound] board. I thought, 'Oh gee, this is gonna be good.' I started singing and you know, we just took off with 'em. From the first song, it was great." JW: She didn't really understand it at first. We picked this guy's house to record it in, to do it in a home. At the end of the first day, she took me aside and said, (Southern matron voice), Jack, did you know we were gonna record here? I said yeah, I picked this place Loretta. 'Aw, ok, I just wanted to make sure that you knew we were coming here. Within a couple of days, she grabbed my hand and said, Jack, I can't wait for this record to come out, it's gonna be so great. It was really cool, to see her so excited about music again. she got so excited so fast, you could see her brain working all day long, coming up with ideas. It was really cool. We recorded on eight track, I refuse to record on digital computers or equipment. If this equipment was good enough for the people and music I really love -- for Cole Porter, Hank Williams, the Beatles -- there's no need to go and do digital. It gives you way too much opportunity to overproduce."He wanted to keep the music"as real as possible, because that's what Loretta Lynn is."

Lynn was backed on the sessions by four musicians -- Dave Feeny, Patrick Keeler, Jack Lawrence and White -- she dubbed them the Do Whaters "because they got in there and did whatever we needed them to." Greenhornes drummer Patrick Keeler: "I never really thought about how big it could be or about a Grammy when we were making the record. I was only thinking about how cool the whole thing was. We've known the White Stripes for about six years. Our bands started out around the same time, and we got to be friends from playing shows together in Detroit. He has recorded our band before, and he likes the way we play. It was really exciting ... She's an icon. My mom's a big fan. I'm a fan, too. Not to the point where I have autographed collector's plates sitting around, but I have a few of her records. There was no direction at all. We would listen to her song, and we would go through and figure out how we wanted to play it. She would pretty much tell us to do whatever we wanted. That's why (in the album's liner notes) she called us the Do Whaters. She said we are gonna shake up (Nashville's) Music Row. It felt like you've known her a long time. She would work nine and 10 hours a day, and a lot of it was just sitting around and her telling great stories.

Jack: "I didn't want to overthink it, I didn't want to push it and try to perfect it. She sounds brilliant right off the bat. Her voice is gorgeous."Lynn: "I didn't know it was going to be this country, but it's country. It's as country as I am. I wanted to present each song the best way possible and bring out the character of each song. If it was subtle, it needed to be subtle. If she was belting it out, we needed to get intense with it."

Meg: "They did it down at Nashville. I didn't go down as I was busy at the time. But I've heard a lot of the stuff. It's really, really amazing. It's great! Loretta Lynn is a lovely person and an incredible musician. Jack put together the band for the Nashville session using the members of the Greenhorns as the rhythm section - my style of drumming wouldn't have been appropriate - but Loretta wrote all the songs herself. There are a few that date back to the 60s, but the ones she wrote two months ago are just as great. It's an amazing record."

And Loretta doesn't plan on retiring any time soon. She wants to record a religious album and a Christmas album - and she hopes Jack will once again be her producer. Even though their producing styles are different, she likens the young musician to her legendary first producer." You know, this kid is not very old, but he's older-acting. It's like he's been here many times. I see a little bit of Owen Bradley in him. He's great at the rock 'n' roll music, but I think he will probably be even greater at producing. I've got two more albums in mind, and Jack and I are going to do 'em together. When I'm on the road, I say to my fans: 'How many of you know The White Stripes?' And they applaud. Country people know him. Me and Jack are going to do a tour with the Do-Whaters, the boys that played on the album. I'll take my band out, too, so it won't be no big deal."

JW: She wants to do more, but I don't know if I can. She has run-ins with her health, and you know she's getting up there [age-wise]. But she bounces right back. She's so strong. She's a real fighter. She'll go into hospital, and come out two days later kicking and screaming. She cannot sit down, and cannot sit still. She constantly wants to go on tour and do things. She's never stopped since she started 40 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users