109 replies to this topic

#41 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Your English is fine, and much, much better than my Portuguese. :)

#42 outlaw

outlaw

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

Cbl definitely seems like a grower for me. After the third listen the first slight disappointement is gone. Curious how songs akin to this will work out Live.
Can already say that I would love a album-version with stripped down instrumentation for the to be announced fault. Cbl has for my taste too much layers and too much going in.
And Im very excited for the jazzpianostyle-song from the snippet-vid.

#43 Jack White Mini me!

Jack White Mini me!

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

FRESH! That's what comes to mind after a few listens of both songs... I did wonder whether the time off would bring us back a slightly different, evolved Jack White and that seems to be what's happened. I'm so ready for this album!! 

#44 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone know what they call that '80s-style sound effect that first shows up at the 33-second mark of Respect Commander?

#45 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

respect commander > connected by love

#46 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Does anyone know what they call that '80s-style sound effect that first shows up at the 33-second mark of Respect Commander?

I have no idea but it sounds exactly like Tutu by Miles Davis :D

#47 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, Mr. T, as I said, I figure that's why they put it out there at the same time, because they knew a power-ballad wouldn't cater to a fair amount of the fanbase.  Only question is, is Respect Commander an actual album track, or simply a b-side for CBL?  I figure it's the former, but... 

#48 Francisco Mosimann

Francisco Mosimann

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, Mr. T, as I said, I figure that's why they put it out there at the same time, because they knew a power-ballad wouldn't cater to a fair amount of the fanbase.  Only question is, is Respect Commander an actual album track, or simply a b-side for CBL?  I figure it's the former, but... 

Based on the description of the youtube (“Respect Commander” by Jack White from the forthcoming album BOARDING HOUSE REACH) i'd say that its a track of the album. 

#49 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Im starting to love them both now. Im so happy he took his new stuff in this experimental, crazy direction. Its so refreshing, especially after the last two solo albums which I found slightly boring. I cannot wait to hear more!!! Btw, idk if it was announced but how many tracks does the new album have? I can go for a nice long album of like 15-17 songs.

#50 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Glad he's trying something new. His solo albums have been so dull compared to his finest work. That being said, not in love with either song we just got. They aren't bad, but in 2003 we could have gotten Seven Nation Army backed with album track You've Got her In Your Pocket. There is a difference.

#51 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

Monkhey -  Well, that's certainly a switch from earlier today!  A "grower", indeed!  :lol:

While I'm always up for lots of new material, I usually find a twelve-to-thirteen song album has a little more quality-control than a 16-17 song one.  To me, Self-Titled and White Blood Cells have a few too many underdeveloped tracks in their home stretches.

#52 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I can't stand either one of those songs.  I tried, I really did.

I don't begrudge Jack his room to evolve and experiment, he certainly doesn't owe me anything, but this is a direction I won't be following.  My Vault subscription just got cancelled - I'm not going to buy the $20 version of this album, let alone the $60 version. 

Edited by bigbayblue, 11 January 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#53 NoRightOpinion

NoRightOpinion

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:03 AM

After listening to both songs several times now, I really like them both. Respect Commander struck me initially and Connected By Love was, as seems to be a common case, more of a grower, but I love the contrast of the video, fighting between macro impending doom and micro growth and love.

Watching Servings and Portions again, after giving the two new tracks several listens, made me even more excited for Boarding House Reach.

Also, if you havent yet, check out DJ Harrisons bandcamp page and listen to his newest album. Definitely has some familiar feels from new tracks and especially Servings and Portions.

And if anyone from the Denver area is going to be in Nashville or Detroit on Saturday morning and wants to pick up an extra tricolor... well Id love to buy you a beer or coffee when you get home

#54 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

Monkhey -  Well, that's certainly a switch from earlier today!  A "grower", indeed!  :lol:

While I'm always up for lots of new material, I usually find a twelve-to-thirteen song album has a little more quality-control than a 16-17 song one.  To me, Self-Titled and White Blood Cells have a few too many underdeveloped tracks in their home stretches.

Yeah, they grew faster than expected hahahaha. I dont agree at all, maybe its just from growing up with those albums but every song has its own fun story for me. Plus, hes had a good amount of time to make plenty of quality songs. I would like a nice double album. Im obviously just missing JW and want as much material as possible :)

Edited by Monkhey, 11 January 2018 - 06:36 AM.

#55 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

if some of you liked the video I recommend watching Von Triers 'Melancholia' if you havent seen it already

That jumped out at me right away.  Apparently Jack said in Vault chat yesterday that he hasn't seen it, but the director of the video must have.

Kali hasn't chimed in yet.  Heh, I think she's considering her thoughts very carefully, and possibly a little ambivalent.  

Or maybe she's just busy at work.

All of the above. The music is just as fresh and dynamic as I had the impression it would be, after listening to Servings and Portions. But the lyrics are...  disappointing. Very earnest, yes, and the sentiment is beautiful, but there's none of the usual wit that he uses to raise simplicity above the level of cliché.  The video gives Connected By Love a lot more depth, but there's no video to do the same for Respect Commander.

Edited by Kali Durga, 11 January 2018 - 07:37 AM.

#56 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

That jumped out at me right away.  Apparently Jack said in Vault chat yesterday that he hasn't seen it, but the director of the video must have.

All of the above. The music is just as fresh and dynamic as I had the impression it would be, after listening to Servings and Portions. But the lyrics are...  disappointing. Very earnest, yes, and the sentiment is beautiful, but there's none of the usual wit that he uses to raise simplicity above the level of cliché.  The video gives Connected By Love a lot more depth, but there's no video to do the same for Respect Commander.

Well i think respect commander Is a bside so it doesnt really need more depth.

#57 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

It's on the album.

#58 Jack White Mini me!

Jack White Mini me!

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, they grew faster than expected hahahaha. I dont agree at all, maybe its just from growing up with those albums but every song has its own fun story for me. Plus, hes had a good amount of time to make plenty of quality songs. I would like a nice double album. Im obviously just missing JW and want as much material as possible :)

Ohh now you've put the idea that a double album might be possible into my head, damn you!!  :P

#59 Francisco Mosimann

Francisco Mosimann

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Based on the description of the youtube (“Respect Commander” by Jack White from the forthcoming album BOARDING HOUSE REACH) i'd say that its a track of the album. 

The song is in the BHR collage too, in the end, so it's in the album for sure. 

#60 Francisco Mosimann

Francisco Mosimann

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Agree with that, expect so much more for the lyrics of this type of song. Hope the lyrics will get deeper in the other songs of the album. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users