Photo

2.8 So is that the only colors they wear?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

Arthur: "You're not representing the band if you go out wearing a yellow t-shirt!"

When they play live they pretty much stick to the red, black, and white. But obviously this is not the case in more other environments. Jack: "And we thought it would be a good stage aesthetic to dress in the colors of the peppermint, so that people would think like kids when they saw us, or at least remember who we were. I think it's the best color combination of all time. It's just more powerful. For some reason, it just makes people think about stuff. Say someone says, 'Wow, I really like your red pants.' It just seems to me that if I was wearing green pants, people wouldn't come up and say, 'Wow, those are pants.' There's nothing special about them. They're just old senior citizen pants. There's just something about the color. It's very interesting for us to work on the appearance of the band, because it all comes off of this one theme derived from those two colors, with red standing for anger and white being innocence. It's a lot easier than a band where everyone wears jeans and T-shirt. Everyone can recognize a White Stripes record. Everyone knows there is something going on on-stage."

Jack: "When we played we decided we wanted to dress up in our Sunday best like a kid would. If you tell a kid that they are going to church, they'll always come down in a red outfit or something and be told 'No, you can't go to church in that'." You know I was really conscious of the fact that when a band goes up on stage, in like street clothes they're making a conscious decision to wear that on stage, but there is a visual aspect to a show. People are watching. You could compare that the way we wear white and red peppermint candy as a symbol of the band. It's the same if you choose to blast blue lighting on the band or anything, it all affects how you feel when you watch a band, like if you just turned up the lights at the bar and down at the stage that affects your perception of a band. You know, now there's bands dressing up as cowboys, bands dressing up as lounge acts (sighs). And if we had to make a choice, I wanted it to be something simple like that. Something where someone could see a cover and say, "oh, that's a White Stripes record" right away, I mean, I won't go dressing up as a chicken just to get people's attention."

Jack: "Yeah. Anything involved in presenting yourself onstage is all a big trick. You're doing your best to trick those people into experiencing something good, something they haven't thought about before or haven't thought about in a long time. I'm doing my best to be that vaudeville trickster, to help that happen. But the image stuff all stemmed from the music-just the childishness and how it relates to anger and innocence and these colors and what they mean to us, and us being children together. It all comes from that childishness, really."

JW: It's kind of funny. The last couple of weeks, how many things I've seen - Black Eyed Peas wearing completely red white and black outfits, Lil Jon the rapper was on MTV Awards the other day, I saw that when I was flippin' channels - wearing all red white and black. The new Green Day album, all the artwork is red white and black. The Lenny Kravitz album, the same. Go to a record store, it's all like that. There's two car commercials out right now, one for Honda where the car is made out of red white and black Lego (laughs) there's another ad where the car is spinning, a total rip-off of The Hardest Button to Button video. It's hilarious. People say like, well, you guys don't own those colours, but look at this thing with cars made out of red white and black lego. A friend said to me, Whatever, Jack! Then I was talking to Michel Gondry a week later and he said, Oh yes, zey asked me to direct this commercial! Hahaha, see? Told you! I knew they got their ideas from somewhere!

JW: If you can't get past the stage of, Oh, this is a gimmick. OK, if you think it's gimmick, you're not possibly gonna be able to come any deeper with us. So It's good. It weeds out people who wouldn't care anyway. Then, if you wanna know what the truth is, ask the little kids watching the band, and see what he thinks. I venture a guess he's gonna have fun.

Jack: “Someone will say, Hey why not cause a storm by wearing green one day? I mean why? Why would we do that? Wearing red and white has meaning. Wearing green for a day would just be so bourgeois.”

Jack: "they're the colours of anger and innocence."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users