Ah, I see.

#16042 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

The Circle.  A bit heavy-handed for my tastes.  Emma Watson is her usual greatness.  John Boyega doesn't have much to do.  It felt like a long episode of Black Mirror.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  Basically, it's Star Trek V.  Booo!

#16043 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

Nice dark little laugh-out-loud film.

#16044 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

This has been the best summer for well-reviewed and generally enjoyable wide-release movies in many, many years.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, The Big Sick, and now Dunkirk, which is pretty much the first shoo-in for a Best Picture nom this year (see it in 70mm IMAX if you can).  Atomic Blonde may also be alright, and another Soderbergh flick is on the way in August.  Good times.

Edited by J.C., 26 July 2017 - 01:57 AM.

#16045 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Baby Driver didn't do much for me. The story about Baby was good, but the heist business got to be way too much.

#16046 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Atomic Blonde.  As much as I like Angelina Jolie, I gotta say Charlize Theron throws a punch better than Angelina ever did.

#16047 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

Baby Driver didn't do much for me. The story about Baby was good, but the heist business got to be way too much.

Heh.  Usually people, if anything, respond more to the supporting cast than the central character.  I enjoyed it primarily as a weird kind of musical, with many of the gunshots and other sound effects timed to the beat of the terrific soundtrack.  I think it's a marvelously edited and directed film with a charismatic group of actors, though I was surprised the third act featured a chase on foot (possibly relating to the modest production budget).

Edgar Wright's 5-for-5 for me.

Edited by J.C., 31 July 2017 - 03:32 AM.

#16048 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,232 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

The Beguiled was also pretty good this summer.

Who knows what I'm watching tonight. My boyfriend and I are doing the long-distance moving watching thing and it always takes us like a goddamn hour to settle on a movie we both want to watch on netflix

#16049 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

I wasn't sure if The Beguiled got a particularly wide release, which is why I didn't list it.

But as well-reviewed wide releases go, I did forget to list Girls Trip.

Edited by J.C., 01 August 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#16050 Death Letter Blues

Death Letter Blues

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Atomic Blonde.  As much as I like Angelina Jolie, I gotta say Charlize Theron throws a punch better than Angelina ever did.

The wife and watched this on Friday. Charlize Theron scares me! The movie had enough action and plot that it kept me entertained and more importantly, the wife liked it. :)

#16051 xman

xman

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

I don't always get to the movies as much in the summer since they just seem to fly by, but I did watch "The Big Sick" last week and it was well worth the trip.  I wanted to see Baby Driver but it may need to wait for DVD. 

#16052 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:50 AM

Lady Bird.

it was good, but i didn't think it was really that good. "lady bird" was just a little too cool and the ending just wasn't believable IMO.

#16053 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,439 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

Did anyone actually see Justice League?  Any good? 

#16054 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Did anyone actually see Justice League?  Any good? 

I did! Objectively, it's pretty meh, but I still like it a lot. Full disclosure: I'm currently sitting within an arm's reach of...13 DC trades, so I have some love for the characters. It's better than BVS or Suicide Squad (I like the former even though it has HUGE problems, and think the latter is a dumpster fire), but it is not nearly as good as Wonder Woman.

It's basically the Avengers with a different set of characters and a different aesthetic. Fortunately, I prefer the aesthetic, but it still ends up being a much less fresh version of that movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users