3 replies to this topic

#1 jamos

jamos

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere on the board. Just saw a TV commercial for Samsung Galaxy featuring "Hands" and I wonder if Jack allowed the use of the song. Just seems weird to me. Thoughts?

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

He's licensed a lot of songs for commercial use. Though Brendan probably would have had a say in this one, as well.

#3 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

This wouldn't be note worthy if he hadn't come out with all those rubbish excuses for the Coke commercial a few years ago, saying that it'd have been a lot worse had he licensed an existing song and how he'd always loved drinking coke so it was alright anyway. It's pretty silly now, considering they had the "integrity" to say no to gap in 2001/02 or whenever it was, when The White Stripes were still relatively small (albeit coming at the big time like a train) and taking the money would make a lot of sense - I think most people see smaller bands licensing songs as a necessary thing to do in order to bring in income and carry on. But now they're all extremely comfortable financially, and the licenses are flying out for all kinds of commercials and crappy movies.

#4 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

This wouldn't be note worthy if he hadn't come out with all those rubbish excuses for the Coke commercial a few years ago, saying that it'd have been a lot worse had he licensed an existing song and how he'd always loved drinking coke so it was alright anyway. It's pretty silly now, considering they had the "integrity" to say no to gap in 2001/02 or whenever it was, when The White Stripes were still relatively small (albeit coming at the big time like a train) and taking the money would make a lot of sense - I think most people see smaller bands licensing songs as a necessary thing to do in order to bring in income and carry on. But now they're all extremely comfortable financially, and the licenses are flying out for all kinds of commercials and crappy movies.

If I was Brendan Benson, I'd still take all the ads I could get. Saw him live in 2010 and the place had probably 60-70 people in there, in a decently large venue. This was right off the heels of his Raconteurs days too. Too bad, world doesn't know what it's missing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users