3111 replies to this topic

#1 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 07:38 PM

have you guys heard of this band, they are from Ohio, same setup as the WS, guitar and drums, I've heard a lot of really great things about this band, i downloaded a few songs and they are really bluesy, the only thing is everything you read about them, the person writing compares them to the WS and usually puts the WS down when comparing, I don't understand why people have to put down one group when describing another, but don't let the anti-WS talk have an effect, these guys are good, check them out......

#2 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:11 PM

sorry, http://www.theblackkeys.com/home.html

#3 Gaz

Gaz

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 10:25 AM

They are from Akron, which is about 15 minutes from where I live. They only get radio play on one station here (91.3 the summit, happens to be Akron Public Schools radio). I think they sound alright, I don't think they are comparable to the white stripes beyond the fact that they are a 2 piece and they play blues. I have not seen them live yet, but I am hoping to.

#4 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 12:44 PM

yeah, I don't think they sound like the WS at all, they def won't get mainstream play, but i think they have an incredible sound, and they are really good live, their album "The Big Come Up" is great, made a lot of best of lists but nobody really knows about them yet, they will.

#5 specialk

specialk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 01:29 PM

well, i've been raving about these guys for months so its nice to see someone else join in. I've seen them live about 5 or 6 times and have never been disappointed. They just finished recording their new album and it will be out April 9th according to the lead singer/guitarist Dan.

I think its foolish for writers to compare them to the Stripes, but I guess it's unavoidable. The Black Keys stick to the blues and don't stray very far. Even their cover of No Fun by the Stooges is bluesy. Anyway, I predict big things for them this year.

Gaz, where do you live? I'm from Akron, so we've got to be almost neighbors.

Edited by specialk, 01 January 2003 - 01:30 PM.

#6 Mikey

Mikey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 02:04 PM

Just from the name of the band I thought there would be a piano in it, which would have been great. Oh well . . .

#7 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 05:35 PM

no piano required, these guys have got straight up soul, guitar and drums, thats great news about their next album! i been dying for some more music from these guys since I got the big come up, glad to see people are tapped into some really good music!

#8 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 05:38 PM

here is a link to a couple of their songs.....

http://www.alive-tot..._downloads.html

#9 jpolock69

jpolock69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:12 PM

Well Rolling Stone magazine likes them...gave 'em a four star review. Not bad for an indie band that no one had heard of four months ago. They'll be in Detroit next Saturday, Jan 11th. At the Lager I think

#10 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:28 PM

yeah just about everything I've read about these guys has been good, they are playing in MA where i live in Feb with the Soledad Brothers, can't wait for that show!

#11 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:33 PM

this guy response to Rolling Stones review of the Black Keys album nails it.....regarding the White Stripes Comparison....

The Peter Relic review was quite deserving for the Keys, but it was Relic's final line that caused me to respond: "In a world gone White Stripes crazy, save room in your heart and CD wallet for the Black Keys." It seems as though Relic fails to realize the irony within his own statement. For some reason he sounds as if he cannot understand the reason the world has gone White Stripes crazy, alternately he thinks the Keys released a supurb album. The reason we love the Stripes matches our captivation of the sound generated from The Black Keys. The flatted thirds and sevenths that Auerbach masters in every track is reminencent of any classic blues album, and most recently surfacing in the stripped-down sound of The White Stripes. I beg Relic not to search for differences in music with a bountiful supply of similarities to celebrate. This is an exciting time to be a fan of music,...

#12 specialk

specialk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 05:20 PM

I recently found out that The Big Come Up was #25 on MOJO's top 40 albums of the year. And Spin magazine just reviewed them in the latest issue and gave them 8 1/2 stars out of 10.

Fairly impressive for a band that will have its one year aniversary this month.

#13 Gaz

Gaz

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:09 PM

Special K, I am from Kent, however I will be moving up to Cleveland real soon (job).
They were on 91.3 the Summit a few weeks ago for an in studio interview. They mentioned that they are going to be releasing a live 3 track 7" EP soon.

#14 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 08:38 AM

Heres a link to an audio interview they did, these guys really seem down to earth, knowledgeable about music and really seem like they want to make good music......

http://www.wksu.org/feature/blackkeys/

#15 specialk

specialk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 05:41 PM

For those interested, here are some tour dates for the Black Keys. Apparently, they were hand picked by Sleater Kinney for their tour.

Jan 10 Toledo, OH Frankie's
Jan 11 Detroit, MI Lager House (with Thee Shams)
Jan 17 Columbus, OH Little Brother's
Jan 18 Athens, OH The Union
Jan 19 Buffalo, NY Showplace Theater (With Jon Spencer Blues Explosion)
Jan 24 Indianapolis, IN The Vogue
Jan 25 Louisville, KY The Rudyard Kipling

FEBRUARY

Feb 1 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 3 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 4 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 5 Sacramento, CA Colonial Theatre (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 7 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theatre (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 8 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theatre (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 13 Northampton, MA Pearl Street Nightclub (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 14 Providence, RI Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 15 New York, NY Roseland Ballroom (With Sleater Kinney)
Feb 17 Toronto, ONT The Opera House (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 21 Newport, KY Southgate Houser (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 22 Champaign, IL The High Dive (With Sleater-Kinney)
Feb 23 Chicago, IL Metro (With Sleater-Kinney)

Feb 27 Carrboro, NC Room 4 (With The Soledad Brothers)
Feb 28 Atlanta, GA Echo Lounge (With The Soledad Brothers)
Mar 1 Knoxville, TN Pilot Light (With The Soledad Brothers)

Also, not on the list (but they're already selling tickets for):

February 19 at 8:00 PM Detroit, MI Magic Stick (With Sleater-Kinney)

#16 shoegazer_13

shoegazer_13

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:58 PM

I was just on insound's website and they have a new Black Keys 7"...(well im not sure if its new, but it seems to be new to the site)...its called "Moan"...it features two new songs that are not on The Big Come Up.

Here's a link:

http://www.insound.c...uery=black keys

And if your looking for their album The Big Come Up, you can order it for $12US including shipping from their label's website.

http://www.alive-totalenergy.com/

Edited by shoegazer_13, 09 January 2003 - 10:26 PM.

#17 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 03:02 AM

Well Rolling Stone magazine likes them...gave 'em a four star review. Not bad for an indie band that no one had heard of four months ago. They'll be in Detroit next Saturday, Jan 11th. At the Lager I think

Well if rolling stone gives it four stars, it must be great! Hold on while I carve the band's name into my fucking leg!

These guys better be outstanding when I see them. They're headling a show with the Soledad Brothers here in Atlanta in February. If not, I'm going to urinate in my pabst can and throw it at the fuckers.

I have been inactive with regard to shows as of late, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt... However, every band that generates a buzz on this board is usually pretty disappointing ultimately.

#18 specialk

specialk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:38 PM

Fat Possum records' website is streaming the Black Keys new album Thickfreakness and I must say, it sounds real fucking good.

Fat Possum

This record apparently is the child of a 14 straight hour recording session in their basement.

#19 feb4films

feb4films

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:09 PM

Saw them live a couple weeks ago and they were more disappointing than anything I've seen in a while. They had a good album, but as far as their live show goes, it lacks energy - more accurately - it sucks. They sound flat, especially the guitar and vocals. Carney's drumming is good and their new songs sound as if he gets a chance to show himself a little more, rather than pushing him into the background by Auerbach's guitar and forced vocals. Overall though, they would've gotten booed at any real blues joint and should have been embarrassed after the Soledad Brothers tore open the stage with their hi-octane show, upstaging the Keys just in the process of tuning...

Edited by feb4films, 09 March 2003 - 10:10 PM.

#20 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 03:39 AM

Samey classic rock jive. It's boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users