#16002 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

^ Please elaborate.

Yeah, Tam, Wes Anderson films always have great casts.  He's a unique talent, to be sure.  And his last two films were my favourites of their respective years, so it goes without saying I'm looking forward to that.

Edited by J.C., 23 December 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#16003 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

what was the movie about?  was it about the kid?  was it about the cult?  was it about the parents?  key information missing:  how did this kid get into this world?  at least give us a hint. it just felt silly, and I typically like movies about links to other "worlds."  

Edited by stripes42, 23 December 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#16004 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

I see your point, and I wasn't over-the-moon for the film (I prefer the director's earlier efforts), but sometimes these things are more interested in creating mood and atmosphere than spelling out what will invariably be, on the surface, derivative plot elements.

#16005 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

Tampopo.  Strange and cute and funny and heart-warming.  

#16006 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

Noodles!

#16007 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

And raw eggs and prawns ;)

#16008 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Manchester by the Sea.  it was good.  not quite worth the fuss it's getting though imo.  looking forward to seeing La La Land this weekend.

#16009 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

To me, most truly great films have a bit wider, and more nuanced, range of expression.  But like you said, it's good.

#16010 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

saw Paterson last night -- wow, Adam Driver is really making his mark.  I loved the film.  (did you know Jim Jarmusch is from Akron?  my hometown, just discovered that fact.)

I also saw and loved La La Land.

#16011 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Even though I'm well aware it deals with jazz in very broad terms, I'd be perfectly fine with that taking home the Best Picture Oscar, insofar as I actually care about those awards, which isn't much.  I thought Moonlight was a terrific (elegant, nuanced) film as well, but I felt La La Land delivered on a wider spectrum of filmmaking qualities, and would stand up better to repeat viewings.

Scorsese's Silence has some handsome cinematography and good performances, but is so given to repetition (characters constantly being asked to step on the bible -- just as a gesture -- to be released from imprisonment) that, to me, it becomes unintentionally comedic at times.  And it seems like some Japanese extras only have two primary modes of acting in historical films:  totally docile, or wildly melodramatic.

Ouija: Origin of Evil, if you'll believe, actually got quite good reviews, unlike the original film in the series.  It's plenty derivative, but it effectively evokes time and place, and is pretty atmospheric, with some solid performances.  Not bad.

#16012 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

The Lego Batman Movie is often very funny, but I wish it hadn't taken the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to storytelling that the earlier theatrical Lego flick utilized.  Plenty of elements of the Batman franchise -- and particularly the Rogues Gallery -- are ripe for lampooning, but there are a lot of jokes, and characters, here which could've been in any Lego-themed production.  Still, I can't fault lines or exchanges like this these too much:

Robin: "Wait, Batman lives in Bruce Wayne's basement?"

Batman: "No, Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic."

"I'm gonna punch you so hard that words describing my actions will spontaneously materialize."

And hey, above all else, if it encourages people to work on their abs (Batman has a nine-pack) for the future prosperity of humanity, it will all be worth it. ;)

Edited by J.C., 10 February 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#16013 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Watched Zombieland Friday night.  Quite funny, and the song over the ending credits cracked me up even more because it was so unexpected.  Woody Harrelson has definitely found his niche.

Went to see Logan yesterday. Hugh Jackman proved yet again, once and for all, that no one else could've played Wolverine but him.  And the Deadpool bit before the film begins was almost worth the price of admission on its own.

Going to see I Am Not Your Negro this afternoon. I've listened to Marc Maron's WTF interview with the director, Raoul Peck, twice already and cannot wait to see this film. 

#16014 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

We saw Logan this past weekend and Get Out yesterday.  I loved them both.  Get Out was especially great because I went in knowing next to nothing about it; I hadn't seen a trailer or anything, so I was totally along for the ride with the protagonist.

#16015 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Saw Kedi this afternoon and now I really want to go to Istanbul.

J.C., have you ever read James Baldwins' book of film critiques, The Devil Finds Work?  https://www.theatlan...written/359996/

#16016 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

No, Tam, I have not.  I'm interested in the art of film criticism, but sometimes I get turned off when certain critics focus too aggressively on the supposed political angles of movies.  And it can be very annoying when they're always viewing them primarily through the prism of race.  The backlash to La La Land in some circles (heaven forbid, it has TWO WHITE LEADS) was way over-the-top, IMO, not that I had any issue with Moonlight taking home Best Picture at the Oscars. 

#16017 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Well, I can understand Baldwin's perspective, but yours, too.  Movies are a reflection of society, sometimes whether they want to be or not. But they're also an art form and sometimes it's good to just judge them purely aesthetically.

#16018 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Oh, Hollywood should be called out for patronizing depictions of minorities or race relations.  I'm just referring to the antagonistic or even combative tone some reviewers take.  I'm more into careful reflection, myself...trying to be evenhanded about things.  A regularly-disregarded film critic like Armond White may occasionally make some valid points about the sociopolitical content of films, but most of the time, his tone is so condescending and borderline egocentric ("Look at me!  Look at me!  I'm bashing the thing everyone else likes!") that any credible things he brings up get washed away.  (I am in no way trying to equate the writing of White with Baldwin, BTW.)

And keep in mind that my all-time-favourite film is Touch of Evil, where Charlton Heston plays a Mexican.  Sometimes you've just got to roll with it, people. ;)

Edited by J.C., 13 March 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#16019 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

I ordered the book yesterday and am looking forward to reading it. We'll see how I feel afterward.

I love the hell out of Touch of Evil, too. But the casting of Heston is definitely curious. Was he that popular an actor at the time that they wanted to cash in on his fame?  Were there no Mexican actors who could have played that role?

#16020 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

It's probably an issue of the studio not letting Welles make the film unless it featured some familiar Hollywood actors with box-office appeal, but I've never really looked into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users