68 replies to this topic

#61 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is gonna be like total blasphemy around here, oh no don't revoke my hipster card!, but I thought the Black Lips were really really boring. I felt extremely disconnected from them. I think part of it was the big barrier between the band and the audience, a result of them playing in a large theater, but there must be some way for them to overcome this. Another problem was, despite being very close to the front, I could hardly see them because of some big giant people directly in front of me, and from what I gather their act is based on visuals. I occasionally caught a glimpse of a dude in a pink hat on the right, he looked like that one dude in the Beastie Boys, and I think he bounced around a lot or something. Once in a while I could see the drummer, and he made silly faces, hooray for silly faces. There was another guy with wet, curly hair, but all he did was stand still and sing with his eyes closed, totally checked out. Then there was the guy on the left in the jean jacket with what looked like metal teeth. Him I could see. Once in a while he'd contribute inaudible backing vocals, otherwise he'd turn around once in a while, but basically he just stood there and nodded. Another problem was their songs all sound the same, and it was as if they were playing the same three songs over and over again. Fast one fast one slow one, fast one fast one slow one, et cetera. I didn't have a problem with the Raconteurs set, it was... it was the Raconteurs all right. It's always a kick seeing Jack White, and I adore Jack Lawrence, but I gotta say, I prefer The White Stripes by a very large margin. They were pretty good though.

Edited by mittensonfire, 10 June 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#62 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Here's another thing. This was my first Raconteurs show, and I haven't seen the White Stripes in an "up close" venue since the Aragon Ballroom back in 2003, and holy hell, I forgot how much Jack White spits when he sings! I'm not making a good/bad value judgement on that, but Mark said it's good because a singer needs to have a wet mouth or else they sound like Bill Cosby all the time. Well, that's not EXACTLY what he said, but you get the idea.

#63 bclc28

bclc28

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

My take:

This is my second Raconteur show. First being at the Michigan Theater 8/5/2006. I really loved both shows. They sound great in concert. Patrick Keeler is a great drummer. Their show was better this time. More and better matieral. Jack was more reserved in this show than the one in Ann Arbor. Raconteurs are my second favorite band.

With that said I would rather see the White Stripes. I saw what is currently their last show in the City of Detroit. October 2, 2005 at the Masonic Temple. It was religious experience. Jack went on a guitar tirade that was amazing. Luckily, this concert was broadcasted on Sirius Radio and I have the recording.

#64 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

So did these Detroit shows get taped or what?

#65 aaronweeks

aaronweeks

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

huh. I never posted my stuff here. not sure why...

only have three videos:
http://www.youtube.c...E923DA43BDA78BD

i have some pretty good photos though.

sorry for the over-a-year-long delay. i never thought about it until now.

#66 jscott

jscott

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

bclc28 could you please upload your recording of that show

#67 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

bclc28 could you please upload your recording of that show

yeah, I don't have this show and I always like broadcasts because they usually sound a little better - if you could up your recording of this show you would make several people very happy! Thanks for any help in advance... :D

#68 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

i think bclc28 mean recording of white stripes show :unsure: but if you have one of rac's then share it please!

#69 jscott

jscott

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Damn I completely misread that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users