3111 replies to this topic

#81 enany

enany

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 11:54 AM

They still sound like weak duo jets, to me.

Comparing the Black Keys to the Flat Duo Jets is a crime, in any context.

#82 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 01:46 PM

I never said they were good duo jets, man.

#83 bold99

bold99

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 02:14 PM

i started this thread, and haven't posted on it for a while because it has gotten fuckin ridiculous.....get over it....i saw the black keys and they tore the house down, they aren't breaking new ground but they are just a fuckin rockin band, thats it, no WS comparisons, no any other band comparisions, everyone has an opinion, a lot of people think the WS are a bunch of white and red clothes wearing MTV cliches....i don't.....obviouly if you don't think the Black Keys are good you have no love for blues...thats fine....don't get on here and start getting personal. I can sleep at night knowing Blues greats T Model Ford and one of the best blues record labels Fat Possum giving these guys the thumbs up even if other people don't.

#84 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 03:16 PM

...This isn't a dick measuring contest. If we need to stack our credibility against one another, I can do that, happily - but it's pointless. I obviously know and like the blues. I just can't stick a loop behind a cliche, and say it validates them. That's bullshit. They're a terrible band

and Fat Possum is the best blues label around if you're some snot-nosed white college student.

#85 koolaid

koolaid

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:53 PM

GOOD GOD! NME has a song by them up on their site right now...

just as bad as i remember them being live.

i will give them credit for having the balls to completely neuter "No Fun" in front of a Detroit audience, though. ah.. good times.

give me the Black LIPS.

#86 koolaid

koolaid

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:54 PM

obviouly if you don't think the Black Keys are good you have no love for blues

TOTALLY! :hammer:

#87 Guest_Rouge_*

Guest_Rouge_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:11 PM

Fuck it.

Edited by Rouge, 16 April 2003 - 06:12 PM.

#88 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:43 PM

The Black Lips are fucking great, man... They've been one of the best parts about living in Atlanta.

It takes balls of teflon to actually play the stooges in Detroit. Either that, or ignorance. Sorry to hear they didn't get lynched, though.

Edited by Dial M For Max, 16 April 2003 - 06:49 PM.

#89 WhiteLightHeat12

WhiteLightHeat12

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:17 AM

You're still an idiot.

nice opinion

#90 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:51 PM

Yes, now you're learning, numb-nuts. Anything I say would be considered MY opinion. In MY opinion, the kid is an idiot. Thanks for contributing nothing to the thread, though, man.

Edited by Dial M For Max, 17 April 2003 - 12:51 PM.

#91 lynntou

lynntou

Porch Ghoul

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 11:48 AM

I just bought their new CD and I think it's outstanding. It's nothing more than just gritty, down-home, sittin' on the front porch with a beer on a lazy summer evening, blues. I think these guys are genuine and sincere about their love for this type of music. They aren't trying to take the world by storm, they're nothing fancy, they don't have any gimmicks...they're just good, honest musicians who make really good music. I don't understand all the complaints about them.

#92 Dial M For Max

Dial M For Max

Elephant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 11:52 AM

try to apply what has been said to their actual records them. ie, hooker and duo jets ripoffs. "Honest" they aint.

It's funny. they are hated by a lot of their contemporaries, too. I just recently found this out. I got some hateful mail, and mentioned it to some other notable musicians, and they said "yeah theyre nice dudes, but theyre not very good"

#93 kaputnik

kaputnik

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 12:11 PM

A few of the cuts off their first album were decent, the new album is just not for me. It's all music you've heard before and done much better previously.

Edited by kaputnik, 19 April 2003 - 12:12 PM.

#94 blues_playa

blues_playa

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

Explian how the stripes are so much better than the keys. They shouldn't really be compared the music they play is alot different fron the stripes. The genres aren't the same the keys are blues rock the stripes aren't. And why is everbody Hurtin on the keys? the stripes gett nittun but love on the Black keys forum.

#95 Elixir Sue

Elixir Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

Explian how the stripes are so much better than the keys.  They shouldn't really be compared the music they play is alot different fron the stripes.  The genres aren't the same the keys are blues rock the stripes aren't. And why is everbody Hurtin on the keys? the stripes gett nittun but love on the Black keys forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I was under the impression that most people on this forum really like the Black Keys. I know I do, I just saw them twice this past week. :D

#96 thehappytent

thehappytent

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

i doubt people will still feel as passionate about this argument considering it was two years ago

#97 Alecks

Alecks

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:28 PM

i doubt people will still feel as passionate about this argument considering it was two years ago

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first I was shocked to see Dial M for Max was back. Then I thought one of his comments sounded familiar. Then I noticed I read it back in 2003.

Anywho, yeah. I own 2 Black Keys albums and they bore the shit out of me. I tried, I really did.

#98 xraymind7781

xraymind7781

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

i got mad love for the keys. their recordings are fucking brilliant. they get some serious results with their experimental recording techniques. i have a hrd time imagining how anyone whose into the blues could disagree with what their up to. saw them in detroit a couple nights ago. they were on fire.

#99 to_be_an_echo

to_be_an_echo

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

They played that big Detroit Music Conference this past Thursday at St. Andrews. I wanted to go but...work. And I got there and they didn't even need me. What a crock. Anyway, heck, I love the Black Keys. It's good listening-music. That's always the best kind, don't you find?

#100 M

M

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

What a charming thread. Rubber Factory is fantastic, wish i hadn't missed them live. they have a feel for it that's pretty rare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users