Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_joeldalley_*

Guest_joeldalley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:55 PM

Honestly, although I am a big fan of Lynch movies, even "Dune"!, I don't like "Fire Walk With Me", I find it too obvious and without any "secret" or mystery, everything is so clear, too clear. Sometimes I think that it is the worst Lynch movie, maybe it isn't so bad but in contradistinction to "Twin Peaks" series it is.

Contradistinction? Who says that? The word is "contrast". Anyway, I have not yet begun to analyze this movie. I watched Mullholland Dr. a dozen times before I really developed a theory. I've only seen Fire Walk With Me once (as an adult). But, I was paying attention, and I feel there's more than meets the eye. However, I can see how one might say it's simple or straightforward since on one level it is. But that's not what interests me.

#22 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:56 PM

I've seen fire walk with me once and didn't like it.

but i love the series, i have every(!) episode on tape, but i donĘ't watch them much, because, god forbid, they might break. The ending of the series was disappointing (i think lynch didn't want to end the series and give the killer away, but the tv company made him end the series). And the movie kinda spoiled the mystery surrounding the begining. Oh yeah, i've read the diaries of dale cooper and laura palmer... i get obsessed easily. And i bake the 'twin peaks cherrypie' from time to time...

#23 guitarchick

guitarchick

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:53 PM

i've seen it many times my fav seen is the bar with that country horror music angelo badalamente does the music for most of the david lynch stuff if you like firewalk see blue velvet fucking classic

#24 redleather

redleather

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:50 PM

Contradistinction? Who says that? The word is "contrast".

This the word from dictionary, I didn't want to use word "contrast", because I was thinking about something a little bit different, maybe in English "contrast" fits more to this context but don't blame me, it's not my fault, my dictionary is guilty! ;)

#25 Guest_Apple Demilo_*

Guest_Apple Demilo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Okay, I had to bring back this thread because I just started watching Twin Peaks.

I've seen FWWM and the entire first season, but the second season isn't on DVD so I've only seen eps. 9&10. But I love it. All of it. And I'm a little obsessed. That is all.

#26 Guest_Apple Demilo_*

Guest_Apple Demilo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Scratch that, I have not seen FWWM, only the first season. My boyfriend had the pilot episode on disc, and that's what I thought FWWM was. But then I read into it, and I was wrong. So we watched the pilot and then I took the boxed set home and watched it.

But anyway, I love all the characters, they are really quirky and wonderful, especially Lucy in the Sherriff's office, the Log Lady, and Dr. Jacobi.

#27 kellym78

kellym78

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:26 PM

I have both seasons and FWWM on tape. I got them in Japan five years ago. I wasn't as thrilled with FWWM as I was the series. TP was awesome. It was too cool for general consumption. Oh well. I must confess that I 'm not a big fan of Lynch - and that's putting it mildly, but I loved Twin Peaks anyway. I also love Sherilyn Fenn. She's awesome.
Posted Image

#28 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

i love david lynch's films. the slooow pace and unbearable alienation. they are as close to dreams movies can get. i have most of them on vhs, including eraserhead. when i watch it the room gets dark and steam comes out from behind the tv. and i hear this little voice. . .
david would have himself locked into that claustrophobic bedroom set to sleep every night for a whole year of filming. i think it shows.

i wish they would release all of the twin peaks episodes on dvd. i need to break one of my bones and watch the whole thing on cherry pie and oxycotin.

when i hear that music i go into a trance. angelo badalamenti-orchestrations and arrangements. i love the julee cruise cd " floating into the night" it gives me peggy lee fever. and the lyrics are by david himself! very romantic sweet love longing songs. "won't you come over to my house...please?"

Edited by sunhouse, 22 July 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#29 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

well motherfuckers. i've been watching some of this persons work. i have seen the first season of twin peaks. i must have the zip.ca people worried because i haven't moved the second season on to my ziplist. let me tell you why.

i've read all your talk and i know the nature of tv series so i have it in my head that this will drag on and i wonder if the power of season one will become diminished in the lust to survive another season. i don't think i would and could appreciate it any more with unlimited episodes. i may be wrong but i believe it's merits stand there in that one season.

that being said, i find it at best quirky but not brilliant.

eraserhead is, of course, brilliant. mostly, i feel, because of all the movies that i have seen THIS movie i will never forget. i was PRAYING for just one tiny hint of colour. if there would just be one fleck of colour then i can have hope. it's so desperately bleak. BLACK AND BLEAK. i assume it is a dream or as someone mentioned a nightmare but it's impossible to think that your mind wouldn't give you some hope. YOUR OWN MIND sees you as being FUCKED. that's so depressing.

of course, we've all have that stark landscape sort of dream. that barren, empty journey to dream upon. and here i have to point out the bias of the word dream. i can't seem to say nightmare. but, for me, dream isn't nightmare and even his nightmare was a dream for me. i guess it's a hold out of my sub-conscious but i need to hold on to hope and i think that conscious decision follows me down to the pillow.

the man pulling the levers at the window and the odd sphere, maybe planet???, and the puddle, are all, in my opinion, his hope. the idea that it's all connected and the SOMEONE might be controlling it, albeit quite haphazardly.

hilarious? yes, especially the idea that god is a woman with oatmeal cheeks on a vaudevillian stage. ha! AND, the entire scene where they make erasers from a core sample of his head/brain. BRILLIANT anarchy/chaos/existential/nihilistic oblivion. however you see that type of hopelessness.

anyway, i am probably "crazy" about my views but that's how i see it and i have many more ideas and still some to be formed, i suppose.

i'd like some mature and honest discussion and criticism. i haven't googled anything on this movie so as to remain pure to my own interpretation. i've spoken about it with one other person who has seen the movie and in part is how i came to realize that i will never forget this movie. it is lodged in a catacomb somewhere up there between the puddle and the baby.

edit.
i have had the julee cruise cd 'floating into the night' since 2003.

Edited by lindapoirier, 18 November 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#30 Guest_Vlim Harcor_*

Guest_Vlim Harcor_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Having watched all of Twin Peaks since I last posted here, I have to say if you're not dying to see season 2, it's probably best not to watch it. It's not as good as season 1, but the story does continue, and the characters do get wackier. So if you don't find the story or the characters compelling, you may as well skip it.

That said, I love it. All of it. May not be brilliance, but considering that Lynch largely abandoned it anyway, I don't know why anyone would expect it to be.

#31 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

what do you mean "largely abandoned it"?

i would like to know more from those people who really liked twin peaks about why they like it so much.

#32 Guest_Vlim Harcor_*

Guest_Vlim Harcor_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

As far as I am aware, Lynch only had a hand in writing or directing a handful of episodes.

I love it because of the characters and their interactions. That's the whole point of the show. It's a soap opera.

#33 Guest_K._*

Guest_K._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

Having watched all of Twin Peaks since I last posted here, I have to say if you're not dying to see season 2, it's probably best not to watch it. It's not as good as season 1, but the story does continue, and the characters do get wackier. So if you don't find the story or the characters compelling, you may as well skip it.

That said, I love it. All of it. May not be brilliance, but considering that Lynch largely abandoned it anyway, I don't know why anyone would expect it to be.

Yeah, it's all about season 1. The beginning of season 1, especially.

I happen to really like Fire Walk With Me, but I know many do not, both Lynch fans and casual viewers. Casual viewers don't like it because it doesn't make good sense to them. It's too weird for them. And a lot of Lynch fans don't like it because it's too literal. It's not weird enough--there's not enough opportunity for interpretation.

I agree that it's a very literal movie, as far as Lynch goes, but that isn't a negative for me.

#34 Guest_Vlim Harcor_*

Guest_Vlim Harcor_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

I just felt that FWWM was so much darker than the series. The series had its dark moments, but by and large they were just punctuation in a fairly light and quirky universe. It's been a while since I saw FWWM, but my lasting impression is that it is somewhat the opposite.

For the most part I still like it, though. Just because it's a continuation of one of my very favorite television series.

Edited by Vlim Harcor, 18 November 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#35 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

I still haven't gotten around to watching Season 2. I need to do that sometime, having rewatched the first and FWWM.

Linda, I can't really explain why I love Twin Peaks. It was something I used to catch snatches of on late night TV when I was a younger teenager and it was just this odd little world I felt happy to curl up in bed and watch sleepily, late on a Thursday night or whenever it was on. It reminded me of reading a book where the setting is surreal but the characters are empathetic...it makes me feel uncomfortably warm and content.

#36 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

1990, that was the year I was watching a new show called "Twin Peaks", a new show called "The Simpsons", and another hilarious show on HBO, "Kids In the Hall". I don't think TV ever got any better than that.

#37 Nelson Mandela House

Nelson Mandela House

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,895 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Is this the one with the weird dancing midget talking funny language thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users