Photo

2.13 Do The White Stripes smoke,drink or do drugs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well considering that they have appeared in a film based around people chatting while drinking coffee and smoking cigs it's not hard to determine that they smoke. Also most interviews refer to this often and they can be seen almost chain smoking in a little pre-tour documentary that's circulating around.

On the front of drinking…they're adults…they have some drinks from time to time. It's not a big deal…it's not like they're going on weekend long binges like Lennon ala the "Lost Weekend."

As for drugs - all reports seem to point to a clean bill in this department - a story has circulated about Jack throwing out an interviewer who casually broke out a joint - so that's a good hint at his stance.

And here's a funny story about Jack meeting Donald Sutherland on the set of Cold Mountain: Jack: "We were on this lot out in the country; he was about 30 feet away and I said hi to him. I'd heard that he was really anti-smoking, 'cause he has allergies. I said hi to him and he didn't say hi back. I turned around and walked away, thinking "That's weird he didn't say hi back. Oh, I'm smoking. He's mad that I'm smoking." He came around the corner and said "Jack! Are you still smoking?" I threw the cigarette away and said "nope." He says "C'mere." I thought he was going to yell at me for smoking but he gave me a hug."

More recently it seems Jack has given up smoking:
JW: My voice was getting really really bad. I was losing all the high end. I'd heard some old tapes of us play, and I was really disappointed in the way I couldn't hit these notes anymore. I didn't know what to do. I didn't wanna stop. I started to notice when I was playing with Loretta Lynn, I was playing her songs for the band in that range, which I would normally have been able to hit those notes, but I couldn't do it at that point. It was like this consistent bronchitis over and over again. It just would not go away. Sometimes it would go away for a week, we'd be on tour and I'd sing really great and then it would come back for six months. I couldn't do it anymore. It's too important to me to keep messing with the vocal chords like that. So that's really the only reason.
MW: Right before we were leaving for the festivals, he sang Jolene, and it was like, Wow! I hadn't been able to hear him hit the high notes in that song forever without having trouble, so it's good.
JW: Yeah, it's nice now, it feels good to be back where I used to be, because there was always a little hindrance going on. I was ashamed because, in front of Loretta, I couldn't hit these notes. I think that's what really pushed me to it. It was just that shame that Loretta really didn't think I was a good singer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users