The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

A couple more reviews have cropped up--

https://www.slantmag...return-to-form/

https://soundvapors....lp-us-stranger/

And a really nice article at Billboard--  https://www.billboar...anger-interview

Really love this photo from the article--

The-Raconteurs-bb15-2019-beat-billboard-

Edited by Kali Durga, 14 June 2019 - 12:38 PM.

#22 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Also, the band is apparently going to be on The Colbert Show on 6/20, the day before album release. 

And they're doing a live performance and interview at an iHeartRadio album release party in NY on 6/24, which will be livestreamed--  https://www.iheart.c...er-how-to-watch

#23 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

And another article from the Grammy Awards site--  https://www.grammy.c...

""Our record is full of mistakes," Benson says. "Bad notes. Pitchy singing. Pitchy harmonies. Tempos are going all over the place. I love that sh*t. It’s kind of bucking the system a little bit.""

#24 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

VPs are shipping. Doubt it'll arrive in time for Friday. Might have to go get the CD if I can on Friday.

#25 leks

leks

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

I can't believe this album hadn't leaked yet. The anticipation is killing me, can't wait to pickup the LP on Friday.

On the subject of Vault Packages, it looks like from TMR Instagram that the next package will be some sort of reissue of the white stripes debut LP. Should be exciting!

#26 funkycandycaner

funkycandycaner

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:09 AM

VPs are shipping. Doubt it'll arrive in time for Friday. Might have to go get the CD if I can on Friday.

Mine is out for delivery today (uk)!

Edit:it arrived! Ive given it a few spins and I like it!

Edited by funkycandycaner, 20 June 2019 - 02:42 PM.

#27 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:01 AM

Mine is out for delivery today (uk)!

Edit:it arrived! Ive given it a few spins and I like it!

Oh nice! Where abouts are you? I'm North East. Having my first listen at work (via Spotify) on my crap headphones. Probably not the best way to listen.

#28 Nutteronabus

Nutteronabus

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:23 AM

Picked up the indie store version from Sister Ray this morning, and got offered a free screen printed tote bag. I lucked out, as apparently they only got one in, but it might be worth asking if anyone's buying it in-store today.

VnhqhSi.jpg

Giving it a spin as I type. I really like it so far, although I'm surprised by how different some of the songs sound to the live versions.

#29 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

My VP is here! Fair play TMR.

#30 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Mine will arrive while I'm at work today, so I downloaded the album this morning for the drive in. And I am so glad I did, it's the first time I've ever wished for MORE TRAFFIC on the morning commute.  In the spirit of our sadly departed and much missed Avard, I'm going to go all caps and say THIS RECORD IS SO FUCKING GOOD!!!!!

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

For those daring souls who feel like pulling the lenticular cover off their Vault variant, there is a very special, Beatle-y surprise...

#32 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

I need to listen to it all in one, I was skipping over the ones I've already heard. Solid effort though from what I gathered earlier.

Another edit, as highlighted in my video. Anyone else keep saying "Help me stranger" ?? It's confusing that the single is called that and the album "Us"

Edited by wsjack3, 21 June 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#33 RaZoRsEdGe

RaZoRsEdGe

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

Very pleasantly surprised by this album.....and its only getting better with each listen. 

EDIT: Ok let me listen to the full album front to back and ill come back with a more detailed opinion, lol. 

Edited by RaZoRsEdGe, 21 June 2019 - 09:36 PM.

#34 DerSchubert

DerSchubert

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

I rather enjoy this album too!
There's no song which feels "unnecessary" to me, I especially like "Only Child" and "Somedays".
For me "Shine The Light On Me" has a Blunderbuss-vibe to it, which is not meant as criticism. (EDIT: Haha, I just listened to this interview with Jack and he explains that STLOM was written for one of his last albums)

Edited by DerSchubert, 22 June 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#35 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:57 AM

So I've listened all the way through, rating each song. My average, as I expected, comes out as a 7 out of 10. Solid effort with some top notch tunes on offer. For those who like decimal places in their ratings (I don't) it would be 7.5.

#36 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

I've just been waiting for my CD to arrive in the mail, so I haven't heard anything other than the four singles and....Only Child, which is terrific!  Strong, evocative melody, unique instrumentation/pedal effects, just about perfect structure.  

ETA:  Listened to each of the individual songs I hadn't heard, basically in order.  Strong album, about on par with Consolers, possibly even better.  Like Consolers, light years better than their first album.  Lyrics still aren't as unique or eccentric as Jack's best work (solo and with TWS), but the song structure and musicianship is solid.

Edited by J.C., 22 June 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#37 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

I've just been waiting for my CD to arrive in the mail, so I haven't heard anything other than the four singles and....Only Child, which is terrific!  Strong, evocative melody, unique instrumentation/pedal effects, just about perfect structure.  

ETA:  Listened to each of the individual songs I hadn't heard, basically in order.  Strong album, about on par with Consolers, possibly even better.  Like Consolers, light years better than their first album.  Lyrics still aren't as unique or eccentric as Jack's best work (solo and with TWS), but the song structure and musicianship is solid.

oh wow, I wouldn't put it near Consolers. For me that album is near perfect.

#38 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

I'd have to listen to the new album, in its entirety, a few more times to settle on where I'd rank it, but I definitely prefer the way the guitars sound on this album, and given that, to me, lyrics have never been this band's strong suit, the style of the playing makes a big difference.  Anyways, right now I'd put both Help Us and Consolers in the 8-to-8.5 range.  And hey, it's getting better reviews than Consolers got (mind you, Consolers was a bit underrated upon release), so it's not like this is an unusual opinion.

#39 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

I don't do the ranking thing, I just babble.  If anyone's interested-- https://kalidurga.bl...-cure-what.html

#40 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:30 AM

I honestly wish I could curb the impulse to compare and/or rank things as well.  I tend to hate it when reviewers can't just focus in on the art in question (whether it's a movie, an album, whatever), and spend nearly a whole review comparing something favourably or unfavourably to something else.  It often feels too lazy and reductive, though I do acknowledge the value in couching something in a historical perspective.  At any rate, I'd really have to listen to Help Us in its entirety a few times, and then to Consolers and it back-to-back, to get a firmer grasp on my feelings about the two. 

ETA: I'm about to head to work (I work a graveyard shift), so I didn't quite have time to skim over the latest post in your online diary, but I DID read the "Family issues" post from February, and 1) I'm very sorry your parents and sister are having to go through that, and 2) I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling disconnected and whatnot from past friendships, etc.  While I've yet to read your latest online diary entry, I do very much hope you're feeling better now than you were then, just in general.  And not to bring myself into this much, but I'm sorry if my not being around here nearly as much has in any way affected you negatively.  I'm just not nearly the music enthusiast you are, and I've also been really tired and depressed for the past while, so I've not been posting nearly as much as I used to online.  I really only share my occasional opinion here in case you were curious about my thoughts, because you're holding up the fort here, and I figure some input from me is, I suppose, better than nothing.  Regardless, take care, dear. :)

Edited by J.C., 23 June 2019 - 01:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users