macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Isn't it The Bear Necessities?

I'm so confused. :lol:

ETA:  Just checked, and yeah, they avoided the actual (visual, as opposed to aural) pun, and went the grammatically-correct route with the title.  Weird.

that's why a bear can rest at ease. Bare, I would imagine.

#15982 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

Deadpool. 

Not nearly as good as all the hype suggested.  Both Reynolds and Baccarin are good in it.  I chuckled a few times, but in all I almost dozed off a couple times and was glad when I finally got through it.

#15983 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

Deadpool was pretty good, but TJ Miller was my favorite part <3 <3 <3 

Edited by ElectricitysGhost, 13 October 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#15984 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

On absolute slog.  Watched the new Ghostbusters tonight.  Kate McKinnon is easily the best part of this disaster.

#15985 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:51 PM

I watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the FIRST TIME

#15986 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

A "black and chrome" version of Mad Max: Fury Road is streaming on Amazon--  http://www.slate.com..._to_stream.html   Think I need to watch that.

#15987 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, they were originally thinking of releasing a silent, black-and-white version of it on the Blu-Ray.

#15988 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

That could be very cool.

#15989 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

International House, with WC Fields and George Burns and Gracie Allen and Bela Lugosi and Cab Calloway and a bunch of other people from that era. I laughed so much. They just do not make movies like that anymore. They couldn't.

#15990 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,572 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

It wasn't last movie I saw, I saw it last winter. But I still think about it quit often. It was von Trier's Melancholia and it made an impression on me. I have to see it again.

#15991 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Really good.  Great action, great casting, made me laugh, made me tear up, made me want to see it again.

One of my favorite moments was actually a CGI moment.  Just a tiny thing-- At one point, one of the larger of the escaped creatures is on a platform with two small steps. As it moves, it's so large and takes up so much space that one of its feet slips down a step. It was a such a simple, actually unnecessary, and yet completely realistic move, it really impressed me that someone thought of including it.

#15992 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

oh, that's good to know!^^  

watched Herzog's Grizzly Man last night on-demand.  crazy person.  fascinating though! 

#15993 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:46 PM

One of my favorite moments was actually a CGI moment.  Just a tiny thing-- At one point, one of the larger of the escaped creatures is on a platform with two small steps. As it moves, it's so large and takes up so much space that one of its feet slips down a step. It was a such a simple, actually unnecessary, and yet completely realistic move, it really impressed me that someone thought of including it.

Sounds like an inspired piece of character animation! It's an art so often overlooked for/misidentified with rendering or compositing, and one nobody ever thinks about when going on their overrated rants of "CGI is ruining movies!" I want to see this, but I probably won't make it since I need to go see the Arrival for my next movie.

I did go to see Moana today. Even though you guys must be tired of seeing me say this about animated movies, I loved it and IT'S SO DAMN PRETTY! But, film is a visual medium, and animation opens up visual possibilities usually unavailable to live action, so I feel no shame about this! The story is very good too, and the characters are excellent. I'm still stunned that the Rock is a legitimate movie star, but he is perfect for Maui. I love the hand drawn tattoos (animated by Eric Goldberg, though oft over looked non-Robin Williams half of the genius that was the Genie). There's a middle scene which feels like it still needs to fit into the movie better in my mind, featuring Jemaine from the Flight of the Concords, but it will probably feel more natural as I watch it more. The music was great, too. Nothing quite as stand-out as Frozen's soundtrack, but probably of equal or higher real quality. And there's no fucking troll song.

On a related note, I also finally listened to the Hamilton soundtrack on my drive back to MI today. I then promptly listened to it again.

#15994 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

Saw Fantastic Beasts and Moana over the holiday weekend.  I loved Moana--a lot; way better than the trailer make it out to be. 

I couldn't get into Beasts at all.  Kind of like visiting Middle Earth again with The Hobbit after LOTR wrapped up--just hard to jump back in and care much about the characters.  Also, is Newt supposed to be on the autism spectrum?  That's fine, but it felt a little over the top, and I had a difficult time hearing what he was saying sometimes because of the low-toned mumbleness of the character.  I also chuckled out loud at the

Spoiler

Edited by billdore, 28 November 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#15995 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

The dollar store sells movies???? Albeit, $3. Doubt and Like Water For Chocolate.

#15996 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:08 AM

Also, is Newt supposed to be on the autism spectrum?  That's fine, but it felt a little over the top, and I had a difficult time hearing what he was saying sometimes because of the low-toned mumbleness of the character.

From what I read about the film after seeing it, Newt's the type who's much more comfortable around animals than around fellow humans, which makes his mumbling make sense (to me, at least).  Eddie Redmayne went through some interesting character prep--  https://www.pottermo...-eddie-redmayne

#15997 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

As a Harry Potter diehard, I was disappointed with Fantastic Beasts.  I ADORED Newt and I thought Eddie Redmayne was a great casting decision, but I honestly would have enjoyed the film so much more if it was just two hours of chasing magical creatures around Manhattan.  Those scenes were when the film really shined, in my opinion.  The rest of it felt like they were trying to cram too much into one movie, and all of the action really just felt like it was packed in to set up for the coming sequels.  (Because of course there will be like four sequels.)  The reveal was absurd.  As a superfan, I'm always thrilled to get more details about the wizarding world, but JK Rowling's grasp on American history and culture is supremely lacking.  She pulled off wrapping all the Harry Potter magic in with British folklore because it was something she was actually familiar with, but so much of the American wizarding stuff is off the mark.  (See: JK Rowling's writing about "Native American magic" on Pottermore and how European wizards and Native American wizards were buddies because they were both persecuted.  <_< )

The sequels should just be about the niffler.

#15998 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

J.C., have you seen this?  --> Wes Anderson Just Announced the Voice Cast for His Animated Movie About Dogs, and It Is Insane

#15999 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

that's quite a list! ^^

we watched Hell or High Water last night.  it's tough to appreciate the storyline as a leftist Californian.  all those guns, lol.  felt like it was trying to be in the same mold as No Country for Old Men, an unattainable goal, but a nice try.

#16000 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

Rogue One.  I really enjoyed it, it stood on it's own.  And my goodness, loved the ending, how it moves right into A New Hope.  Good use of CGI.  It's crazy how far we've come, technology wise on the big screen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users