#22 DeadLeave

DeadLeave

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

FAD is probably their best song, along with "ive got a knife" and "stranger."
you still havent told me, do you know the band personally? (aimed at "idiotsavant")

thinking back to a few days ago when you said they never play in the USA, on the Die Slaughterhaus website it looks like they ALWAYS play in places in atlanta, along with other bands on the label such as The Lids! i wish i lived in atlanta. :(

#23 peppermintpig

peppermintpig

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:54 PM

They sound pretty good...but once and for all, being pissed on is not good. /even if it is "rock and roll" in some bizarre way - stop trying to make it sound like all part of the magical experience!

#24 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:06 AM

im getting my first taste of the Black Lips tonight...they're opening up for the Lost Sounds with the Lids taking the middle slot...im really stoked about it...although the idea of having to work tomorrow really sucks...ill just have to grin and bear it

i hope to walk out covered in blood, shit and piss....anything less and ill be disappointed

Edited by twitch, 12 August 2004 - 10:15 AM.

#25 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:23 AM

well this review has upped my hopes of a good show...at first it was just the Lost Sounds...but now the witht he Black Lips on the bill it has increased my anticipation

"They'd already had me at "Hello", but managed to jump completely overboard on their second to last song. Cole, with guitar solo fast approaching, puts his axe down and undoes his jeans. Big fucking deal. Everyone and their grandma's pulled their pants down on stage, and if you ain't John Holmes, aint' no way you gonna impress me. Instead, he hovers over the guitar like a mother to a wounded child and begins to hit the strings repeatedly with his cock. Hard. I'm won. It was THE quintessential moment. Nothing comes close. Nothing."

#26 human fly

human fly

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

bump.

c'mon people, just fucking buy "let it bloom." y'all ignored the coachwhips and Hunches threads, just do me this one favor and get an actual good record. c'mon.

#27 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, I've heard of this band, they got a few good songs. Fad is mind controlling, and I yell along with it whenever Im driving. Hippies is probably one of the most fun songs of the year, and Born To Be A Man sounds like the perfect blend of modern rock and roll and 60s garage.

Fantastic band, any album is good, but We Did Not Know The Forest Spirit Made The Flowers Grow is my favourite, it captures their, mmm, explosiveness perfectly.

#28 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:53 AM

The Black Lips have become, in the past few years, one of the very best bands around today, without a doubt. They just keep getting better and better. I wasn't super into their first album, but by the time I'd heard "We Did Not Know..." and then seen them live, I was in love. And then they released "Let It Bloom," which is really wonderful (I like the B Side the best), and the "Hippies" single is maybe my favorite single ever, I play it constantly.

If you don't know about this band already, you're missing out. I'm serious. Get something by them right now.

Here's their myspace: http://myspace.com/theblacklips

#29 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:56 AM

I have a huge Black Lips mix that I can't stop listening to in my car everywhere I go. They have provided the soundtrack to the end of my summer. And I still say that their show was the best live show I've ever seen in my life. Yep.

#30 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:02 AM

these guys rule....they're totally the bizarro beatles.

#31 lafayette:blues

lafayette:blues

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

ahhh, I got Let it Bloom last week! Plus the stuff Trent sent me, seriously awesome. And my dad likes them to boot!

#32 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

After not being too blown away by their older records, I think Let It Bloom and the recent singles have all been amazing. Hippys, Born To Be A Man, Make It, Dirty Hands, etc are all classics.

And they're such sweethearts to be playing in Toronto on MY birthday just for ME and all. They really shouldn't have!

#33 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

Ian from the Black Lips is a master.

When you're at it, get the Original Three record. It's Ian from The Black Lips and two other blokes, and Alicja Trout and Jay Reatard play a song or three as well. Get it. Get it. Get it. WAHOO.

#34 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, I've been looking for that since you reccomended them in the "if you like this listen to..." thread, but it appears they are un-slskable at the moment.

I posted a video of the Black Lips playing live on google video, it's some fun stuff.

#35 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

I shall return to slsk soon. My heads been among the likes of be your own pet, twilight singers, mark lanegan, pipettes and archie bronson outfit the last 2 days. Max Dropout has got their record too. I got it from him.

#36 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

Dylan, can you upload that record somehow? I only could find two tracks and it's good stuff!

Cool video, Trent.

#37 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

Dylan, can you upload that record somehow? I only could find two tracks and it's good stuff!

Cool video, Trent.

[2005] Original Three - Been Dealt A Losing Hand

:)

#38 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

later today I may post the entire "Party at Robs House' concert that their most recent single came from...it's quite a show.

#39 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

later today I may post the entire "Party at Robs House' concert that their most recent single came from...it's quite a show.

YOU're quite a show...
........so, what are the Black Lips like? They sound pretty cool. Would I like them?

#40 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

YOU're quite a show...
........so, what are the Black Lips like? They sound pretty cool. Would I like them?

Check out their myspace (posted above) or check out this video they did for Fad, here. It's been in my myspace profile for ages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users