14 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Timblin

Chad Timblin

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

I love Dean's crazy keyboard sounds in The Dead Weather. I read on Wikipedia that he uses a Moog Little Phatty, a Wurlitzer Electric Piano, and a vintage KORG CX-3 organ.

I play keys and want to get one of these keyboards. Does anyone here know more about how he gets his sound?

Which one of these keyboards would be the best purchase?

The keys on Bone House sound awesome.

Thanks, Chad

#2 Ghost Of Bury

Ghost Of Bury

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I also play keys, and the little phatty sounds great! Jack uses it in the stripes too i think

#3 Chad Timblin

Chad Timblin

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks! I want one, just gotta save up haha.

#4 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

its definitely sporting a good sound... ive always had every confidence in Dean as well

#5 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

dean was so grossly over looked in the dead weather. the dude was doing some sick stuff on keys, and was a total monster on guitar. i'd like to see him more involved in future TMR recordings and projects.

#6 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

He was the 5th Raconteur, after all!

#7 Chad Timblin

Chad Timblin

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yeah Dean's great.

Does anyone know why he doesn't want to reveal his equipment at the end of this video? I'm guessing he doesn't want people to copy his sound, but that sounds kinda elitist.

#8 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

all i have to say about Dean and his keys as well as the rest of his musicality would be that i am not getting enough of it... gimme more!!!

#9 Chad Timblin

Chad Timblin

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Anybody know what keyboard Dean is using in this video?

#10 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

all i have to say about Dean and his keys as well as the rest of his musicality would be that i am not getting enough of it... gimme more!!!

http://www.amazon.co...38771127&sr=8-1

#11 Keeley

Keeley

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Let's not forget his work in QOTSA!

#12 marcosvaca

marcosvaca

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I've seen him with queens 3 times and he kills it.

#13 Keeley

Keeley

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

I've seen him with queens 3 times and he kills it.

Same here... three times w/ Queens and once with the Dead Weather. He wasn't at the Racs show that I saw in '08. :(

#14 marcosvaca

marcosvaca

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

This is a bit off topic but I have this funny story about Dean at a qotsa show in LA at Club Nokia. Queens had been playing for a good hour and it was unbearably hot in this fucking place so I'm yelling at dean "Dean!".. "Dean!" and I finally got his attention and made the drinking water motion with my hand to see if he would be so kind as to give me one of the at least 10 bottles he had directly next to him. Keep in mind, I was literally on the verge of dehydrating, like seriously, I thought I was gonna pass out! Anyway he looks at me as I'm signaling him for water and he thinks I'm making the "shaka" sign with my hand so he does it back. Wtf! I met him in Pomona a few months later and we cracked up about it.

Edited by marcosvaca, 06 June 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#15 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

This is a bit off topic but I have this funny story about Dean at a qotsa show in LA at Club Nokia. Queens had been playing for a good hour and it was unbearably hot in this fucking place so I'm yelling at dean "Dean!".. "Dean!" and I finally got his attention and made the drinking water motion with my hand to see if he would be so kind as to give me one of the at least 10 bottles he had directly next to him. Keep in mind, I was literally on the verge of dehydrating, like seriously, I thought I was gonna pass out! Anyway he looks at me as I'm signaling him for water and he thinks I'm making the "shaka" sign with my hand so he does it back. Wtf! I met him in Pomona a few months later and we cracked up about it.

thats just like that scene from Fifth Element when Corbin Dallas is trying to get the gun from the Deaf Rock Star and the Rock Star reciprocates by tossing him a couple of billiard balls as if he could defend himself with those... classic gutbuster humor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users