3111 replies to this topic

#21 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:50 AM

these guys are unreal....album is off the hook, the next ones is going to be even better, can't wait to see them, these guys are what i love about new music today.....

#22 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 05:14 PM

They fucking suck. Pull your dick out of the lamp socket.

#23 manyslus

manyslus

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:11 PM

i was not throughly impressed by their record... i suppose if you haven't heard real fucking awesome bands that they are great...i don't know.

Maybe they are better live... max, don't you think? :)

#24 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:20 PM

I saw them live, and wasn't impressed. Kind of flat, and what they lack in energy they make up in volume. Watching them follow Soledad's was a joke.

#25 enany

enany

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:22 PM

i was not throughly impressed by their record... i suppose if you haven't heard real fucking awesome bands that they are great...i don't know.

Maybe they are better live... max, don't you think? :)

Exactly what I was trying to say. Maybe if I was trapped in a recordless world, and that album was the only thing I could listen to, I would. But as of now, there is no reason to listen to this band. Maybe it's not that they're bad...they're just not good.

And the Beatles' cover sucks.

#26 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:11 PM

A cardinal sin in rock n roll: covering the beatles.

#27 Sprocket

Sprocket

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:15 PM

But then again, sinnin' is good B)

what beatles song did they cover? let me guess; "come together"?

Edited by Sprocket, 10 March 2003 - 08:16 PM.

#28 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:22 PM

Thought Siouxsie Sioux did a pretty good job with 'Dear Prudence'.

#29 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

I don't know about that cover. their helter skelter kind of kicks ass... it sounds NOTHING like helter skelter though.

#30 lynntou

lynntou

Porch Ghoul

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:21 PM

If it's the same Beatles cover as the one on the album, then it was 'She Said, She Said'. I usually hate every Beatles cover, but this one I liked quite a bit. It's just sounds so different than the original. And I actually like the entire album.

#31 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:03 AM

sorry, but these guys blew the Soledad brothers off the stage....and i like the soledad brothers, they just kick ass....they don't sound like a blues band trying to be a blues band like a lot of these other bands, they actually sound like a blues band. The Big Come Up was one of the best albums in 2002, take it for what it is, these guys made it in their basement....just 2 guys playing the blues, no big record company backing them.

#32 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:16 AM

[/QUOTE]i suppose if you haven't heard real fucking awesome bands that they are great...i don't know.

please, tell me what a real fucking awesome band is?

A killer, bluesy Midwest two-piece who aren't the White Stripes.
Rawboned blues duo the Black Keys hail from Akron, Ohio, but a listen to "The Big Come Up" suggests the Keys may have been raised by Mississippi ridge-runners. While Dan Auerbach's overdriven ax is powered by the same internal-combustion engine that drove blues legends Junior Kimbrough and Fred McDowell, this is no po-faced retro show. There's Wu-Tang Clan-schooled funk in drummer Patrick Carney's fatback beats, and on the cranked-up "Countdown," Auerbach suppresses a sob with the droll closing couplet, "You stole my heart and damn near drove me mad/I gotta get back home to my mom and dad." From the truthfully titled "Heavy Soul" to a devolved, choogling cover of the Beatles' "She Said, She Said," this is a righteous choice for rock debut of the year. In a world gone White Stripes crazy, save room in your heart and CD wallet for the Black Keys.

"The Black Keys are putting mush mouthed sleaze back into the r'n'b rennaissance. It almost makes me want to return to 1971 where we can safely discuss "blackness" (or a lack of it) "authenticity" being of great importance to the Stones and their ilk back in the day. The Black Keys have a track called 'Heavy Soul' which is actually what it says it is. Paul Weller's album of the same name merely Claptonised music which had been filtered through white people once already (Spencer Davis Group, The Small Faces etc). No, this is basic drum and guitar encoded with Son House DNA, moving within that ol' unpredictable John Lee Hooker meter. (...) It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n'roll, unless you live in Akron, in which case just keep drinking the water".

#33 fanofbk

fanofbk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:36 PM

hey, i think dial m for max spends a little too much time on his computer sucking detroit schlong. don't compare bands to other bands - it's lazy critiquing! and don't listen to anybody but yourself. the black keys have tore it up everytime iv'e seen them! i can't wait to get their new cd and i can't wait to get elephant. it's a great time to be a music fan...

#34 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:05 PM

It takes a real moron to refer to a Toledo Ohio band as "Detroit Schlong" - fanofbk... like I don't know where THAT'S coming from... and as if sucking Ohio dick is any better than any other sort of dick. Even your name implies a mental problem.

They fucking blow. They are samey. They sound WHITE as fuck, and the energy is FLAT! Fundamentally, what both SB and the BKs do is similiar. Even the boys in each band would agree, so the comparison is fair. Where the Keys fail, the Soledad brothers succeed, by blowing a bit of contemporary oxygen into the formula. The SB's material and performance have a serrated energy to them. While the Keys play it straight through. It's boring. I might as well go home and play the record.

And last time I checked, this wasn't an issue of rolling stone. Do your fucking homework, sodomite. You don't come in here like you know shit, and obviously say meaningless garbage like "max loves Detroit bands" - I just fucking wrote a piece trashing half of those bands.

The Black Keys are contrived - and therefore they do not carry the true spirit of the blues. It sounds forced. They sounded like an SRV cover band, via frat boys. It sounds so by the book. There's nothing new here. It sounds like third generation xerox of boogey chillin'.... Why would I want to listen to a cheap rendition of a Hooker record, especially if it leands no new spin to it?

Edited by Dial M For Max, 11 March 2003 - 02:09 PM.

#35 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:28 PM

nice. That is a real risky move for a band. I laugh me ass off at any asshole who thought they were a Beatles fan picking up the I Am Sam soundtrack.

#36 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:56 PM

fanofbk, you can listen to the black keys new record, thickfreakness on the Fat Possum web site, www.fatpossum.com, they have the whole thing in streaming audio, it absolutely kills, i hope elephant is as good!

#37 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:07 PM

I laugh me ass off at any asshole who thought they were a Beatles fan picking up the I Am Sam soundtrack.

Or how about the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" soundtrack with The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton? God, if ever a movie and a soundtrack should be burned, it's that one. Posted Image

#38 fanofbk

fanofbk

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:18 PM

hey, dial m for man/boy love...you drink too much hater-ade. iv'e seen the soledad's as a duo and as a trio - what are you talking about? they are all embarassing blues cliche - they play straight george thorogood...no contemporary oxygen anywhere. and the singing is astonishingly bad. they come on stage and say "hey, we're the soledad bros. from detroit city". also, i never heard srv use samples in his music, the black keys did. and i don't think iv'e ever heard the black keys play a blues shuffle - that's all the soledad's do! the black keys aren't contrived - they don't wear fucking outfits or use some sort of fucking schtick to win over audiences - they just walk on stage in street clothes and play their asses off. and they've never claimed to play blues music (like the soledad's). i think your just a failed musician and a bitter loser with a personal vendetta - like most dumb ass music critics. the black keys rock! thanks bold99 for the "thickfreakness" info.

#39 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:38 PM

I'm really not trying to get into this debate at all, I havent heard the Black Keys so can't really say anything about them, I like to Soledad Brothers though.

I just want to clarify something, did you just use the term "hater-ade?"

#40 SaintGeorge67

SaintGeorge67

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:43 PM

the black keys record ain't TOO bad, but it comes nowhere near the soledad brothers self titled.

Also, i wish this blues shit would stop. It's becoming worse than "garage". "oh, this band plays the blues". Covering No Fun is not playing the blues. John Lee Hooker is pretty poor in my opinion. Give me Patton or Blind Willie Johnson, even Barbecue Bob any day. Just cos a band plays blues doesn't make them good. And lets all remember NME's "the blues, the most boring music in the world" quote before they jump on the bandwagon.

Bollocks to the Black Keys, nice record, nothing more. Rolling Stone are full of shit anyway. I'd rather hear the Rolling Stones opinion.

I'd rather get it Soledad style. They turn it on live.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users