134 replies to this topic

#81 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, this is definitely the most fully-realized album the band has produced (listened to it a few times on Spotify).  To me, it's light years better than Sea of Cowards (where most of the songs felt half-baked), and the songwriting is sharper than on Horehound.  I also prefer Alison's voice here; I don't know if it's a little different than before, or if I've just warmed to her style.

About the only negative I'll count against it is that a number of the tracks use the repetition of two or three words in their choruses a few too many times (I prefer when songs only repeat a short line three or four times), which can make them all bleed together a bit.  Three Dollar Hat is pretty funny, and it's interesting how Jack sort of recycles the rhythm of his "never helps me out with my scams for free" bit from the Lazaretto single.

Impossible Winner is certainly the outlier of the group, but I actually really enjoy it.  Yeah, the opening reminds me a bit of one of those Lady Gaga power ballads ("You and Me", if I recall correctly), but Gaga's got a strong voice, and Alison demonstrates that she's got some really solid pipes here as well.  It's just a lovely palette cleanser, even if it's more of an Alison Mosshart, than a Dead Weather, song.  Gotta be sure to not make a typo on the last word of the song title, though, or it'll be mistaken for a song from the soundtrack of a John Holmes bio-pic.

Impossible Winner reminds me of the Kills "Last Goodbye" in that it really highlights that Alison can sing in such a beautiful way. You sometimes forget that with the way she can screech in DW tracks and sticking that track on the end was a brilliant move.

#82 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,096 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

This lp has been sitting on my couch since Wednesday :o!!!

I'll have to open the package sometime today ;) :D

#83 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Anyway, looking at the album artwork it sort of reminds me something in between of late 60's/70's psychodellic rock  /  Master of Reality  artwork style, which is beeing quoted in a lot of recent doom metal releases of bands like Orchid and such, but the addition of burning tires makes it look like it was influenced by the recent heat waves and fires in california.

And here I thought they were just continuing the Rolling In On a Burning Tire theme.

#84 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Impossible Winner reminds me of the Kills "Last Goodbye" in that it really highlights that Alison can sing in such a beautiful way. You sometimes forget that with the way she can screech in DW tracks and sticking that track on the end was a brilliant move.

when I started passionately listening to The Kills I was ecstatically blown away by the quality and range of Alison's voice

Edited by macwacky, 27 September 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#85 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

And here I thought they were just continuing the Rolling In On a Burning Tire theme.

could be  :ph34r:

#86 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

when I started passionately listening to The Kills I was ecstatically blown by the quality and range of Alison's voice

And what more can you ask from music, than for it to blow you?  That's about as good as it gets, folks.

BTW, I trust most of you are aware that the terms "dodge" and "burn" are, amongst other things, tools in Photoshop?  Which is pretty much the reason the cover looks the way it does.

#87 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

BTW, I trust most of you are aware that the terms "dodge" and "burn" are, amongst other things, tools in Photoshop?  Which is pretty much the reason the cover looks the way it does.

And they were darkroom techniques before Photoshop.

#88 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

Indeed.  But the Photoshop aspect is more pertinent in this particular case.

Edited by J.C., 27 September 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#89 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

Alison's clean voice > aggressive voice.

#90 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Do you only consider it "clean" in Impossible Wiener Winner, though?

#91 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:16 PM

You know, having to contend with an Impossible Wiener would probably explain why she's only feeling love Every Million Miles.

:mellow:

I do believe I've decoded this album.

#92 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

And what more can you ask from music, than for it to blow you?  That's about as good as it gets, folks.

I'm impossible

#93 terrycraig

terrycraig

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Oh gosh, I gotta say, I feel pretty disappointed by this album. Maybe I've been spoilt by the previous two, which I absolutely love.

I agree that the songs on here do feel more 'finished' than most of their previous work, but I would argue that this takes away from the jam-like quality that I loved about this band in the first place. (If I wanted more structure I'd listen to the Raconteurs, know what I mean.) Secondly, the guitar riffs and hooks seem mostly pretty uninspired to me; like they picked the first idea they could make a song out of when writing each song. Maybe the slight lack of structure they had in their previous songs has saved them from this before, since you can't have a half-baked melody to basically lead the whole song; it's got to kick ass or else. Or maybe they kind of lost that real energy they had in the first two albums and tried to fake it; at times it sounds like that.

Last thing I disliked: the lyrics were not only subpar, but sometimes laugh out loud lame. Like, 'Let Me Through' has a really cool beginning and a short, supersweet solo bridge, but the "boom boom boom" and the refrain ("I'm a bad man let me through" lol) is too ridiculous for me; like the narrator's a unwitting wanna-be tough guy.

Allow me to indulge in going through track-by-track (nearly), to illustrate some of the points I made:

The opener, 'I Feel Love,' is one of the couple of songs I dig. You can properly move and groove to this tune, the tempo slowdown is pretty rad, and Alison's voice is as mordant as ever. 'Buzzkill(er)' has a really unnessecary parenthesis to make a bland title look more interesting, but the song itself doesn't have anything to save it from blandness. 'Three Dollar Hat' is pretty fun and has some great furious drumming outbursts. Next two tracks (Lose That Right, Rough Detective) are very meh, and 'Open Up' sounds like it tries to make up for it by being more memorable, but the chorus just falls flat imo. 'Be Still' is kinda cool, esp. the beginning sounds like Bone Machine-era Tom Waits, but the screamed melody moments were unnessecary; I think the song would've been better if it had a couple subdued moments (maybe the same thing can be said for the whole album). 'Mile Markers' definitely has sick snaredrummin' going on, and the rest is driving very well too. The chorus, again, though, seems a bit forced and kinda reminds me of Britney Spears or something (okay, it's not *that* bad, just kinda oddly poppy). Now, 'Cop and Go' is my absolute favorite from the album. Badass guitar tone, a creamy sounding bassline, a constant organ that makes you sit on the edge of your seat, aand then that glorious bridge that swells and Alison repeats the words from the title like a mix between Zack de la Rocka and Patti Smith. Finally, 'Too Bad' is more filler, and 'Impossible Winner'... well, I'm okay with it; it sure is an odd one for them to do. Although I do miss something like their other album closers (Old Mary, Will There Be Enough Water).

I think what I liked throughout the whole record were the drums; they're not mindblowing or anything, but they really drive each song and make up for the so-so riffs (as opposed to their first two albums, where the drums were often a badass accompaniment to riffs that were killer enough not to need it). Alright, sorry to have written like, a novel =P but I guess I needed to get this off my chest, since, like I said, I really love their previous two albums. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Edited by terrycraig, 27 September 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#94 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

Interesting about the "killer riffs" on the earlier albums.  I only really remember the one for Blue Blood Blues distinctly.  And I find the wacky, fuzzed-out solos on this album much more rewarding in nature than what I can, again, vaguely recall from Horehound and Sea of Cowards.

Re: lyrics, I don't know that I've ever considered this band's lyrics spectacular or anything, but I thought some of the songs on here had some clever turns of phrase.  And I can forgive silly or unimaginative lyrics if the vocal delivery works for me.

Yeah, I like some degree of structure in my music; otherwise, to me, it sort of becomes a meandering bore after a while.  There were only really a couple of songs on SoC that I found compelling, which is why I didn't buy the album.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.  Different strokes, and all.

#95 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

I listened to Dodge'n'Burn one of the nights when it was streaming, ripped Three Dollar Hat from the stream and added it to the mix I made a while back of my favorite DW tracks, listened to it over and over for a couple of days in the car, received my Vault package, opened it, set it aside, and I'm still listening to that mix of $3 Hat with the older stuff.  And I keep coming back to this thread for J.C.'s jokes. 

$3 Hat is a great compliment to Cut Like a Buffalo. The rest... I gotta agree with much of what terrycraig said up there ^^  (Hello and welcome to the LR, by the way).  Even in that song I can't stop talking about, the lyrics that Alison sings are more than a bit pedestrian.  "I've got a knife in my hand and I'm gonna stand and deliver"?  I couldn't help it, I pictured Alison in Adam Ant facepaint and pirate costume. And if I were to find out that Jack wrote that line, then he'd be the one looking like Adam Ant in my imagination (which actually.... hmmm.... works really well).

#96 MacATL

MacATL

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

Please allow me to join the ranks of the Three Dollar Hat fans. I might listen to the rest of the record later. Or I might just set Three Dollar Hat on repeat for the next three days.

It's a killer song. Very different for TDW and Jack

#97 MacATL

MacATL

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

What's better than driving with great fuckin music?

A live concert :-)

#98 terrycraig

terrycraig

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

(Hello and welcome to the LR, by the way)

Thanks, Kali! Lookin' forward to seeing some more people's thoughts on the album, now that it's out in its entirety.

#99 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

To be fair, I've only listened to the complete album twice, and I was really making a conscious effort to be open to it, given my relative indifference to previous work by the band.  So it's possible I may come around to your guys' way of thinking with regards to Dodge and Burn on subsequent listens.  I mean, I hope not, because I'd like to really enjoy at least one of their album offerings, but who knows what the future holds?  I will say that I wasn't in a total rush to familiarize myself with each track after the second full listen, so that might suggest something. 

Now regarding lyrics, some singers have a vocal style that doesn't encourage me to really zero in on the relative quality of their lyrics, or in some cases, notice them much at all.  Alison might be one of those singers.  So I'm sure you guys are correct about some of the lyrics, but in this particular case, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me any more than it would be with a band like the Ramones (who have some really freakin' stupid lyrics, when it comes down to it). 

With Jack, because I'm generally really into his vocal style, and his lyrics are presented with a good deal of clarity in most instances, I'm more liable to remember, and appreciate, the words.  And even when he's more basic in his approach to lyrics -- say, on a song like Just One Drink -- he usually throws in some cheeky lines like, "I watch TV, you watch the ceiling", which makes the subsequent, less memorable lyrics more palatable.

Back to Dodge & Burn, I wonder how many of the solos on the album were played by Jack, instead of Dean.  Because he has a pretty distinct, frenetic, even spazzy, style that stands apart from Dean's more, uh, traditional (?) approach.

Edited by J.C., 28 September 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#100 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

I enjoyed listening to this album today. Jack's drumming is great, Alison's singing...

I just think musically it's very limited. I wish they'd do something to change up the guitar sound. I find it sort of repetitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users