7294 replies to this topic

#1 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:01 PM

This was already discussed a few months ago, but I'm still going to ask.

I'm reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It's very good. What are you, the forum members, reading?

#2 smashthesymbols

smashthesymbols

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:07 PM

i wish i had time to read books. all these classes i'm taking don't leave time. all i get to read now are text books.

#3 VanRoosta

VanRoosta

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:15 PM

Songs of the Doomed

#4 Guest_joeldalley_*

Guest_joeldalley_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:17 PM

Just finishing Sartre's "The Age Of Reason".

#5 lilywhite

lilywhite

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:35 PM

Wormwood - Poppy Z. Brite

#6 FreshZ

FreshZ

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:01 AM

Survivor by Chuck Palhiunuk (the author of fight club)

it's really cool about a cult mass-suicide survivor who is killing himself on a plane and telling his life story to the flight recorder. It's really cool, but weird. He sets up a suicide prevention hotline at his house, but tells everyone to kill themselves and most do. It's kinda funny that way.

#7 Crimson King

Crimson King

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:11 AM

I'm in the slow process of reading Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

For some reason I'm just not reading a lot. It's not because it's not good, it is. It's just that, I don't know, I'm just not reading a lot.

#8 Purplehaze

Purplehaze

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:21 AM

Between homework assignments I am reading D.H. Lawrences' Lady Chatterly's Lover. In case you don't know this was a highly controversial book written in 1929 and banned in Great Britian because of its frank sexual content. In the 1960s there were the famous Lady Chatterly Trials working for the publication of the novel. They won obviously and it was published and is now recognized as a very inovative and ground breaking novel.

It also happens to be quite good. sorry for the lit major lecture. . . :P

#9 irishgirl28

irishgirl28

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:27 AM

Everything's Eventual-- by Stephen King

From a buick 8--also by Stephen King

The complete works of William Shakespeare...(again----i read shakespeare alot)

#10 country pinball machine

country pinball machine

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:45 AM

right now I'm working on "sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs", by chuck klosterman

and the lion volume 2 - its all about winston churchill in the period leading up to world war 2

#11 katiuska

katiuska

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:04 AM

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

#12 pinkangel79

pinkangel79

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:15 AM

I just finished 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind and am about to start 'Paradise' by Toni Morrison.

#13 Dancing barefoot

Dancing barefoot

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:40 AM

I am re-reading 'Silence in October' by Jens Christian Gröndahl - an excellent Danish writer. really highly recommend him. I have read his three books (translated into english) in the past two weeks.

Apart form that, I just read the latest Rebus book by Ian Rankin (who I will get to see speak at a literary thingie in Oz in a few weeks' time, which will be great), and The Bride Stripped Bare - by Anon. most interesting read. Question: can you really ever know another person?

Pink Angel - that Perfume book was rather interesting and perverse in a way. did you enjoy it?

#14 Guest_#Uncle Vortex#_*

Guest_#Uncle Vortex#_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:57 AM

I am about to start on Jack Kerouac's "On the road". Just finished Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything".

#15 pinkangel79

pinkangel79

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 06:03 AM

Pink Angel - that Perfume book was rather interesting and perverse in a way. did you enjoy it?

Indeed, I was quite engrossed in it. It sensitises you to the world around you and you become so much more aware of the power of scent. The theory was fascinating and it linked to contemporary ideas about genetic engineering/cloning and power. It certainly made me think.

#16 Dancing barefoot

Dancing barefoot

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 06:08 AM

Indeed, I was quite engrossed in it. It sensitises you to the world around you and you become so much more aware of the power of scent. The theory was fascinating and it linked to contemporary ideas about genetic engineering/cloning and power. It certainly made me think.

I agree with you - I read it quite a while ago but remember how it made me take much more notice of my other senses, not just smell. We rely too much on sight and hearing - that's why I love walking at night and smelling freshly mown grass etc. how wonderful is that, and what about all the memories it can evoke?!

#17 Kate#3

Kate#3

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,079 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 06:20 AM

Fast Food Nation, It's good!

#18 Vyolit

Vyolit

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 08:26 AM

Ha...I am reading the Harry Potter books to my 5 year old right now and I must say that I am really enjoying them. It is crazy what this woman comes up with. I look forward to that time after he has had his bath and he is in his pjs and he gets in my bed and we read before bedtime.

I think we will read some Roald Dahl once we finish J.K Rowling.

#19 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,572 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 08:45 AM

I'm reading the divine comedy (people still in school, read this for your classes, you'll get an a+ just for reading the whole thing through) ans neil gaiman's neverwhere.

will be diving into the wonderful world of catch-22 next.

#20 candycanegurl

candycanegurl

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:11 AM

Im reading
the lion the witch and the wardrobe by c.s.lewis, its a childhood fave and i found it a few weeks ago under my bed with some old books

next im gonna read harry potter and the goblet of fire i already read half last yr but i couldnt get into it but ive been reading more books this yr for some unknown reason :D might help me with my spelling and grammar though hopefully. *smiles*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users