Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Official announcement from TMR--  https://thirdmanreco...lp-us-stranger/

RACONTEURS-1500.jpg

The Raconteurs – Jack White, Brendan Benson, Jack Lawrence, and Patrick Keeler – have announced the release of their long-awaited new album, HELP US STRANGER, which is the GRAMMY® Award-winning rock band’s third studio LP and first new album in more than a decade. Out on Friday, June 21, HELP US STRANGER sees the mighty combo reassembled, stronger and perhaps even more vital than ever before as they continue to push rock 'n' roll forward into its future, bonding prodigious riffs, blues power, sinewy psychedelia, Detroit funk, and Nashville soul via Benson and White’s uncompromising songcraft and the band’s steadfast musical muscle. With HELP US STRANGER, The Raconteurs have returned right when they are needed most, unified and invigorated with boundless ambition, infinite energy and a collectivist spirit operating at the peak of its considerable powers, once again creating a sound and fury only possible when all four of its members come together.

White and Benson wrote all the songs on HELP US STRANGER except one cover, “Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness),” which was written by Donovan. Recorded at Third Man Studio in Nashville, TN, the album was produced by The Raconteurs and engineered by Joshua V. Smith. Longtime friends and musical collaborators helped make HELP US STRANGER, including keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist Dean Fertita (The Dead Weather, Queens of the Stone Age) and Lillie Mae Rische and her sister Scarlett Rische. The album was mixed by Vance Powell and The Raconteurs at Blackbird Studios in Nashville. Full tracklist below.

TRACKLISTING:

Bored and Razed

Help Me Stranger

Only Child

Don’t Bother Me

Shine The Light On Me

Somedays (I Don’t Feel Like Trying)

Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness)

Sunday Driver

Now That You’re Gone

Live A Lie

What’s Yours Is Mine

Thoughts and Prayers

#2 herpderpmann

herpderpmann

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

I wonder why the album's being released so late, I mean they're gonna be touring here in a few weeks... maybe they're still mixing?

#3 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

I wonder why the album's being released so late, I mean they're gonna be touring here in a few weeks... maybe they're still mixing?

Imagine some of it is wanting it to be the Q2 vault release - yeah they could have done it as a stand-alone, but consistent policy for jack the last few years is if he has a new album it gets on the vault release schedule. Plus mixing and mastering and cutting to vinyl takes a minute and they finished the album mid-March so it all kind of makes sense to me.

#4 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

So, we hyped? Been listening to Racs none stop since the new single hit. Cannot wait for this. Hoping for some UK dates soon so I can plan.

#5 leks

leks

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Speaking of new singles, presumably we will at least get another single between now and June. Anyone prepared to wager a guess as to what it might be? Maybe "Help me Stranger"? Hopefully third man doesn't keep us waiting two months for the next offering...

Also, checked out the Donovan original, not bad. All about car brands and love. Could make for a fun Racs cover.

#6 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:29 AM

I hope they release Bored and Raised. Based on the live videos, it is the most catchy so far.

#7 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

Ive thoroughly enjoyed all 5 songs weve so far heard both released (Sunday driver, NOw that youre gone) and played live (bored and raised, help me stranger, the Donovan cover).

Bored and raised definitely sounds like a song theyll open shows with.
Help me stranger has a groovy hook and gets stuck in your head, reminds me of a lot of 1970s singer songwriter stuff.
The Donovan cover is groovy just because they took it and made it those old school fun roadhouse rocker. I like.

#8 Nutteronabus

Nutteronabus

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

Hey Gyp (Dig the Slowness) is now up on Bandcamp:

https://theraconteur...ig-the-slowness

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,680 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

So much fun. The harmonica and drums are terrific :)

#10 leks

leks

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

Loving the drumming on Hey Gyp, also cool to hear Now That You're Gone without the fade-out ending. Between these studio tracks and the live new material this is shaping up to be one hell of a return to form for the Racs after all these years.

#11 leks

leks

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

Help Me Stranger video is now on Apple Music and it is bad ass! Great old time intro and super crisp production. Great co-lead vocals by Jack and Brendan too!

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

Very awesome. Someone needs to make a gif of Jack playing with the baby.

#13 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

I thought Help Me Stranger was the weakest song live but hearing it now I get why this was the next single. Really good pop number that doesnt sound like a lost Jack White song or Brendan Benson song. Its got its own thing going. Its nice to see that theyve found a way to progress from Consolers without just going bigger.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

I'm loving the congas. Never would've expected those in a Racs song.

#15 boomba

boomba

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:00 AM

Very awesome. Someone needs to make a gif of Jack playing with the baby.

like it :)

#16 selke

selke

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

I really love this new song! My favourite by leaps and bounds so far. I can't wait to hear the rest. 

Feeling huge waves of nostalgia from the last album and tour. I can't get to any of the shows this time around, but nice to have the memory banks of the last tour given a little nudge.

Going through all of the old material on their youtube account... Does anybody here still remember finding all of the stamps from the stamp poster? Or the strange infomercials with a phone number to call?! I hope that they bring a little bit of that fun and magic back. <3  

#17 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

Absolutely love the new track! 

My brother said it's bland, dunno what's wrong with him.

The video is hilarious when they do the anchorman camera look from 2:28 onwards.

#18 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

https://www.instagra.../p/ByfrSQQAbCv/

"New tune out tomorrow! Catch Jack & Brendan’s chat with @zanelowe on Monday at 9am PT/12pm ET on @beats1official, and listen for “Bored and Razed” as the #WorldRecord."

Today..

#19 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

Just loving it all, want the album bad now.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,680 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Love the energy of this, it's like a mash-up of Consoler of the Lonely with Salute Your Solution. But I can't help wishing it was more Salute than Consoler, or that they'd separated Jack's and Brendan's lyrics into separate songs.  

I think this is the first early review of the album so far--  https://tonedeaf.the...tranger-review/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users